November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Day 17
National Hiking Day
Play an instrumental album that’s a great soundtrack to a walk through the woods.

This seems to be my go-to album of this duo, even when I have a few others.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis – West Of Memphis (Original Soundtrack)
J-2 Music – J2002, 2014

#RSD14 - limited to 2000

Cut at Nashville Record Productions
Pressed at United

iYe16H.jpg

hfCutN.jpg

This dropped off all the streaming or even digital purchasing for a while, but it's back on Spotify for now.

19. National "Play Monopoly Day"
Play an album you can somehow tie to the game, for example, maybe one of the pieces is used in the cover art or one of the streets are referenced.

Fugazi - The Argument

When Monopoly was invented it was already about 30 years old, because it's actually a mutation of the Landlord's Game, created by Elizabeth Magie in 1904. She was a follower of economist Henry George, who argued against wealth creation from land ownership (wealth should come from what you do with it, not just owning it, so he argued land speculation should be taxed). The Landlord's Game was designed to be played two ways, one was a cooperative game where nobody monopolizes the land and everybody ends the game better off, and another where monopolizing was rewarded and everyone but one person ends up bankrupt. Monopoly as we know it today is based on the version of the game that she intended as a negative lesson- "see, our economic system is making most people poor!" So, I'm going to blast this Fugazi album (that I really need to get on vinyl one of these days), because the opening track, "Cashout," is a blast of righteous fury about gentrification, landlords, and forced evictions that shares the spirit of the Landlord's Game.

Screenshot_20211119-063722-997.png

Day 18: Song Title "Mr. November"
Hop Along-Painted Shut

Saddle Creek is forever the best indie rock label.
View attachment 117788
I would probably put Sub Pop, Matador, and Drag City at the top of my list, followed by Merge, Secretly Canadian, Jagjaguar, then Saddle Creek, Polyvinyl, 4AD. Still a top indie label but not my favorite.

I would probably put Sub Pop, Matador, and Drag City at the top of my list, followed by Merge, Secretly Canadian, Jagjaguar, then Saddle Creek, Polyvinyl, 4AD. Still a top indie label but not my favorite.
That'd be a fun list to make sometime. Saddle Creek artists have been pretty much auto-buy for me for more than 20 years though.

19. National "Play Monopoly Day"
Play an album you can somehow tie to the game, for example, maybe one of the pieces is used in the cover art or one of the streets are referenced.

The Go "Watcha Doin'" (1999 Sub Pop; 2019 TMR Vault #41)
Collect $200 salary as you pass GO. The album also includes the correspondingly named track "On The Corner". They must have been talking about Monopoly, right?

1.jpg

IMG_1983.JPG

Day 19: National "Play Monopoly Day"

You can't get to Atlantic City without heading down Atlantic Avenue. A quick google search tells me there is a Atlantic Street in Brownsville Nebraska too, but not sure about an Atlantic Avenue.

Bruce Springsteen ~ Nebraska

View attachment 117794

51VwLkT3kCL._AC_SY450_.jpg

And taken.

The original US game was based around places/streets of Atlantic City.

Day 18
Song Title "Mr. November"
Play an indie rock album.

Discogs tells me this is "indie rock" among other styles - and I haven't listened to it yet, so here it is.

He also can be currently seen/heard, as Jeff - the robot in the new Tom Hanks movie Finch on Apple +

Caleb Landry Jones – Gadzooks Vol. 1
Sacred Bones Records – SBR-279, 2021

Cut by Chris Muth

ZEddcW.jpg

MxJoh1.jpg

Day 19: National "Play Monopoly Day"
Play an album you can somehow tie to the game, for example, maybe one of the pieces is used in the cover art or one of the streets are referenced

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
B29246DF-708A-4365-83FC-29F31F93083F.jpeg
@imtheocean beat me to the punch with the boss but since I went with a different album (and property) I figured I would still go this route.
4BB4EE5A-313E-48D3-9124-EB960D067036.jpeg

Back