Nicole Atkins: Ask Me Anything

First off thanks for joining us here on the forum!!
Goodnight Rhonda Lee, is such an intimate retelling of various factors/moments, that seemed to shape your direction/future as they happened. I believe every one of us has 'LISTEN UP' type moments, and what we do with them is the true test of life. So thank you for sharing your story!

Based on your release pattern is it safe to assume you will be coming with another masterpiece in 2020?
I'm curious as to what the new direction will be. Will the next project be a totally new sound with new ideas, a continuation of this sound and personal storytelling style with a new concept, or is that something we will just have to wait and find out?
Thanks so much!
My new album is coming out in 2020! I can't share much yet but I'll let you know that my husband says of all my records, it sounds the most like my personality. absolutely bonkers but really colorful and fun. It's muppet soul with a side of Fonzi. I can't wait till you guys hear it. It's a big time headphones record.

As I was reading your Wikipedia entry I could not help but notice you are the only woman named in a sea of men in the music industry. I‘d like to hear your take on carving out success as a woman in the industry.

Also, as a fellow human born in 1978 I am curious about your views on becoming a 40 something and any impact that has had on your music ill

Finally, as a former Nashvillian who still returns regularly to visit family, I am interested to hear your opinions on the seemingly unsustainable explosive growth of the city and the potential outcomes on the fabric of that particular community (what part of Nashville are you in?).
I'm pretty sure my wikipedia was written mainly by former bandmates. hahaha! anyways, I think it's tough for anyone trying to make a career in music. Something I've had a shift in perspective of is what defines success. After over 12 years of working, for me success means actually working and only making music and art that I really love. fortunately, I've been able to do that. it hasn't equated into financial success but my bills are paid and my experiences are out of this world.
I'm also really fortunate that the men in this industry that Ive chosen to collaborate with are solid as fuck and don't play power games. We're friends and peers. At 40 years old I've gotten a pretty keen radar for bullshitters and creeps.

Im grateful to have been born in 1978 because we came up in a really good era of music. We had all the classic rock, soul, the fun of the hair metal and mtv dawn, saw alternative rock be born, country punk get popular, then the internet happened. we got to go to see Pavement on a school night and the Beastie Boys on the weekend. Shit ruled.

I live in East Nashville and I do love it. I'd love it more if it had a boardwalk and a beach but hey. I find the driving and roads here pretty scary bc it can't keep up with how fast its growing. I gotta say though, when I am actually home, and it's not often, I don't leave my house much.

I'm sorry to be late to the party but I was literally just introduced to your music today and I must say that I absolutely love your voice. I connected with both the sounds and lyrical content of Brokedown Luck. Can you go into the background of that song a bit (if you haven't already covered it in a previous response)?

Thank you for being here!

@NATKINS @Natkins! We go several times a year to Asbury/Oak Grove. Anything specific we should check out that’s maybe not on the radar of tourists?
Maybe! In Ocean Grove I love getting ice cream from Day's and walking around the tent houses. Also if you walk along the sidewalk on the lakeside there's some really cool and creepy old run down victorian mansions.
in Asbury Park, I love the silver ball pinball museum. also, the most feel good happy hour ever is every day from 4-7 at the Wonder Bar. Yappy Hour! everyone brings their dogs over to play and there's like 30 dogs running around and you see each little group and different personalities. it's like a school yard. there's a doggie bouncer that's like a real tough dude bouncer that if one of the dogs starts wylin out, he puts them in a time out. it's so great!

Nicole,

Thanks for doing this!

The first time I saw you was with my dad in Indianapolis opening for Booker T and The Black Keys back in 2011. Long story short, your set was the beginning of converting my dad into a lover of new music after years and years of being stuck pre-1985. So thank you for being a catalyst in that! It's really brought us closer and we've attended more shows together since than I can remember.

Your tour page has a picture of you performing at Red Rocks. Where have been your favorites places to perform live? What acts have you been billed next to that have made you go "Wow!" ?

Come up to NE Ohio soon. I'm sure the folks at The Summit in Akron would love to have you do a Studio C session.

Maybe! In Ocean Grove I love getting ice cream from Day's and walking around the tent houses. Also if you walk along the sidewalk on the lakeside there's some really cool and creepy old run down victorian mansions.
in Asbury Park, I love the silver ball pinball museum. also, the most feel good happy hour ever is every day from 4-7 at the Wonder Bar. Yappy Hour! everyone brings their dogs over to play and there's like 30 dogs running around and you see each little group and different personalities. it's like a school yard. there's a doggie bouncer that's like a real tough dude bouncer that if one of the dogs starts wylin out, he puts them in a time out. it's so great!
Sarge and I are on our way.

