No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

This year I have been setting myself a monthly budget of $100CDN each month and after 2 months I have been fairly successful.

I set up a spread sheet to keep track of my pre-orders. I have used this for a few years but this year added $ column. This has helped keep my spending in line. Both January and February I went over but a little ($107 and $112) but did not beat myself up. For me during COVID, almost all my purchases have been pre-orders so keeping on top of them has been key.

But because I only have 3-4 new records a month to listen to, I can go through my collection and give more items a closer listen. I have already pulled out about 30 items to trade-in when I do that again. But it has also been fun re-discovering stuff.

This makes perfect sense. I'll try & follow this plan, I just completely lost track of preorders and got a bit too relaxed with purchases.

This makes perfect sense. I'll try & follow this plan, I just completely lost track of preorders and got a bit too relaxed with purchases.
Story of my life too. Preorders keep rolling in of stuff I ordered 6+ months ago. So I keep pretty good track of my current orders but am getting too much stuff incoming still without going out. Need to do a massive purge soon.

Hiya!!!

July will be the return of the No Buy/Spin what you got challenge. I will be donating to Abortion Funds for each participant. The thread will open either 6/30 or 7/1.

I hope to get a lot of participants and encourage y’all to donate or sponsor some prize money for funds.

Let’s raise some money, fall in love with our collections again and have fun.

Hiya!!!

July will be the return of the No Buy/Spin what you got challenge. I will be donating to Abortion Funds for each participant. The thread will open either 6/30 or 7/1.

I hope to get a lot of participants and encourage y’all to donate or sponsor some prize money for funds.

Please tag me when you have it posted in case I've been distracted with other threads.

Hiya!!!

Sounds great! I will definitely be participating again.

So after blowing my vinyl budget the last 2-3 months and beating myself up over it I have decided to switch methods. Instead I am going for a 1 in 1 out system. Traded in 6 records last week and brought home 2. I have a couple of pre-orders coming this week so I am still 2 ahead for the month. Hopefully this will make me feel a bit better about things, and also keep a little closer to my monthly budget.

So after blowing my vinyl budget the last 2-3 months and beating myself up over it I have decided to switch methods. Instead I am going for a 1 in 1 out system. Traded in 6 records last week and brought home 2. I have a couple of pre-orders coming this week so I am still 2 ahead for the month. Hopefully this will make me feel a bit better about things, and also keep a little closer to my monthly budget.
Whatever make it work! Make sure to enjoy what you have!

I rarely have the time to actually sit down and listen to my records. I have approximately 1250 albums on vinyl, and I’ve probably actually only spun less than 100 of them. I am asking myself “why am I collecting vinyl if I never spin the records?”

I’ve always had an addictive personality, and I think it’s become an addiction. I like the tangibility of records. Holding the record, looking at the art, putting the needle on the wax….it’s all very satisfying. I have a decent set up (Onkyo receiver, AT-LP120 table with an AT-VM95ML cartridge) and yes, I can usually hear a difference, but is it significant enough to warrant the expense? I’m starting to think not.

i am a pharmacist, so I make decent money, but I also have a wife, two kids, a mortgage, school loans (yes, still), etc etc, and I spend way too much money on this hobby that I don’t actually make time or have the time to enjoy.

earlier this year, I emailed Acoustic Sounds to see about selling my entire record collection. They replied with how to start the process, but I never responded…..until this morning. I at least want to see what they will offer me. I have to do the responsible thing….for my wife and kids.

I rarely have the time to actually sit down and listen to my records. I have approximately 1250 albums on vinyl, and I’ve probably actually only spun less than 100 of them. I am asking myself “why am I collecting vinyl if I never spin the records?”

I’ve always had an addictive personality, and I think it’s become an addiction. I like the tangibility of records. Holding the record, looking at the art, putting the needle on the wax….it’s all very satisfying. I have a decent set up (Onkyo receiver, AT-LP120 table with an AT-VM95ML cartridge) and yes, I can usually hear a difference, but is it significant enough to warrant the expense? I’m starting to think not.

i am a pharmacist, so I make decent money, but I also have a wife, two kids, a mortgage, school loans (yes, still), etc etc, and I spend way too much money on this hobby that I don’t actually make time or have the time to enjoy.

earlier this year, I emailed Acoustic Sounds to see about selling my entire record collection. They replied with how to start the process, but I never responded…..until this morning. I at least want to see what they will offer me. I have to do the responsible thing….for my wife and kids.
I've got about the same amount as you but also make it a point to spin everything at least once. There are absolutely albums in my collection that I'll never play again. I try to rid myself of those, but I've also begun to view my collection as a library of sorts. If you have an actual library of books, I'm sure there are some you'll never read again.

