Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Steak au poivre for my anniversary this weekend with frites and roasted mushrooms

Tonight, made the leftovers into steak sandwiches. Chopped the mushrooms up with the rest of the steak. The layers are as such:

French bread
Low moisture mozz I keep in the fridge for sheet pan pizza
Drizzle of au poivre sauce
Steak and mushroom mixture
Leftover caramelized onions from perogies
mayonnaise
French bread

Wrapped in foil and pressed in the oven until everything was warm and melted and served with more au poivre sauce for dipping.

PXL_20220929_233250595.PORTRAIT~3.jpg
PXL_20221004_231450674.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Last edited:
Steak au poivre for my anniversary this weekend with frites and roasted mushrooms

Tonight, made the leftovers into steak sandwiches. Chopped the mushrooms up with the rest of the steak. The layers are as such:

French bread
Low moisture mozz I keep in the fridge for sheet pan pizza
Drizzle of au poivre sauce
Steak and mushroom mixture
Leftover caramelized onions from perogies
mayonnaise
French bread

Wrapped in foil and pressed in the oven until everything was warm and melted and served with more au poivre sauce for dipping.

View attachment 153210
View attachment 153211
That looks amazing!
Happy anniversary!

Jollof rice, fried plantain, chicken, and veggies

2Fhv485.jpg

Thanksgiving in the US. Pie is a must have in our household.

Pie_20221124.jpg

Pumpkin pie on the left.

Bourbon, Chocolate, Pecan on the right.

Both have crusts made with vodka instead of water. It makes the crust so much more flaky and delicious! Most of the alcohol will boil off, hahaha.

Did some prep cooking early this morning.

Had to cook down some celery and onions, brown sausage, and bake cornbread....all to make some cornbread stuffing later.

Once the sun comes up I need to clean the smoker...haven't used it in some time.

Then I'll get the turkey breast smoking for a few hours.

Just pulled the turkey out of the smoker and have 15 more minutes to let it rest.

Then everything should be ready to eat.

The smoked turkey turned out great, plenty of leftovers.

Thanksgiving last year was a bust - my wife had to fly back to Illinois as my in-laws weren't doing well health wise. My father-in-law past away and my mother-in-law was having some mental health issues. So she was out of state for about 2 weeks over Thanksgiving cleaning their house and getting her mom into an assisted living place.

We were both hesitant about planning anything this year, but her mom is doing a lot better in the assisted living place she's at now. She was diagnosed w/ dementia, but they don't think it's that anymore and more of a med issue, her bipolar, and just being kind of a shut-in for a few years. She's much more active where she's at now than she was in her own house.

It was very nice having my wife here for Thanksgiving - and she was able to have my smoked turkey this year. I smoked it last year for the first time, but my daughter and I ate the whole breast while she was gone. I only smoked it because we had it thawing in the fridge already, so I had to cook it...I didn't really do a whole meal.

Anyway...I think I'm gonna have some pie.

Happy Thanksgiving! No turkey this year.

Lobster tails, cioppino (Italian fish stew), sweet potatoes, chicken skewers, stuffed butternut squash with veggies, corn, stuffing, and a nice bottle of La Gravette de Certan Pomerol 2015.

Rrv6pNT.jpg

iUohmLa.jpg

V4ipYkQ.jpg

xd6DQYk.jpg

3EuCPJz.jpg

VEqJ8x9.jpg

Found a big ol (2.2lb) soup bone in the freezer, and remembered that I had a frozen rotisserie chicken carcass buried in there too. So….pho time.

I used the quirky NYT Cooking Instant Pot recipe (apple??) with a few tweaks (blanched the meat and bones, blackened the ginger and onion under the broiler). Actually turned out beautifully after a healthy round of seasoning. One of the better batches of pho I’ve made, actually.

98B275E1-B426-4AB4-BA71-6C4BE253981A.jpeg
9B01B0DA-6E20-4FB2-8A51-2FD8D37B1A16.jpeg
C1DAA9EE-1CBC-46B5-9194-DE02FCF4E210.jpeg40FD0708-E1D0-4879-8F5F-8956BB77D6A2.jpeg070DD8BC-984C-4AAC-B51E-55086A1010D3.jpeg

Last edited:
¡Empanadas for tonight! Or if you prefer Jim Gaffigan's version: Caliente Pocket.

Right side is a Salteña. A regional empanada from Salta, Argentina. Inside is a beef stew with potatoes, green peas, black olives, and half a boiled egg. The dough is made with sweet pumpkin.

Left side is a Chilena. Typical empanada from Chile. Inside is also a beef stew with onions, black olives raisins, and a boiled egg. Dough is just regular flour.

Paired with an argentinean Malbec.

20221217_211200.jpg

Don’t mind me, just some killer food I’ve been eating the past week or two.

This is, by far, the best BBQ shrimp I’ve had yet in New Orleans. Flavor bomb

BB0B1040-EFEC-4661-9FAD-299C64199E12.jpeg

Steamed veggie dumplings from The Dumpling Lady!

D0B23E07-4AFD-464B-9003-8052324A0471.jpeg

Some seafood paella from Besame

2DB34918-8E72-4FBD-A70A-123F8712E462.jpeg

Aaaand some very aromatic scallops from Le Chat Noir

88DD3717-0BAF-41DA-9E87-35B7974A43B2.jpeg

Back