October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

1. Liminal - (adj.) of or relating to a transitional or initial stage of a process; occupying a place on both sides of a boundary

I feel like Andrew Hill occupies a region in jazz between avant-guarde and traditional. He's in a liminal jazz zone. Also, the lines on the cover could be interpreted as representing "boundaries".

Andrew Hill - Time Lines
IMG_20211002_154815190_HDR.jpg

2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups

Arcadia "So Red The Rose" (1985 Capitol)
The members of Duran Duran split into two separate groups over 1985 (The Power Station and Arcadia) and then reformed in 1986 as a trio. Other than Simon LeBon and Nick Rhodes, the other three members joined in and out of the band on separate occasions during the following 35 years.

IMG_1828.JPG

Day 2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups

For this album and the next two they put out, Sonny Mayo from Snot replaced Clint Lowery who had left Sevendust to join his brother in Dark New Day. Then after the albums Mayo was out and Lowery was back in.

IMG_20211002_165159.jpg

Day 2 - Fissiparous

20211002_171449.jpg

Sleater-Kinney - The Center Wont Hold

Not only is this a rather divisive album among fans (some thinking it's a POS album, Other thinking it's ok just not up to their standards. Me I think the album is pretty good and over hated) but its also was divisive in the band itself and caused longterm member to leave the band

Days 1 and 2
1. Liminal - (adj.) of or relating to a transitional or initial stage of a process; occupying a place on both sides of a boundary

2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

The last album of Simon & Garfunkel together. Starting a day late and with a 2-for-1 🤷🏼‍♀️

PXL_20211002_221811109.MP.jpg

Day 1 - Liminal

DJ Shawow - ...Endtroducing
20211002_221155.jpg

An album that is definitely on "both sides of a boundary," loving homage to vinyl culture while being a bold vision of what music can be and where it was going...25 years later, it still sounds fresh.

Last edited:
Day 3. Epistemic - (adj.) of or relating to knowledge or to the degree of its validation

All I know is that I don't know nothing.

Operation Ivy – Energy
Hellcat Records – 86893-1, 1989/2010

Cut by Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering Service

LMF0gg.jpg

ED8hlM.jpg

Back