Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Made kakeudon (かけうどん) for lunch. Decided to go a step further and make my own dashi broth with konbu (昆布) and katsuobushi (鰹節). Added a small amount of white pepper to the necessary portion of the individual bowl. Green onion (ネギ) and fishcake (かまぼこ) to top off.
I know it looks very simple, but this was incredibly satisfying. Worth the extra effort. The flavor is palpable from the instant dashi packets (which are still good).

20240522_123346.jpg
20240522_113330.jpg

EDIT: Added photo of ingredients.

Last edited:
Made kakeudon (かけうどん) for lunch. Decided to go a step further and make my own dashi broth with konbu (昆布) and katsuobushi (鰹節). Added a small amount of white pepper to the necessary portion of the individual bowl. Green onion (ネギ) and fishcake (かまぼこ) to top off.
I know it looks very simple, but this was incredibly satisfying. Worth the extra effort. The flavor is palpable from the instant dashi packets (which are still good).

View attachment 203726
Damn that looks good! Well done buddy!

In solidarity, here’s my most recent restaurant foray 🙌💜

IMG_1988.jpeg

Looks pretty freakin good to me. Less brothy than the versions I've made, perhaps?
It was still very tasty, for a first time attempt. I will try for one minute less cook time and less panko next time. The recipe was, as you noted, not very heavy on the liquid...could use a tbsp more of dashi as well.

It was still very tasty, for a first time attempt. I will try for one minute less cook time and less panko next time. The recipe was, as you noted, not very heavy on the liquid...could use a tbsp more of dashi as well.
I can post the recipe I used. It's from Japanese Street Food and was absolutely delicious.

I'd appreciate that.

I made it again this afternoon to take it to work for tonight's shift! Much better presentation.

View attachment 205277
Oh, that looks beautiful. Maybe you don’t need my recipe after all!

IMG_3737.jpeg

And here’s the book, the name of which I totally butchered.

IMG_3738.jpeg

I highly recommend it. There are elements that are slightly simplified (ie omitting nagaimo from the okonomiyaki batter) but all the recipes I’ve attempted have been great.

Oh, that looks beautiful. Maybe you don’t need my recipe after all!

View attachment 205304

And here’s the book, the name of which I totally butchered.

View attachment 205305

I highly recommend it. There are elements that are slightly simplified (ie omitting nagaimo from the okonomiyaki batter) but all the recipes I’ve attempted have been great.
Thank you.

Yes, it was very good. Probably would've been excellent if I didn't save it for work.

Back