October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 01: Sweater Weather
The days are getting shorter the leaves are changing colors, spin something that reminds you of Autumn

Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

This album sounds like falling leaves. Particularly the chorus of The Funeral. It also reminds me of my 20's and those late summer/early fall bonfires where you dress just a little too light for the weather so that the fire cuts right through your clothing and warms your skin. I've basked the record in a warm orange glow to really give you that Autumn vibe.

To the outside, the dead leaves fall on the lawn. Before they died, they had trees, to hand there upon
IMG_1061[2221].JPG

Happy October...I'd say Fall/Autumn is my favorite time of the year. I like the cooler weather...and the rain we start getting here in Oregon. Usually the kid would be going back to school...but for now she's still home doing the computer thing.

U2 ‎– October
Island Records ‎– ILPS 9680, 1981

Pressed by Allied

Gh0S9v.jpg

ukrEjw.jpg

The days are getting shorter the leaves are changing colors, spin something that reminds you of Autumn

I've had an IPA or 10 and I spy some low hanging fruit so my AARP ass will take the path of least resistance.

By the way, the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's not the best, most logical path possible...

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One

View attachment 68439

Whelp, there goes my first (obvious) pick!

Day 1: Sweater weather

Timber Timbre - Medicinals

Some spooky northern gothic folk to get October going. The temperature has been falling a lot the last few weeks here and I think this album is pretty close to the vibe I expect when I head up north this weekend for a quick autumn camping trip.

PXL_20201001_143738299.jpg

Day 1 | Sweater Weather
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Whereas winter is dark, and spring is hopeful, and summer is bright, for me, autumn always feels nostalgic with a tinge of sadness. Remembering the carefree times of summer while enjoying the last of the good weather before the gloominess of winter. This album encapsulates those feelings perfectly. It's filled with the wistful melancholy of the past mixed with the reluctant acceptance of the present. It's about childhood & growing up and coming to terms with adulthood.

This album recently had its 10th anniversary a couple of months ago. It came out at a time in my life that I was grappling with many of the sentiments expressed on this album. It was introduced to me at the time by a good friend who I was in love with. She didn't feel the same. Those feelings have long since faded, and it seems the world has since changed unrecognizably. But even when looking back at where I was in my life at the time to where I'm at now, this album somehow feels more nostalgic to me these days, and it still evokes those feelings of autumn.

IMG_0500.jpgIMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg

You Called
Day 1 Leonard Passes the Mantle to Earth Destroyers
War of the Worlds - I will spin this in an hour and finish off just past the midnight mark.

Forever Autumn🧣🌂

No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space
View attachment 68378

And he’s gone and nicked my pick to add insult to injury ....

Little Wings - Light Green Leaves
FD847E36-1639-427B-AD1B-32D73F6EB839.jpeg
I love flannel and the sound of leaves crunching under your boots and apple cider and stocking caps and rosy cheeks and wool blankets and seeing your breath on a chilly morning and Kyle Field’s Little Wings project so obviously I love Autumn. It’s last bit of fun before the dark, cold bleakness of winter sets in. This Album has a very autumnal vibe. It’s an album of acoustic sing-a-longs for campfire reverie. So pull that puffy vest out of your closet and bask in warm glow of Fall!

Last edited:

Autumn in Buenos Aires.
Spring and Autumn are my favorite times to visit.
My dad lives there, it's been tough not being able to visit him this year.
7E8DFBFE-50A4-4788-80D6-4D443AFB3DD6.jpeg

Lee Morgan ‎– See Autumn (Picc-A-Dilly, 1980 First Pressing)

This is a live warm-up session at the Here/Now Club just a few days prior to his famous 'Live At The Lighthouse' live recording. Its a real killer of a session, and the artwork is simple but affective!

IMG_7738 2.JPG

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

There's the title, which alone makes this an obvious fall choice, but this also has the most autumnal feel of their albums. (For the record, to me both Music Has the Right to Children and The Campfire Headphase evoke hazy summer days of different kinds, and Geogaddi occurs on an alternate plane of existence.)

20201001_151107.jpg

Back