No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

unrelated to the awesome challenge.
my plan is to cap my collection this year at its current size. so for every new record i buy, another one has to go. trying to force some quality control and make me play older purchases to confirm..

bumping this thread. how has everyone been doing ?

ive added 63 records this year by purchase, pif and trade and moved out 54. Gonna try to be close to even by the end of the year.

bumping this thread. how has everyone been doing ?

ive added 63 records this year by purchase, pif and trade and moved out 54. Gonna try to be close to even by the end of the year.
Thanks for the bump, I really need it. Added nearly 200 records this year (I traded in a negligible number, 10-20). Really need a plan for slowing down now that my wife is not working and I have to pay for everyone’s health insurance (basically I’m taking a 20-25% pay cut). I still have an irrational fear of selling records online because I’m convinced I’ll fuck up the packaging. I probably need therapy.

I’ve added around 180 records this year and four box sets. Most of those were from the first half of the year. And i’ve probably sold somewhere around 25 records

I’ve dramatically cut back the past three months though and intend to continue that trend. It feels so much better to only get a few records each month. Makes each addition feel special and it encourages me to only pick up things I know will get a lot of spins.

I went through my Discogs seller page and see that I sold about 250 records this year. I took probably 100 to the record store over the year. I think I probably gave about 30 away between friends and PIFing.

I added about 100 to my collection which is still too many, but not too bad overall. Hiding the Pre-Order Thread, Deals Thread and such has helped cut down on the FOMO/impulse buys to deal with stress at work, haha.

I started the year off super well - in large part thanks to this thread - and didn't buy anything for the first two months of the year, but then I relapsed. :cautious:

In the end, I bought 47 new records this year, which averages out to roughly one per week which isn't too bad, although three of those were box sets. Doesn't sound that great, but that is significantly less than the previous few years. Hope to curate more and buy even less next year, as I'm out of space for records and buying a new Kallax would result in me just wanting to fill it and a grumpy wife. I think a key thing will be dropping VMP again. I rejoined for the Country track, and I like all the titles I've gotten, but still kind of regret it. It makes it too easy for records just to show up without much thought.

I started the year off super well - in large part thanks to this thread - and didn't buy anything for the first two months of the year, but then I relapsed. :cautious:

In the end, I bought 47 new records this year, which averages out to roughly one per week which isn't too bad, although three of those were box sets. Doesn't sound that great, but that is significantly less than the previous few years. Hope to curate more and buy even less next year, as I'm out of space for records and buying a new Kallax would result in me just wanting to fill it and a grumpy wife. I think a key thing will be dropping VMP again. I rejoined for the Country track, and I like all the titles I've gotten, but still kind of regret it. It makes it too easy for records just to show up without much thought.
VMP definitely definitely makes it harder to be super selective for me as well. But I’m proud of myself for only getting four records from them the past 3 months. I usually get 3 or four every month from them on TOP of buying from my local and/or other online retailers.

Definitely considering not renewing come 2022. And as much as I enjoy this place, taking a step back and not engaging as much has helped me take my mind off of records recently.

I've way overspent this month, my vinyl orders have crept up over time, so am going to take the plunge and go on a vinyl diet. Is there any tips? Is it best to go cold turkey? Is it best to avoid the N&G threads?

Avoid the internet @AndyBut seriously, just think about what you really will listen to a lot and don’t get sucked into buying something because of the hype. I love Tone Poets but I’ve only got a few that I know will get a good workout, I’m not interested in a lot of them as where I am in my journey I know I wouldn’t listen to a lot of the stuff that’s been released . Plus I am selling stuff And basically I just use the proceeds of that to purchase new stuff(or s/h) . It probably takes a bit to get to this stage but you should work out what works for you, as it’s too easy to blow all your funds on records and not focus on your future.Maybe set up a separate account and put a certain amount into it for your purchases, and don’t cheat yourself. Think about every purchase and don’t get caught up in the bullshit and think about how much each purchase is costing you and if it’s worth that to you.

Last edited:
I've way overspent this month, my vinyl orders have crept up over time, so am going to take the plunge and go on a vinyl diet. Is there any tips? Is it best to go cold turkey? Is it best to avoid the N&G threads?
Consider an A-Z run? It’s a good way to listen to what you have. Lots of options - by artist, by album title, forward or reverse.

I need to cut down or get rid as I'm running out of space, according to discogs I have got 42 albums so far in 2022 some were pre orders from 2021 but I do have some pre orders still on order, its a classic case of FOMO with me

Consider an A-Z run? It’s a good way to listen to what you have. Lots of options - by artist, by album title, forward or reverse.

TBH, I need to sort through them all & start selling some. It's a mammoth task & I keep adding to the problem. If I sort through what I have & start taking care of the collection, I'm sure it could be self funding.

I'll try the diet & then stick to a strict budget while I sort out the collection

TBH, I need to sort through them all & start selling some. It's a mammoth task & I keep adding to the problem. If I sort through what I have & start taking care of the collection, I'm sure it could be self funding.

I'll try the diet & then stick to a strict budget while I sort out the collection

I feel this. It’s a huge undertaking. If it hadn’t been for getting the HumminGuru and deciding to clean them all again I’d never have done it. It was really cathartic though finally going through them a listing things on cogs. Also feels great when stuff that you shouldn’t have bought, or that you’ve fallen out of love with since, moves so quickly! I also have a growing pile of things that I wouldn’t sell on cogs, but PIF is dead, and so I’ll offload to the local when I get a chance.

Just want to agee with everyone that pulling stuff out of your collection and selling it or taking it to the local (for a pittance haha) really makes you think about buying new. When I started collecting records I told myself I’d never sell anything because I sold off too much in my younger days. Selling/purging is really part of collecting though. If you don’t do that it’s a “hoard” of records :)

Another thing that helped is remodeling my house and realizing how big the collection of records is and how hard it will be to get it all out of my office to remodel it.

This year I have been setting myself a monthly budget of $100CDN each month and after 2 months I have been fairly successful.

I set up a spread sheet to keep track of my pre-orders. I have used this for a few years but this year added $ column. This has helped keep my spending in line. Both January and February I went over but a little ($107 and $112) but did not beat myself up. For me during COVID, almost all my purchases have been pre-orders so keeping on top of them has been key.

But because I only have 3-4 new records a month to listen to, I can go through my collection and give more items a closer listen. I have already pulled out about 30 items to trade-in when I do that again. But it has also been fun re-discovering stuff.

Back