October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

24. Panjandrum - (n.) a person who has or claims to have a great deal of authority or influence

The United States of America clearly demonstrated their panjandrum at the end of the Pacific Conflict when they bombed "Nagasaki" (the final track), in the last time an atomic weapon has been used in an armed conflict.

PA289654.jpeg

25. Autarky - (n.) self-sufficiency, independence

In the 1982 movie The Thing, Blair, the Senior Biologist of the U.S. Outpost 31, reveals to the rest of the team that each piece of the alien creature essentially acts as it's own autarky. Indeed, even a small pool of blood can behave as an independent organism.

PA289655.jpeg

Last edited:
28. Rapprochement - (n.) an establishment or resumption of harmonious relations

LSG's song "All The Times" tells a tale of romantic rapprochement:

"Look at the times we've been apart
Though I have never had the chance to meet you
Look how long we've been around each other
And we've finally found a chance to get together
"

PA289659.jpeg

Here's the album cover, and the song:

Last edited:

You'll be given love
You'll be taken care of
You'll be given love
You have to trust it
Maybe not from the sources
You have poured yours
Maybe not from the directions
You are staring at
Twist your head around
It's all around you
All is full of love
All around you

Bjork ~ Homogenic

1635440415694.png

King Crimson - Thrak

When this album dropped and subsequent tour happened, I was overjoyed, truly. The Discipline-era lineup was my favorite, so to see Belew and Levin back in the mix with Bruford and Fripp (plus Gunn and Mastelotto to make the double-trio complete) was bucket-list type stuff. I saw the tour twice, and it was everything I had hoped it would be.

kc.jpeg

Day 28: Rapprochement - (n.) an establishment or resumption of harmonious relations
———
Literally harmonious relations between the playing of Shelly Manne and his Men!

View attachment 115876
Not sure what the etiquette is with commenting on posts here, but this Shelly Manne set is one of the best recordings of live shows I know of; both the content and the recording quality. The mastering on the CDs is incredible! Thanks for posting it 🥰

Not sure what the etiquette is with commenting on posts here, but this Shelly Manne set is one of the best recordings of live shows I know of; both the content and the recording quality. The mastering on the CDs is incredible! Thanks for posting it 🥰
Comment away! We play fast and loose here.

Pixies "Trompe Le Monde" (1991 4AD; 2021 30th anniversary reissue)
The Pixies had a pretty acrimonious breakup in 1993 but had a rapprochement in 2004 when they reformed. I thought this particular album was a good choice for today because "rapprochement" is a French word, as is the title of this record. I'm also reminded at how much I love this album of theirs - I haven't heard it in so long.

IMG_1931.JPG

Like @TenderLovingKiller® said, comment on anything you like. We give each other virtual pats on the back for clever selections and awesome records. Share stories, whatever. It's actually a lot more fun that way. This thread ends up being great for discovering random records (or adding more stuff in your wishlist, :LOL:).

We still on for coffee and random music geek talk tomorrow?

Like @TenderLovingKiller® said, comment on anything you like. We give each other virtual pats on the back for clever selections and awesome records. Share stories, whatever. It's actually a lot more fun that way. This thread ends up being great for discovering random records (or adding more stuff in your wishlist, :LOL:).

We still on for coffee and random music geek talk tomorrow?
yes sir (y)

29. Pertinacious - (adj.) holding firmly to an opinion or a course of action

This one's a bit of a stretch, but as soon as I read this word, I thought of the way Perter Brötzmann plays the saxamaphone, and how it could easily be described as pertinaceous, especially on the song "Machine Gun" where he blasts through his solo sounding as much like the weapon as a horn can.

PA299660.jpeg

Back