October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

1. Liminal - (adj.) of or relating to a transitional or initial stage of a process; occupying a place on both sides of a boundary

David Bowie - Low

Low is broken up into two separate sections. The first half is made up of more or less “straightforward” songs with conventional structures. The second half takes a sharp turn into a more ambient, experimental and atmospheric direction with barely any vocals from Bowie.

DB66C537-8A05-4D95-9595-CA73A7D9661C.jpeg

1. Liminal - (adj.) of or relating to a transitional or initial stage of a process; occupying a place on both sides of a boundary

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

I was thinking of liminal spaces (hallways, entrances, lobbies, etc.) as well as liminal states (between sleep and waking, or life and death, etc.), and how Boards of Canada, and this album especially, embody the feeling of betweenness. As the first words you hear sampled say, it's "the past inside the present," being both and neither, making it the perfect soundtrack to wandering empty corridors. References to volcanoes, cults, and childhood games, all warped and faded by time, meld with sounds both synthesized and organic- a hazy and unresolved walk through the borderlands of time and memory.

IMG_20211001_131612683_HDR.jpg

Music occupies both sides of a black and white split color record.

Moses Sumney – Aromanticism

View attachment 113687
Everyone is making such great connections, but I wish I'd thought of this one.

Willie Nelson - Teatro

This album got me started on Willie Nelson. I had of course heard some of his stuff over the years, but this was the album that got me to dive full on into his catalog; backward and forward.

The Lanois production is definitely present, he has an influence, and yet it’s a live room setting…so it’s all played so fluidly and natural. Just a beautiful album. I’d recommended it for any Willie Nelson starter kit.

20211001_211848.jpg

Neil Young & Crazy Horse "Zuma" (1975 Reprise; 2016 reissue)
Neil Young is Canadian and American and lives on both sides of the boundary between the two countries. He has a home in California and is known to have moved to a cottage in Ontario in September 2020.

IMG_1827.JPG

2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups

This live LP documents Uncle Tupelo at the end of the line. By 1994, Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy had pretty much stopped communicating and the band would soon splinter into Son Volt and Wilco.

Rarely is an inevitable divide so easy to hear on record - their respective songs were moving in two very different directions.

In spite of all that, it's still pretty great. And the bands that emerged from the wreckage are pretty great too.

Uncle Tupelo - Live At Lounge Ax, March 24,1994

20210502_233650.jpg

Last edited:
I wasnt planning on joining this month but this Challenge seems super fun and interesting!!

Day 1 - Liminal

20211002_000520.jpg

Spellling - The Turning Wheel

The album is split into 2 different sections, Above and Below and many tracks explore themes of Life and Death and the thin line between them

Liminal

Don't Problem - Liminality

Not going to be able to play this month as I'm away from my turntable for a good chunk of it. But was a little gobsmacked to see the word for the 1st given that my favourite new release from yesterday, not yet out on vinyl, is this modern brass band record. Raucous in all the right ways, and with original compositions, this is proper jazz, not twee cover versions. Highly recommended (their first EP is great too).

Federico Albanese - The Blue Hour
20211002_001138.jpg

“There is a particular moment when opposites are very close, almost touching one another. When there is still light but not quite darkness. A world in between, where all things are uncertain, vague, floating into shade.
We can follow or observe, unsure where this would lead - into darkness or light; into the shadow of memories and dreams. A reflection of our desires and hopes, ready to be seen or unseen. It can be a sudden glimpse, with ideas turning into shapes, not yet complete. You can see things, but are unsure what they are. It is an unrevealed choice. A place to recover and heal, lulled by the security of the warm shadow of an ancient tree upon a hill."
~ Federico Albanese

Day 02: Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrox

2FC34674-0CEB-407F-AF70-0745A2315211.jpeg
Wilco had became divided amongst Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennet during the recording process of YHF. As shown in the Documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Hear, the recording of this album became the catalyst behind this fissiparous band finally expelling Bennett from its ranks and proceeding under Tweedy leadership moving forward.

Yeah, I didn't realize that. Dirty Projectors broke up and made a new record with new performers on this one. So that works with the theme, too! 🍻
Yup! Also, thematically, the album mostly revolves around band leader, Dave Longstreth dealing with the break up of with former band member and long time girlfriend Amber Coffman.

2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill

9F2FF6E4-227F-450C-9981-EFE381D40D52.jpeg

The Fugees had pretty successful solo musical careers after their first disbandment (Pras certainly less than the others, although I’ll bet you can still sing “Ghetto Supastar”).

Day 2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups.

They attempted to record a new album after this one, but Copeland broke his collarbone the day before, so they didn't....and that was the end.

The Police – Synchronicity
A&M Records – SP-3735, 1983

Cut by Robert Ludwig
Pressed at Europadisk

caoaIu.jpg

iLbYpX.jpg

Back