October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

29. Pertinacious - (adj.) holding firmly to an opinion or a course of action

MC Solaar "Qui Sème Le Vent Récolte Le Tempo" (1991 Polydor; 2021 reissue)
In the song "Bouge de là", the protagonist encounters various people from different walks of life with the pertinacious opinion that he should just "get out of here". So he eventually leaves so he can figuratively return reborn.

This spin is dedicated to @avecigrec for discussing this record in the French music thread.

IMG_1932.JPG

30. Timorous - (adj.) showing or suffering from nervousness, fear, or a lack of confidence

Super underrated band with the likes of Nick Lowe, Ian Gomm and Brinsley Schwarz doing the heavy lifting.

For those of you who didn't know British alt-country pub rock was a thing...

Brinsley Schwarz - Nervous On The Road

20211029_235554.jpg

Last edited:
30. Timorous - (adj.) showing or suffering from nervousness, fear, or a lack of confidence

XTC may have stopped touring due to Andy Partridges' discomfort with touring and stage fright, but that didn't stop them from continuing to make confident music in the studio.

XTC ~ English Settlement

1635609317125.png

Worried about you
"Sometime I wonder why you do these things to me
Sometime I worry girl that you ain't in love with me
Sometime I stay out late, yeah I'm having fun
Yes, I guess you know by now that you ain't the only one"

Jazmine Sullivan's song "Lost One" tells of someone's timorous reaction to an inevitable breakup, going so far as to beg their ex to

"Go out and fuck different people
To cope and ignore all precautions"

IMG_20211030_122819999_HDR.jpg

BTW, this album causes me such ambivalence. It's easily one of the best albums I've heard in 2021, however there's no indication whatsoever that it will ever get a physical release :(:(:(. Come to think of it, maybe I'll just burn some high-quality files on CD, and print out some cover art to quell my need for physical media :p.

Oh, oh, oh, I just found a great live video:

Last edited:
23. Internecine - (adj.) destructive to both sides of a conflict

When she stepped outside
Raised her eyes to the sky
The fatal stare is somewhere up there
Looking for someone to die
Soap and water
Will never get rid of that spot
That she's got
It's a clean kill
It's a clean kill
It's a clean kill
But it's not clean

Coriky - S/T

CF8D5122-0802-4473-8EF7-B997BA5D6D68.jpeg

24. Panjandrum - (n.) a person who has or claims to have a great deal of authority or influence

I'm surprised no one picked him for this prompt (or did I miss the post? Or was it too obvious?).

David Bowie - Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
2A81D133-DEB3-4C4F-BDDF-780231853196.jpeg

27. Sibylline - (adj.) prophetic and mysterious

Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels To Be Something On

The whole vibe of this album has always felt mystical and sibylline to me, full of mantra-like choruses and slippery guitar lines. There's even a track titled "The Prophet."

20200331_115638-jpg.38745

Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions

Going digital because the title of this album is too perfect for the word of the day... and now a reminder that I really need to pick this one up on vinyl, because it's a great album by one of post-rock's greatest.

Screenshot_20211030-153450-816.png

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda

20211030_173529.jpg

Alice Coltrane was incredibly pertinacious in her Vedic studies and pursuits in the wake of husband John's passing, adopting the Sanskrit name Turiyasangitananda, opening the Vedantic Center in California, in 1975, and serving as swamini (spiritual director) of Shanti Anantam Ashram which she and the Vedantic Center founded in 1983.

Back