October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

3. Epistemic - (adj.) of or relating to knowledge or to the degree of its validation

Shabaka & The Ancestors - We Are Sent Here By History

The last couple of years I've been reading more on various African ways of knowing and different tribes notions of space and time. I especially like the Swahili notions of time which don't have a concept of the present like we do but rather a concept that includes this moment as well as the immediate present and past. This album was a great companion to reading essays on these topics.

IMG_20211003_140322.jpg

Day 2: Fissiparous

Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Mardi Gras

44AD8344-29F5-42B3-B0ED-8205FFB671F6.jpeg

The group had already been experiencing conflict (which led to Tom Fogerty jumping ship) but John forcing Stu & Doug to write, sing and produce for the album (or Stu & Doug incessantly begging John for them to do so, depending on who you ask) is what caused the group to divide and fall completely and irreparably.

Day 3. Epistemic - (adj.) of or relating to knowledge or to the degree of its validation

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - I Learned the Hard Way

Hey ranbalam, what cartridge are you using on your Fluance? It looks like an Ortofon, but I they may be too big to fit.

Day 2. Fissiparous - inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups
———
Splitting after many years with original pianist Ethan Iverson due to creative differences, the Bad Plus replaced him with Orrin Evans only to see Orrin leave 3 years later. He works primarily now with his other group, Captain Black Big Band. Now the Bad Plus has become a core duo instead of a trio.

The Bad Plus - “Never Stop II”

D530C38A-02A0-484F-98D9-D1CCCDBAC9F1.jpeg

Day 3. Epistemic - (adj.) of or relating to knowledge or to the degree of its validation
———
Day 3 and I still can’t find the right vinyl for this challenge! 😂

On this album, Art Blakey provides a nearly 2 minute discourse on his years in Africa and his observations about how drum playing there influenced his drum composition “Ritual”. It’s one amazing percussive piece.

Art Blakey - “Ritual”

2AE9B580-FB6A-4B4C-A3A8-35838AB6CEE8.jpeg

2. Fissiparous - (adj.) inclined to cause or undergo division into separate parts or groups

Drive-By Truckers - A Blessing and A Curse
20211003_183314.jpg

The end of the Isbell era of DBT. Jason Isbell would soon be fired from the band and put together the 400 Unit. His trajectory would particularly skyrocket a few years later with a pair of post-rehab solo albums, while Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley would continue to drive the Truckers down the road, releasing one of the strongest albums of their entire catalogue in the wake of Isbell's ouster.

4. Maunder - (v.) to talk in a rambling manner

I can't imagine being able to sing this fast, much less remember all of this nonsense. Lyrics below if you'd like to play along...

Meat Puppets - Forbidden Places

Sam

Maybe they had a ridiculous statement to make
About something they hadn't experienced
Possibly Sam had a different opinion
That nobody'd ever considered important
And damn it if Norman and Betty were listening
Somebody would have become a phenomenal
Howling lightning tampering with the electrical
Evidence shown to be relevant
Possibly with the exception of ivory
Everyone else had abandoned the obvious
Chipping away at erroneous garbage
Which definitely is as exciting as pudding
Deliciously spooned from the lap of the ludicrous
Into the mouths of the question less idiots
Licking their lips as their eyeballs are rolling
And flapping their tongues as they're losing their marbles
That's the way Sam's play around
That's the way Sam's play
Someone who wasn't related to anyone
Twisted the facts till the truth was apparent
And dished up a dollop of dubious doo-doo
That sparkled like something folks scrambled to swallow
Slipping the rich through the eye of a needle
Is easy as getting a camel to heaven
And granny transgressing had blubbered a bibful
Of classified info on Milton's imbroglio
That's the way Sam' play around
Maybe they had a ridiculous statement to make
About something they hadn't experienced
And maybe they had a ridiculous statement
To make about something they hadn't experienced

Day 4. Maunder - (v.) to talk in a rambling manner

Max Roach Quartet - “Ode From Black Picture Show” from “Pictures in a Frame”

This is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums; my first real affinity for jazz over 25 years ago. In all those years, I’ve been nonplussed by “Ode From Black Picture Show”. It’s a rambling song sung by Max Roach on solo piano (not known as a vocalist or pianist) at the end of the album. I did not find a video to share that cut, but it has always struck me as strange.

877AD1A1-6DCE-4BAC-B867-050DFE37C065.jpeg

Back