October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 17: The Simpson’s Saturday

The Dave Brubeck Quartet ‎– Time Out (Colombia, 1959 First US 6-Eyed Mono Pressing) & (Fontana, 1959 First UK Mono Pressing)

While Brubeck doesnt specifically feature in the show, him music does! This is a great scene where Bart sits in with Lisa's group to play the drums (on a Brubeck number) and turns out to be an amazing drummer! Joe Morello would be proud!

IMG_3841.JPG

Day 17: The Simpson’s Saturday - Spin an album by an artist featured on TV’s longest running animated sitcom (bonus points if you include a video clip of their appearance)

Blink-182 - Enema of the State

Based on my extensive research, Blink-182 appeared on The Simpsons in season 14.

I think I'm too young to understand this theme... 😅 can someone help me out please?
Here's some episodes...

120 minutes was "cool" MTV. Lots of times, pre internet, it was the only place too see certain underground music videos. It typically aired at 12 Midnight on Sunday/Monday for two hours. Similar to Yo! MTV Raps or Headbangers Ball.

Last edited:
Found a full list of the songs they played on it here

Day 17 | The Simpson’s Saturday
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

The Simpsons was one of the backdrops to my childhood, and Californication was one of the soundtracks to my teenage high school years. I remember watching the Simpsons on Sunday nights when they would have a repeat earlier and then the new episode an hour later. And then when I was a little older, it would be on with Malcolm in the Middle, King of the Hill, Futurama & The X-Files.

I remember listening to Californication in the car on the way to Six Flags in the summers and on the bus rides to away games. At the time my favorites were obviously the huge singles (title track, “Otherside”, “Scar Tissue”). And while I still love those songs (and the whole album honestly), I find myself coming back to the 2 quiet outliers on the album more and more - “Porcelain” and “Road Trippin”.

IMG_0664.jpg

Day 18 - 120 Minutes

Violent Femmes "Violent Femmes" (1983 Slash; 2018 Craft Recordings Reissue)

Ok, so I did not know what "120 Minutes" and Matt Pinfield was so I looked it up. Being from Canada, I did not have MTV and "120 Minutes" growing up. We had our own distinct music channels on cable (Much Music in English and Musique Plus in French). Anyway, it seems like these guys played on "120 Minutes" in 1991. In retrospect, this might even be why "Blister In The Sun" was so big when I was an undergrad during the early 90s.

IMG_0929.JPG

Last edited:
Day 18: 120 Minutes - Spin something that would make Matt Pinfield proud

The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death

This double album clocks in at 120:39. It's long, and it's great! I don't know who Matt Pinfield is, but I'm sure he'd approve haha

Edit: should have read the previous posts before posting mine, looks like I had the theme wrong 😂😂

Day 16: Side hustle

Glissandro 70 - Glissandro 70

This one was tough. I think this might be the only album from a side project I have on vinyl at all. A side project of local musician Sandro Perri and Craig Dunsmuir, this is described on Discogs as "left field", "Afro-Cuban jazz", "dub", and "disco." Pretty cool record.

PXL_20201018_141118832.jpg

Day 17: The Simpsons

Thrice - Vheissu

I'll admit that I haven't watched as much Simpsons as I would have liked, so I'm not really sure who in my record collection has actually appeared on the show. I'm going to kind of cheat here. I know that one of my favourite authors, the incredibly elusive Thomas Pynchon (no one's seen his face since a photo of him in the Navy as a very young man), appeared in an episode with, of course, his face covered. This album, Thrice's best, was one of my favourites in high school and was named after a shadowy character in Pynchon's first novel, 1963's V.

PXL_20201018_145405251.jpg90.jpg

Back