No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

Feeling pretty sour on the state of new vinyl LPs as of now. I caught wind of recent VMP price increases, despite not having purchased an item from them in over three years, and major label spikes. It only reaffirmed being more selective with additions moving forward. Even more damning, many of my top50 from last year were slashed to 25-60% off in various sales by year's end when I bought a fair number of them at near full MSRP.

I completed my A-Z collection playthrough last month, a necessary task in determining records to be moved. With a library of 650 at the moment, I will try to whittle down to 500 by year's end.

I will get back on the no-buy train for (at least) half of the months in 2023 if this pricing continues.

Last edited:
Feeling pretty sour on the state of new vinyl LPs as of now. I caught wind of recent VMP price increases, despite not having purchased an item from them in over three years, and major label spikes. It only reaffirmed being more selective with additions moving forward. Even more damning, many of my top50 from last year were were slashed to 25-60% off in various sales by year's end when I bought a fair number of them at near full MSRP.

I completed my A-Z collection playthrough last month, a necessary task in determining records to be moved. With a library of 650 at the moment, I will try to whittle down to 500 by year's end.

I will get back on the no-buy train for (at least) half of the months in 2023 if this pricing continues.
i'm kinda at the same state in terms of LPs and prices. I'll buy stuff at good/sale prices now and again and have bought more used than new in the past few months I think.

deleting ebay off my phone has stopped me from buying as much there. i haven't purchased anything in Jan so far (know it's only 6 days in) but having some preorders trickle in has probably helped with that.

i still fall prey to stuff like the Target sales but am really trying to buy less vinyl this year. i know those are famous last words but we'll see!

i'm kinda at the same state in terms of LPs and prices. I'll buy stuff at good/sale prices now and again and have bought more used than new in the past few months I think.

deleting ebay off my phone has stopped me from buying as much there. i haven't purchased anything in Jan so far (know it's only 6 days in) but having some preorders trickle in has probably helped with that.

i still fall prey to stuff like the Target sales but am really trying to buy less vinyl this year. i know those are famous last words but we'll see!
Same boat here. I went on an eBay rampage too and had to delete it.

I’ve been “shopping my own library” the last few days and it’s been fun.

Same boat here. I went on an eBay rampage too and had to delete it.

I’ve been “shopping my own library” the last few days and it’s been fun.
ebay makes me fall into the trap of buying things i don't need because it's a good "deal". and the alerts when auctions are ending also were easy reminders to buy more. deleting the app helped me a lot there! i do need to go through all my records and pull the ones i want to sell then do a reddit post or sale post on here.

Same here - trying to both buy less this year (looking at you, Blue Note reissues 🤨) and pair down… been going through Discogs this week sorting my collection into folders for keep and sell. I’ve never sold anything on there, but it’s time to start!

Not sure if this is Canada catching up to the prices in the States or a sign of another increase all over

I REALLY want to downsize this year. Don’t have anything on order and to be honest, the pre order thread hasn’t been that inspiring.

Not sure if this is Canada catching up to the prices in the States or a sign of another increase all over

I REALLY want to downsize this year. Don’t have anything on order and to be honest, the pre order thread hasn’t been that inspiring.

Oh, we caught up the last time your prices bumped too. Definitely.

Joining this now...

The only record I will buy in the first quarter of 2023 is the "new" Wilco (as I have a complete collection to be continued).

(EDIT: Just checked pricing on Wilco "Cruel Country": 75 dollars for a double LP. Seventyfive dollars!!!!! I cannot look my wife in the eyes and justify that.)

Otherwise: pricing has gone completely through the roof here in Norway. Many new records go for 50-65 dollars in the local store. It is a store I love, with a friend as manager, but I cannot simply justify the cost anymore, as heating prices and inflation is sky rocketing in (Northern) Europe. I'm quite well off, but even I have to tighten the belt a bit now.

I also bought quite a lot of records in 2021 and 2022. It's time to give them all their due...

As stated on me status page, the plan is to not buy any records in 2023. However, I will break that rule for only 1 record with that record being Before These Crowded Streets.
I do have one album on the way that i preordered in May 2022.
I really want to take my time and assess my collection and hopefully get rid of a good chunk of records. This should be fun.

I purchased two replacement Christmas presents for others in January, but nothing for myself. Holding steady!

My birthday is this month and I suspect my wife is just gonna take me to the record store and hand me some cash because she doesn't even try to keep up with what we have and don't have for the most part anymore, but other than that I'm gonna keep on keepin' on. See if I can't match @Rip_City's No Buy Q4 last year with Q1 this year.

Provided, of course, no new Sun Ra releases are announced in the next 58.5 days! 🫣

Is anyone looking to start the new year with appreciating what they have? Getting rid of what they don’t love? Avoiding the continued growth without thought?
Trying to get out of the mindset that I need to keep my originals when I upgrade. Sitting at about 35 OGs that I should be able to part with but feel like a part of me will exit when I do. Let the internal struggle continue…

Back