I'm at the point where albums now trickle in at a snail's pace, and I'm not buying anything unless it's a slam dunk reissue I've always wanted, or a stellar deal ($15 Walmart was my breaking point). I'm also selling and trading, and just giving records away. It lessens the sting of how this can sometimes feel like an episode of Hoarders.

I've got about the same amount as you but also make it a point to spin everything at least once. There are absolutely albums in my collection that I'll never play again. I try to rid myself of those, but I've also begun to view my collection as a library of sorts. If you have an actual library of books, I'm sure there are some you'll never read again.

I'm at the point where albums now trickle in at a snail's pace, and I'm not buying anything unless it's a slam dunk reissue I've always wanted, or a stellar deal ($15 Walmart was my breaking point). I'm also selling and trading, and just giving records away. It lessens the sting of how this can sometimes feel like an episode of Hoarders.
The analogy of books is perfect…..well it would be for me if I had read them.

Good on you for recognizing this might be an issue for you. I have a rule that every album gets played at least twice before being filed away. November seems to be a bit of a stack up of pre-orders coming in but right now I have a backlog of only 6 new records. Thankfully this has started to slow down and I only expect about another 4-6 titles for the rest of the year.

I have about 30 records sitting in my ‘to sell’ bin but the closest record store that does a fair price on trades is an hour away and the buyer is only there on Fridays, so they just keep stacking up.

Also it might be sacrilege but this is why I have started to buy more cds. I have a lot of white whales that I will never find at an affordable price on vinyl. But if I can get the cd $5 then that is great, and the cd still gives me the feeling of holding a physical object.

My goal for 2023 is to aim for a 1 in / 1 out total for the year.

Good on you for recognizing this might be an issue for you. I have a rule that every album gets played at least twice before being filed away. November seems to be a bit of a stack up of pre-orders coming in but right now I have a backlog of only 6 new records. Thankfully this has started to slow down and I only expect about another 4-6 titles for the rest of the year.

I have about 30 records sitting in my ‘to sell’ bin but the closest record store that does a fair price on trades is an hour away and the buyer is only there on Fridays, so they just keep stacking up.

Also it might be sacrilege but this is why I have started to buy more cds. I have a lot of white whales that I will never find at an affordable price on vinyl. But if I can get the cd $5 then that is great, and the cd still gives me the feeling of holding a physical object.

My goal for 2023 is to aim for a 1 in / 1 out total for the year.

Yeah I came to that realisation with CDs this year too. Also helps with the major space restrictions that I’m working with here too!

i wish i had the strength of y'all with the one in/one out rule. i do need to do a cull but I go through some streaks of buying and selling stuff. i'm at about 2,000 LPs at the moment. i could probably sell at least half and still be more than happy with my collection.

but we do listen to records all the time at home so it's not a total waste.

@Sonicpharmacist i'm assuming there's no local shop to try to sell to? I can't imagine that AS would actually give you a fair price but would be curious to see how fair you think it is if they get back to you.

i wish i had the strength of y'all with the one in/one out rule. i do need to do a cull but I go through some streaks of buying and selling stuff. i'm at about 2,000 LPs at the moment. i could probably sell at least half and still be more than happy with my collection.

but we do listen to records all the time at home so it's not a total waste.

@Sonicpharmacist i'm assuming there's no local shop to try to sell to? I can't imagine that AS would actually give you a fair price but would be curious to see how fair you think it is if they get back to you.
In Great Falls, my local is 3 hours away. I know i won’t get as much if I do it as a bulk sale, but I have to do it all at one if I really want to change. If I sell on my own, one at a time, I’ll keep making excuses to buy. “I just sold $300, I can buy another $100”.

Back