No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

No buy is what you want it to be!

If you just do not want to spend your own money, then that works.
If you want to do a absolutely no new vinyl coming into your collection, then that works too.
If you just want to be a lot more mindful about what you are bringing in and you have time to appreciate what you have, that's good too.
I mostly want to listen to albums I haven't played because I bought them during my Super Depression. I don't buy a lot in general anymore (maaaaaaybe 1 a month), so that isn't as big as issue for me.

I haven’t bought a record in 3-4 months since I officially started the process of selling my collection. I did buy one cassette tape (the Dream Sitch tape because I like to support Press On Records and Michael Nau and Seth Kauffman of Floating Action), I purchased 3 of the Dropbox folders of Weezer demos that Rivers Cuomo was selling on his site, and I still have credits left on Lauren Records’ tape club and Sounds Delicious’ Kickstarter deluxe sub. So, music is finding its way in but I’ve done pretty good at taking my finger off the Buy Now button on all vinyl. I’ve found that having a tiny yelling/sleeping/farting human that requires all your energy and time helps a lot with curbing the appetite for collecting a meticulous, fragile, temperamental music medium that requires all your energy and time. ☺️

Feeling strong, but starting to get the shakes...

View attachment 84906
stay strong.

and if it helps when you get twitchy, picture this smug jamoke instead of records.
Jeff-Bezos-Mansion-Google-Maps-001.jpg

My first time posting in this thread, but figured it may be a useful support in taking a bit of a breather from buying vinyl.

I knew I went a bit overboard the past few months, but I wasn’t really aware just how bad it was. But then I decided to compile a list of each record I purchased from November until now and.... yikes.

Im going to try and not buy anything until at least April. I need to enjoy what I already have, and maybe give some more attention to other neglected hobbies!

Ok, does buying inner sleeves count? I’ve been finally listening to all these sealed records I have and I’m about to run out. It’s amazing how many records still come in paper sleeves.

Okay! Sorry for the late announcement! I still have to tally January’s points.
I have a proposal for everyone for the next challenge: would it be okay if we ran from the 10th to 10th of each month? The first week of each month is insanely busy work wise for me. And January was just a shitshow personally.

The next challenge will be: do you have records that you’ve spun once and shelved? GET THEM OUTTTT AND SPINNNN. Charity donations will be up for grabs again!

My first time posting in this thread, but figured it may be a useful support in taking a bit of a breather from buying vinyl.

I knew I went a bit overboard the past few months, but I wasn’t really aware just how bad it was. But then I decided to compile a list of each record I purchased from November until now and.... yikes.

Im going to try and not buy anything until at least April. I need to enjoy what I already have, and maybe give some more attention to other neglected hobbies!
Welcome to the thread! Everyone is super helpful and understands.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve been stress buying like crazy. Feel free to join our Feb challenge to help stay on the path and enjoy what you have.

I had big aspirations. I still have conviction; I’m still no buy. I opened a dozen sealed records today and took zero pictures because I just don’t have the motivation to compete over this. But I’m with y’all in spirit.
Not even for charity Deb?

I hope to see you in Feb’s challenge.

Okay! Sorry for the late announcement! I still have to tally January’s points.
I have a proposal for everyone for the next challenge: would it be okay if we ran from the 10th to 10th of each month? The first week of each month is insanely busy work wise for me. And January was just a shitshow personally.

The next challenge will be: do you have records that you’ve spun once and shelved? GET THEM OUTTTT AND SPINNNN. Charity donations will be up for grabs again!
woooo! that actually works fine for me. what are months anyway? I totally kerflooped last month with the challenge, but I still have so many sad, untouched records.

I did not buy until the end of the month when I finally snagged another N&G AOTM (catching up, it was @Yer Ol' Uncle D's pick.) but I'm ready to participate for this next one!

I am doing a no buy for February (with exception of the PJ Harvey reissues for Stories) and it's going surprisingly well. I haven't bought any new vinyl.

How is everyone else doing with their own no buy?

FEBRUARY'S CHALLENGE IS UP! TELL YR FRIENDS! SPIN SOME RECORDS FOR CHARITY!

Gotta say I’m finding no buy nigh on impossible right now. I know it’s not 100% healthy but buying/receiving records feels like a little chink of light during this never ending pandemic/lockdown. Worst winter ever!

Last edited:
Back