No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

I'm weak. Just bought the Japanese pressing of Gorilla Biscuit's Start Today (way cheaper than on Discogs, a can't miss opportunity, but still...). That said, I've decided to try and fight the FOMO this year, and just cancelled my VMP sub now that all my records have been shipped and tracked on DHL.
g-o-r-i-double l-a BISCUITS! Brilliant album. They played Sydney in 2008 when I lived there and I held off on getting tickets. Sold out. Missed it. Gutted.

Moving along rather nicely when suddenly a friend hits me with a link to a record on my want list....now normally I'd buy it right away without giving it a second thought but not now, this is the new me, the responsible me! I actually took the time to re-listen to it and see if I actually enjoyed it and now I'm going to at least sleep on it which is real progress!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I left something my Amazon cart and my wife bought it. Told her I sometimes do that to see if the price drops. Oops!

Da! Exclamation Point

At least I'm selling about 10 albums tonight, and hopefully more this weekend.

I came across this article, and thought it might be useful for this discussion: I tried 'Kakeibo': The Japanese art of saving money—and it completely changed how I spend my money

I liked the questions to ask before buying something:

• Can I live without this item?
  • Based on my financial situation, can I afford it?
  • Will I actually use it?
  • Do I have the space for it?
  • How did I come across it in the first place? (Did I see it in a magazine? Did I come across it after wandering into a gift shop out of boredom?)
  • What is my emotional state in general today? (Calm? Stressed? Celebratory? Feeling bad about myself?)
  • How do I feel about buying it? (Happy? Excited? Indifferent? And how long will this feeling last?)

And these tips:

Here are some simple kakeibo-themed strategies to ensure that you spend more mindfully:

1. Leave the item for 24 hours. This highlights whether you genuinely want or need it. If you’re still thinking about the item the next day and can afford it, then make the purchase. You’ll feel a greater sense of satisfaction about your decision.
  2. Don’t let “blowout sales” tempt you. I used to be a sucker for big sales. But that often meant spending money on items I knew I wouldn’t use. So for each item that you have in your basket during a sale, ask yourself whether you would buy it if it were full price.
  3. Check your bank balance regularly. Checking your balance will help you feel more in control of your finances because it brings into focus how much money you have to spend. Now, the first thing I do every morning is check my balance. It’s a scary habit to try at first, but does wonders for worry levels.
  4. Spend in cash. Physically handing over cash rather than just mindlessly swiping your card makes you more conscious of what you’re spending, and you will find it easier to budget. Try taking out a set amount of cash to use for the week and only spending what you have.
  5. Put reminders in your wallet. My friend came up with the brilliant idea of attaching a sticker to her credit card that bluntly says, “Do you REALLY need this?!” Anything that prompts you to take a step back before making a purchase will help you make smarter decisions.
  6. Change the environments that cause you to spend. If you notice that you often spend money after clicking on a marketing email or seeing pictures of an Instagram influencer wearing a particular brand, for example, then unsubscribe or unfollow. Or, if you buy clothes or makeup when you have time to kill, try using that time to do another activity instead, such as taking a walk in the park.

Well, the collection play through is going slow because the last week has been hell at work, lol. But, that being said, 6 albums in and I gotta say, it's been enjoyable just going on down the line without putting any thought to "what to listen to", and the music has been great........which is good news :)

Tonight was rough. I was in a books a million and they had a copy of the Kylie Minogue comp that I had my preorder cancelled on me (not my choice). I do really want it, but I’m holding firm to my no buying until I trim the collection by 10%.

Ugh.

I love Kylie.

I originally saw how to do it on Reddit but now I can't find that post ... You can actually use Google to do it.

Search for "Barnes and Noble" and it should come up with address listings for your closest stores ... If you click on any of those addresses it will take you a page like this ...

View attachment 29096

In the "Search this store" box, just type in vinyl records...

View attachment 29097

It will essentially show you every album they currently have in stock and as you scroll through you're looking for ones like this that say "Good Price" ...

View attachment 29098

Others might also be in stock but not marked with that tag. It should be obvious which ones are the best prices.

This works in theory but my wife and I went to one today and didn't find one of the titles that was listed on the site, yet we did find others that weren't mentioned (although they weren't on sale anyway).
Ahhh what are you doing, guys?! Wrong thread!! 😉

Last edited:
I originally saw how to do it on Reddit but now I can't find that post ... You can actually use Google to do it.

Search for "Barnes and Noble" and it should come up with address listings for your closest stores ... If you click on any of those addresses it will take you a page like this ...

View attachment 29096

In the "Search this store" box, just type in vinyl records...

View attachment 29097

It will essentially show you every album they currently have in stock and as you scroll through you're looking for ones like this that say "Good Price" ...

View attachment 29098

Others might also be in stock but not marked with that tag. It should be obvious which ones are the best prices.

This works in theory but my wife and I went to one today and didn't find one of the titles that was listed on the site, yet we did find others that weren't mentioned (although they weren't on sale anyway).

Can you please take this convo to another thread or PM? This is tempting to the gang who are not buying.

Thanks!

Has anyone rediscovered anything in their collection? I'm still spinning through backlog!
I’m at an impasse. I need to construct a shelf for my turntable before I get to spin much of anything. If I ever told you the story about the dresser topper then you would know that means no records for a couple years, lol. I have instituted a no new records until the shelf is realized rule which will definitely get me through January.

Back