Being a Jersey girl, any Bruce stories?

Nicole,

Thanks for doing this!

The first time I saw you was with my dad in Indianapolis opening for Booker T and The Black Keys back in 2011. Long story short, your set was the beginning of converting my dad into a lover of new music after years and years of being stuck pre-1985. So thank you for being a catalyst in that! It's really brought us closer and we've attended more shows together since than I can remember.

Your tour page has a picture of you performing at Red Rocks. Where have been your favorites places to perform live? What acts have you been billed next to that have made you go "Wow!" ?

Come up to NE Ohio soon. I'm sure the folks at The Summit in Akron would love to have you do a Studio C session.
Hey! well that show was definitely one that made me go "wow!' Booker's wife helped me get ready for the show. I'm glad you and your pops had that bonding moment. that's the best.

red rocks was a big one. singing at Mavis's bday party at the Apollo this year made me cry with gratitude and awe. doing msg with my morning jacket in 08 was a "what the hell is going on?!' night! there's so many and I'm grateful for all of them. even some of the weirdest smallest venues blow my mind.
Mainly for me, the thing that gets me, is the audience. If I end up having a great volley with the audience that night, then my mind is always blown. Anything that makes the experience of the show truly unique.

Thank you! All cool things to do! I have heard about Wonder Bar’s dog bar. My doggies have to make it through some basic obedience first! Lol.

I'm sorry to be late to the party but I was literally just introduced to your music today and I must say that I absolutely love your voice. I connected with both the sounds and lyrical content of Brokedown Luck. Can you go into the background of that song a bit (if you haven't already covered it in a previous response)?

Thank you for being here!
welcome to the monkeyhaus!
brokedown luck came together the night before I went to ft worth to record. I had that melody sitting around forever and knew I needed one more song that you could dance to on the record. I called my friend and longtime collaborator, Jim Sclavunos in London and asked him if he heard any lyrics to my melody. the next day he sent back his take on my move to nashville and that was broke down luck. 3 pointer at the buzzer.
you should go to YouTube and watch the video for that song. it's got puppets and it's insane!

HOPE I'M NOT TOO LATE! Got out of a meeting and rushed in here just to say "THANK YOU!" @NATKINS !

This record was way out of my wheelhouse, but it is such a lovely record. :)

Trying to nail down a babysitter so my wife and I can see you in Cincy in November.
awesome! I hope she can make it. I think ya'll have lotsa lead time to nail down that babysitter. hahah!
I'm curious what your wheelhouse is goatfish! I'm looking for new things to listen to as well. hit me!

welcome to the monkeyhaus!
brokedown luck came together the night before I went to ft worth to record. I had that melody sitting around forever and knew I needed one more song that you could dance to on the record. I called my friend and longtime collaborator, Jim Sclavunos in London and asked him if he heard any lyrics to my melody. the next day he sent back his take on my move to nashville and that was broke down luck. 3 pointer at the buzzer.
you should go to YouTube and watch the video for that song. it's got puppets and it's insane!
YOU ROCK! Thank you for diving into that one. I really dig it!

Also, just based upon your responses I feel like we are already friends. Puppets?!? Monkeys?!?! I'm here for it!

What is your favorite ice cream flavor, brand, and method of preparation (syrup, sprinkles, etc.)?

(We ask silly stuff too, usually based on conversations from the guess thread. But we now know that Mark de Clive-Lowe thinks a hot dog is a sandwich. And we know Khemmis’ personal fruit rankings)
a hot dog is not a sandwich. it's it's own little animal.
I only do mint chip ice cream. favorite brand is the Whole Foods 365 brand. don't ever get that Aldean's brand. it is water waste.

[QUOTE="Dtknuckles, post: 94336, member: 21"
You have about 4 studio albums and 1 live album. That's a lot of time for a creative person to mature. What are some lessons you have learned about making creative decisions? How do you know when to add something to a song, take away something, or when it has just enough?

Give us an example of a decision you made on Goodnight Rhonda that you feel got it right and/or something you struggled with.
[/QUOTE]
one thing that I feel I got right on GRL... I only had 3 hours of time with the string section. I wasn't planning on having strings on Darkness Falls So Quiet. my husband yelled down from the control room that I only had 15 minutes left so before I let the string players go, I sang the first thing that came off the top of my head to Darkness. I just randomly picked that song. the placements of the strings are totally weird and made me really love that song. it also started me on a vibe for the way I am putting together my songs for my new record.

Back