No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

I've only bought two records this month, with the total of both purchases coming out to around $50 or so which isn't too bad. I currently am in need of a replacement needle so I've made that first priority for now before anymore records. That said, there's a bunch of stuff I've been watching like a hawk hoping it doesn't sell out before I get paid.... FOMO is lameeeee

Only one purchase this January for me, and I've cancelled my LovesVinyl subscription from next month, plus VMP (but tbh, likely to resub if there's nice Classics coming). Got more in the post though, as I had a few pre-ordered from last year; and I also scheduled items to be paid / shipped in Mars from Rough Trade.

I also sold/swapped about 20 LPs so far, and likely 10/20 more to go in the next few weeks. My goal for this year is to (1) stay in the limits of what my Eket can hold and (2) focus on beautiful/hi-quality/OG pressings of records I love or consider as essentials to a collection. Others will probably remain digital, and my recent interest for Roon plays a big factor here. So it's likely that basic back-to-black reissues or FOMO purchases that I played once will be sold/swapped too. Notable exception for my punk collection which includes lots of average pressings, but I can't get rid of all those teenage memories 🍻

Let's see how it goes in a few months, but the idea of having a limited collection size for the records - which constraints me to do more curation - is appealing! 👍To my wife who came up with the requirement 😉

So many preorders the past week have me itching to buy. Somehow I've held off but it's not easy
I failed. I fell for the new Waxahatchie. I rationalized it by using paypal funds accrued from selling vinyl and told myself it was a trade. The truth is I FOMO'd the limited edition. Otherwise, I could have waited till February so I can't lie.

I’ve enjoyed this thread but unfortunately didn’t make it out of January clean (traveled out of town for work and caved to the temptation to visit a store that was new to me). My readjusted goal is to stick to my previous budget, which kinda went out of the window late last year. Stay strong everyone
I think breaking the fast with a brick-n-mortar stop on a trip isn't bad. looking towards the next few, I'm fine with only purchasing the upcoming N&G AOTMs most likely, although I may pick up a thing or 2 when I go on a trip late next month.

I keep finding there are 1) records I forgot I ever owned and 2) records I never even opened. with that, the slow down/halt has become easy for me over the last couple of months haha

I failed. I fell for the new Waxahatchie. I rationalized it by using paypal funds accrued from selling vinyl and told myself it was a trade. The truth is I FOMO'd the limited edition. Otherwise, I could have waited till February so I can't lie.
Since Merge’s limited color is coke bottle, I decided I can wait and pick it up on black when I’m ready to buy again. Did you get the coke bottle, VMP or the red variant?

I don't know if this is in the spirit of the thread, but another thing I'm starting to do is avoiding the sales of stuff I like to save for the stuff I love. I noticed that I would pick up 2-3 albums I liked and were on sale or something, and end up spending more on those than on the one more expensive one I really want or love. So now I've whittled down my want list, and instead of dropping $50 on 3 good things, this month I spent $30 on one great one. It's not zero, but it's cheaper and will lead to owning more things I'm actually going to spin regularly.

Last edited:
I have been working through playing my entire collection since early December. I was hoping to complete that, and maybe find a few I'd be okay with selling, before I bought anything new. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and haven't bought anything since November, but I've got a couple gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. Does it count if I'm not actually spending money? (I try to rationalize to myself.)

I have been working through playing my entire collection since early December. I was hoping to complete that, and maybe find a few I'd be okay with selling, before I bought anything new. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and haven't bought anything since November, but I've got a couple gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. Does it count if I'm not actually spending money? (I try to rationalize to myself.)
In my opinion this is about not spending your own money, gifts, gift cards, etc. are "Free-bees" ;)

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules, just support and learning how to curb spending- espec on frivolous pickups. and that means different things for folks- down to zero records, down to only 1 a month, a short fast to save for something...

(someone can also tell me I'm way off base with the point.)

but gift card purchases with something you'd really love? sounds fine to me.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules, just support and learning how to curb spending- espec on frivolous pickups. and that means different things for folks- down to zero records, down to only 1 a month, a short fast to save for something...

(someone can also tell me I'm way off base with the point.)

but gift card purchases with something you'd really love? sounds fine to me.
I think the main rule is to turn yourself in so those of us who fell off already feel vindicated, those on the edge feel more anxious, and those holding strong feel more smug.
:p

Back