November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Day 20: Transgender Day of Remembrance
Play an album by a transgender or non-binary artist.

SOPHIE - Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides
E91DE4B0-B714-445C-A535-7F35AC50E62E.jpeg
The best that I could tell the only two Trans artists in my collection have already been played so I decided to listen to an artist that I’m fairly unfamiliar with. I can’t say this is necessarily my cup of tea but I was thankful travel outside my wheelhouse a bit.

I'm still gonna listen to Antony today, but Kevin Barnes came out as non-binary not too long ago. But rather than spin one of their albums I've really wanted to listen to the newest Of Montreal which I hadn't gotten around to yet. Loving the sound so far.
View attachment 117896

That's awesome, I didn't know that. I have a dumb amount of OM records

Day 19 - National "Play Monopoly Day"
Play an album you can somehow tie to the game, for example, maybe one of the pieces is used in the cover art or one of the streets are referenced.

Missed getting this done yesterday, as we were having game night!

Queen - A Night At The Opera

47E66E8D-2390-48D6-A0EA-4A0F69508611.jpeg

Grand-Opera.jpg

20. Transgender Day of Remembrance

Love todays theme. I'm amazed at how quickly the conversation and awareness of Trans/Non-Binary has come to the forefront since I was a kid. The awareness and acceptance at my youngest daughters high school is way different than when I went to school, it's a wonderful thing to see and learn from.

Kae Tempest is featured on this album, and they came out as Non-Binary last year.

The Comet Is Coming ~ Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

1637433067216.png

National "Play Monopoly Day"
Play an album you can somehow tie to the game, for example, maybe one of the pieces is used in the cover art or one of the streets are referenced.

I was going to dig out the monopoly boards for inspiration, but they're a bit too buried! LOL I've got the regular, and the Lord of The Rings version.

PXL_20211120_194131692.jpg

Found an image online of the board:
s-l1600.jpg

Mount Doom is the Boardwalk, so Doom metal it is!

Khemmis – Hunted

PXL_20211120_195338010.jpg

20. Transgender Day of Remembrance

Rae Spoon - Superioryouareinferior

20211120_173406.jpg

While they were already a trans artist upon its release, this album also marks a significant transition in their sound and artistry. I haven't actually taken the time to map out a proper list but this would rank quite high in my top 25 Canadian albums of all time - potentially even cracking the top 10.

World Hello Day
Play the album you would give to someone to introduce them to an artist.

This is one that has been talked about here a bit before and after a relisten to her discography, I stand by my original thoughts. The third of her six studio albums it's the midpoint between her bluegrassy roots and somewhat more ambitious current songwriting goals. It contains probably her biggest song, great instrumentation, and it has musical elements for a wide crowd. Plus, great Dylan cover

Also unlike my precious Follow Me Down this was just repressed and should be easy to grab

Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up From Bones

PXL_20211121_131643532.jpg

Day 20 - Transgender Day of Remembrance

I've been wanting to pick up some Ezra, and this gave me the push. It's the only one the local had, but a solid record. Would love to have a couple of the Harpoon records too, but noticed they've gone crazy in price. Fantastic performer and looking forward to expanding the collection with these.

Ezra Furman - The Year Of No Returning

ABD3C9B2-C160-4F53-9BDE-635A6D8D6FCA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back