November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

17. National Hiking Day
Play an instrumental album that’s a great soundtrack to a walk through the woods.

Menahan Street Band "The Exciting Sounds Of Menahan Street Band" (2021 Dunham/Daptone)
The album cover evokes the outdoors in the woods, maybe at night with a little voodoo. Songs like "The Starchaser" and "Cabin Fever" add to the theme. I'd totally use this to soundtrack a wacky walk in the woods.

IMG_1978.JPG

17. National Hiking Day
Play an instrumental album that’s a great soundtrack to a walk through the woods.

So there is a little vocals to kick this off, but is something I listen to occasionally when I go out for walks. Easy to get lost in, and a reminder that while life may seem out of balance, getting out and clearing your head is a good way to get back in balance.

Philip Glass ~ Koyaanisqatsi Soundtrack (RSD 2020 version)

1637172491230.png

17. National Hiking Day

So there is a little vocals to kick this off, but is something I listen to occasionally when I go out for walks. Easy to get lost in, and a reminder that while life may seem out of balance, getting out and clearing your head is a good way to get back in balance.

Philip Glass ~ Koyaanisqatsi Soundtrack (RSD 2020 version)

View attachment 117622

Aww yeah! When I lived in the Rockies nearly twenty years ago I picked up a Naqoyqatsi CD on a whim and wound up listening to that during quite a lot of woods walks.

16. National Drummer Day

Idris Muhammad - House Of The Rising Sun

20211117_100028.jpg

I wanted to play this last night, but Baby refused to be set down (or sleep, for longer than should be possible!) so streaming mellow tunes was the name of the game and today I get caught up. I don't have any Stewart Copeland on wax for the drummer love, but Idris Muhammad has been one of my favourite new/old drum discoveries of the year, and "Sudan" is an absolutely killer jam!

National Hiking Day

I totally misread this one at first but I have a good switchup for it.

Part of the fun of the (occasional) times I do a nature walk are the surprises the woods and trails can provide. Similarly, this one was a surprise since I thought I got the standard version off Ebay and it came with, wait for it, the instrumentals. I played the non-instrumental half yesterday so today is a good time for

Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi - Rome (Deluxe - LP2 only)

PXL_20210831_200030018.jpg

Day 15: “November Spawned a Monster”

So I still have almost no punk music in my collection (aside from “American Idiot” but I didn’t want to pick that for the hundredth time) and I’m completely ignorant as to what post-punk really is or what it sounds like, but Discogs, Wikipedia & Allmusic all categorize this album as post-punk so that’s what I’m going with…

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

E742FDC7-61BC-415F-BBC3-6117FB972389.jpeg

I really need to get some Clash or Patti Smith in my collection at some point…

17. National Hiking Day

Adrian Younge - Black Dynamite (Instrumentals)

B37A086D-60A9-4965-8CE3-992B6C9869D6.jpeg

One time I bought a Willie Nelson record and the sleeve was Willie Nelson, but when I put the record on without looking at the label and it started playing, I immediately realized it wasn’t Willie Nelson

Back