Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Mediterranean green bean salad and some pulled pork

9YmShZ7.jpg

1gfLx5i.jpg

Family dinner last night at The Smith Restaurant in Lincoln Square.

Burrata, mac & cheese, shishito peppers, steak with chimichurri & fries, kettle chips, honeycrisp apple pie with ice cream, brownie & sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, s'mores in a jar, giant chocolate chip cookies, and a negroni.

rqLcYDu.jpg

ZUhlHNd.jpg

1YJlDbD.jpg

Egy4fS1.jpg

HP5Msr8.jpg

jTSwJgA.jpg

NoemXBb.jpg

PoeiNS5.jpg

R8Bfi73.jpg

Wo9iqRm.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty ,Pretty , Pretty , Pretty Good .

Burrata, mac & cheese, shishito peppers, steak with chimichurri & fries, kettle chips, honeycrisp apple pie with ice cream, brownie & sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, s'mores in a jar, giant chocolate chip cookies, and a negroni.

rqLcYDu.jpg

ZUhlHNd.jpg

1YJlDbD.jpg

Egy4fS1.jpg

HP5Msr8.jpg

jTSwJgA.jpg

NoemXBb.jpg

PoeiNS5.jpg

R8Bfi73.jpg

Wo9iqRm.jpg

Discovered this recipe last year while flipping channels and landed on the Food Network. If you’re a fan of chickpeas and tahini, you should really enjoy this.

View attachment 168808

I do a similar thing but mash about half of it with a big spoon and then make sandwiches out of the whole thing (with tomato, sprouts and cakes with feta/olives).

I *finally* found some killer mofongo in New Orleans and I’m not sure I fully understand what love is, but I’m certain it must feel like this.

View attachment 167482
My wife is Dominican and, living in Vegas, she has decried the fact that most of Latin cuisine and markets reflect a Mexican & Central/South American bias. She can't get cheese for queso frito but she can get plantains to make mangu.

However, there is one PR restaurant we like. Their mafongo is pretty tasty.

My wife is Dominican and, living in Vegas, she has decried the fact that most of Latin cuisine and markets reflect a Mexican & Central/South American bias. She can't get cheese for queso frito but she can get plantains to make mangu.

You may find an easier time finding halloumi and frying that. It's not the same -- it's definitely drier than the traditional queso fresco they use in the DR.
However, there is one PR restaurant we like. Their mafongo is pretty tasty.

boricuas, cubiches y dominicainos, we're all sorta cut from the same cloth. just similar enough that there's a lot of cultural crossover, juuuust different enough that getting confused with each other is enough to start a fight. don't even get me started on the cuban and PR flags.

Last edited:
I know I'm about to start some shenanigans with the NOLA natives/folks who have lived here before....but I recently found the title holder for 'BEST Beignets'. And it isn't what you think. Hell, its not even a sweet beignet, but a savory one!

I present to you: the best gahtdamned beignets I've ever consumed. Blue Crab beignets from Le Petite Grocery in the Lower Garden District. Don't @ me @nolalady :ROFLMAO:

05DD4F33-A0ED-44FF-B2A7-CF89A2D930D8.jpeg

rqLcYDu.jpg

ZUhlHNd.jpg

1YJlDbD.jpg

Egy4fS1.jpg

HP5Msr8.jpg

jTSwJgA.jpg

NoemXBb.jpg

PoeiNS5.jpg

R8Bfi73.jpg

Wo9iqRm.jpg

That's perfection

1679148511660.gif

So I was visiting my folks a month ago and visited this charcuterie/deli new place.
The guy does a lot of excellent stuff (guanciale, Spanish style chorizos, blood sausages) and I bought some nduja.
If you're unfamiliar (I was) it's a spreadable spice pork sausage. You can spread it on some toast, use it in pizza and I started looking for other uses.
I came about this recipe

Prawn nduja salad

I made it today, didn't have mache leaves or baby spinach on hand so I tossed in some basil leaves instead.
It was delicious.
Bottom line: if you find nduja, buy it.

14C2536E-6A1C-4CF9-ABAE-1E695D376913.jpeg

Back