NYClub

Waddup New York thread, I'll hopefully be a NYC resident once again on/around April 1st. Coming back last two weeks of February to apartment hunt! So excited to be back, LA was an awesome layover but I always knew it would lead me back home.

@David A. I have a Rottweiler and a Husky so need to be within a short walk of a park. Ideal neighborhood is going to be Upper West Side but apparently finding a building/board that will let two big dogs into their building is going to be a challenge. Main areas I'm looking in

Manhattan

- Upper West Side
- Anything along the West Side actually since the Hudson River walk would be great for the dogs routine
- Battery Park area (FiDi + Seaport)

Brooklyn

- Greenpoint
- Williamsburg
- Clinton Hill/Fort Greene
- Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill *I grew up here*
- Park Slope

If you come out far east to Yorkville, you might find it easier to find a spot without jumping through hoops.
Ill check out some apts on Street Easy today. Thanks for the recs! I'm less familiar with places on the East Side, for some reason I was either always in Brooklyn or on the West Side growing up there hahah

@David A. I have a Rottweiler and a Husky so need to be within a short walk of a park. Ideal neighborhood is going to be Upper West Side but apparently finding a building/board that will let two big dogs into their building is going to be a challenge. Main areas I'm looking in

Manhattan

- Upper West Side
- Anything along the West Side actually since the Hudson River walk would be great for the dogs routine
- Battery Park area (FiDi + Seaport)

Brooklyn

- Greenpoint
- Williamsburg
- Clinton Hill/Fort Greene
- Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill *I grew up here*
- Park Slope
Greenpoint is the absolute best. Walking distance to Williamsburg without actually having to live in Williamsburg, lots of great bars, restaurants, and record shops. Can walk to McCarren Park where they have a dog park or McGolrick Park which is nice. My wife and I lived in Greenpoint for a few years and loved it. That and Astoria were my two favorite neighborhoods to live in during the 16 years I lived in NYC. Also very easy to get to midtown if you end up working around there.

I’ve always thought about moving to Astoria. I love my neighborhood. It’s generally quiet and has the East River Esplande and a few good bars near by. However, I still have to walk 10 minutes to the train. But rents aren’t as exorbitant as other places in Manhattan.

If you need space for your dogs there's always New Jersey. Sure, it lacks the convenience, excitement, culture, cache, restaurants, entertainment, and grittiness of NYC, but it does have parks. And if you work in the city you can enjoy Penn Station TWICE per day!

If you need space for your dogs there's always New Jersey. Sure, it lacks the convenience, excitement, culture, cache, restaurants, entertainment, and grittiness of NYC, but it does have parks. And if you work in the city you can enjoy Penn Station TWICE per day!
at least there are decent Cuban restaurants in Hoboken

I’ve always thought about moving to Astoria. I love my neighborhood. It’s generally quiet and has the East River Esplande and a few good bars near by. However, I still have to walk 10 minutes to the train. But rents aren’t as exorbitant as other places in Manhattan.
Astoria is wonderful. We had a great apartment that was affordable by NYC standards. Incredibly diverse with access to great restaurants from every possible culture. Astoria is great because it’s easy access to midtown and parts of Brooklyn too and depending on where in Astoria you live, get more bang for your Buck in apartments. We had a gigantic 3 bed 2 full bath apartment with shared yard, central air, etc for $2400 a month or something like that.

I saved my rant for the hot takes thread.

When I see NYC rents, my head hurts.

$1700 mortgage in PA with a full yard, garage with second floor, etc. Yeah, I miss the restaurant options and concert venues.

Plus I don't want to be on top of other people; in fact, I want less neighbors in the future.

When I see NYC rents, my head hurts.

$1700 mortgage in PA with a full yard, garage with second floor, etc. Yeah, I miss the restaurant options and concert venues.

Plus I don't want to be on top of other people; in fact, I want less neighbors in the future.
I'm leaving in a week to start apartment hunting in NYC and considering the budget I'm looking in its kind of astonishing that there are few options that I find attractive. Guess thats what you pay for the best front yard in America.

Back