October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 28: Isn’t that novel - Spin something that features a novelty song (Halloween themed preferred but not required)

Michael Jackson - Thriller

I'm not sure if this fits the bill or not, but to me Thriller (the song) has become such a novelty Halloween song and this picture disc is pretty interesting so I decided to throw this one on today.

Michael Jackson (3).jpg

Day 28 - Novelty Songs

Tom Waits "Blue Valentine" (1978 Asylum Records; 2018 Anti remaster on blue vinyl)

I don't have any novelty songs or records, so I decided to go with this album which references Valentine's in the title and includes the festively titled "Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis".

IMG_0955.JPG

Also, feels more like Christmas than Halloween over here this morning. This is what it looks like out of my man cave window as I spin Tom Waits.... (fuuuuuck, here we go again....)

IMG_0956.JPG

Day 28: Isn’t that novel
Spin something that features a novelty song (Halloween themed preferred but not required)
Ted Cassidy - “The Lurch” RSD 7”
300D291B-1CB1-4467-8EF6-12F599FED8FD.jpeg
This was a bit of a “what the hell“ RSD pick up this year. I was not really familiar with the track but I figured it’d be a fun one to spin around Halloween...and I was right!

Day 28 - Isn’t that novel

Knowing Sufjan, this 7” that includes two different versions of a song about Tonya Harding (featuring a beautiful hand-drawn cover) was done completely in earnest. For me though, it’s definitely a novelty record. It’s also a really good song!

8176A71D-C5E3-4964-A399-3F6735EEF62B.jpeg

Spin something that features a novelty song (Halloween themed preferred but not required)
Ted Cassidy - “The Lurch” RSD 7”
View attachment 72221
This was a bit of a “what the hell“ RSD pick up this year. I was not really familiar with the track but I figured it’d be a fun one to spin around Halloween...and I was right!

Day 28: Isn't that Novel

My formative years were spent listening to Dr. Demento on KMET in Los Angeles. Along with contemporary artists, he introduced us to the history of novelty songs. Always loved the wordplay in Tom Lehrer's work. And I'm sure a song title like "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" fits a Halloween theme.

Tom Lehrer ~ An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer

1603904336572.png

Caspar Babypants - Happy Hits!
Song: “Creatures Under My Bed”

34B0B025-1CF1-403A-B008-201E6EBE68AB.jpeg

For those of you unfamiliar (outside the PNW, likely), Caspar Babypants is the long-running project from Chris Ballew from Presidents of the United States of America, in which he sings fun songs for kids. He’s got a ton of albums, with a few greatest hits and a collection of Beatles songs that were put on vinyl. This song kinda fits the Halloween theme.

Day 23 | Record Store Find
Various Artists - Super Cool: California Soul 2

Some awesome songs on this compilation. Saw this at DG in Chicago in 2007/2008. This started my love for comps like this. Exposed me to a ton of music that would otherwise have been out of reach due to rarity & cost. Kids these days don't know how good they have it with these streaming services 😂

IMG_0698.jpg

Back