October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 01: Sweater Weather - The days are getting shorter the leaves are changing colors, spin something that reminds you off Autumn

First Aid Kit - Stay Gold

0D5273E6-C860-46F1-A8CA-1607F3FA5E28.jpeg
This album makes me want to curl up in front of a fire with a nice bourbon and just lose myself in the sister’s voices.

Day 01: Sweater Weather
The days are getting shorter the leaves are changing colors, spin something that reminds you of Autumn

Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
Starting out the month with one of my favorite albums. Julie's voice, and arrangements remind me of crisp, cool autumn weather.
It is so relaxing to open the windows, let in the cool breeze, sip on a fresh brewed cup of coffee, and be swept away by the sounds of this record.
IMG-1587.jpg

I fell behind last month but gonna try to make it the whole way this month

Day 1 - Sweater Weather
Seiji Ozawa & the Boston Symphony Orchestra - Vivaldi’s Four Seasons

Yeah kind of a cop-out but I had a long day today. All the seasons are accurate in this piece but I love fall in particular. The third movement of Autumn always reminds me of leaves falling.

73CC7E13-5EA4-43CF-B4EA-4FEDC3713ECA.jpeg

Day 1 - Sweater Weather

20201001_214617.jpg

Lorde - Pure Heroine

Pure heroine is the quintessential fall album for me. Specifically the track "400 Lux", the buzzing instrumental anthe lyrics about sitting in a car on a chilly night, instantly transports me to a fall semester in high school

Day 02: Friday Fun
Spin something that reminds of the best day of week.

So - I'm conflicted. With my work schedule, I'm usually off on Thursday and Friday. So even though I'm off Friday, I don't love my job and it tends to be a bummer day because I start thinking about going back to work the next day. Technically, Wednesday would be my Friday. But sometimes it shifts and my Friday is Thursday.

I decided with my work chaos any day of the week could conceivably be the best day of the week. And this song mentions every one of them. Replace the word 'police' with 'corporation'...

As a wise DJ friend once told me - "When in doubt, play The Clash."

The Clash - Sandinista!

20191220_010603.jpg

Spin something that reminds of the best day of week.

So - I'm conflicted. With my work schedule, I'm usually off on Thursday and Friday. So even though I'm off Friday, I don't love my job and it tends to be a bummer day because I start thinking about going back to work the next day. Technically, Wednesday would be my Friday. But sometimes it shifts and my Friday is Thursday.

I decided with my work chaos any day of the week could conceivably be the best day of the week. And this song mentions every one of them. Replace the word 'police' with 'corporation'...

As a wise DJ friend once told me - "When in doubt, play The Clash."

The Clash - Sandinista!

That info gave me a Friday headache

Day 02: Friday Fun - Spin something that reminds of the best day of week.

Girl Talk - Night Ripper

It has a song titled Friday Night, and this album is a lot of fun and a party in and of itself! Plus I just ordered Feed the Animals and All Day which I've been wanting to be pressed for a long time!

Day 1 - Sweater Weather

Lorde - Pure Heroine

Pure heroine is the quintessential fall album for me. Specifically the track "400 Lux", the buzzing instrumental anthe lyrics about sitting in a car on a chilly night, instantly transports me to a fall semester in high school
Wait this is Sweater Weather? I thought it was Buzzcut Season... 🤪

Art Pepper ‎– Friday Night At The Village Vanguard (Contemporary, 1980 First Pressing)

Ok so I admit this one is low hanging fruit, what with 'Friday' being in the title. But since Covid / lockdown I have found that I gravitate towards live jazz albums on a friday night, and this is one of my favourites. I picked this up a while ago in a local shop and there was actually 3 of them (Saturday and Sunday night at the Village Vanguard, I think), but annoyingly I only picked this one up. I recently discovered that they were collated in a Japan only box set, which I might seek out at some point. Really lovely, mellow session from Pepper here.

IMG_6360.JPG

As with @Yer Ol' Uncle D - my "Friday" isn't actually Friday. I usually work Sunday, Monday, Tuesday - night shift...so it's Wednesday morning when I get off work for the week.

But after 3 12-hour night shifts, I usually just want to go to bed.

Max Richter ‎– From Sleep
Deutsche Grammophon ‎– 483 5042 GH, 2015/2018

Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing - "Special Marbled" limited to 750

Pressed at Optimal

ZWaafS.jpg

brM76F.jpg

Day 2 | Friday Fun
Kanye West - The College Dropout

Pre-pandemic & pre-work-from-home, this album was consistently on my Friday commute rotation. It’s probably my favorite album ever. Whether I put it on in the morning to get ready for work or in the afternoon to celebrate the end of the work week, it almost always suited my Friday mood. But since the pandemic began, every day feels virtually indistinguishable from the last. Every week bleeds into the next. It’s hard to believe it’s been 6 months of working from home already. Even though I no longer necessarily listen to this specifically on Fridays, whenever a song does come up from this album, it still brings back those feel-good vibes from my more carefree days around the time when this album was released. It brings back memories of a time in my life where my free time & hobbies greatly outnumbered my responsibilities.

I remember in the months leading up to the release of this album scouring forums like this one and blogs back then (back before twitter, instagram or reddit existed) for song leaks and any information I could find. After 3+ years of making some of my favorite beats for Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Scarface, T.I., Alicia Keys, and countless others, I couldn’t wait for this album. And after it was released, I couldn’t get enough of it. I still can’t. Give me every single chipmunk soul sample, every single conga, every single corny pun & punchline, every single guest feature. Give me the earnestness of his faults & insecurities and give me his tongue-in-cheek braggadocio. Give me Freeway calling himself “slightly OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE”. It’ll never get old. This album can make any day feel like what Fridays used to feel like to me.

IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg

Back