Nicole Atkins: Ask Me Anything

Hey Nicole very detailed question inbound.

I currently am trying to write a song and I'm having a few issues. I currently have two parts of my song, the intro and chorus in 6/8 and the verse in 4/4. My question is do you have any ideas on how to transition between the two? I figured going from 4/4 to 6/8 I would just add a rest for the music, but going from 6/8 to 4/4 is tricky, because it sounds really weird. I would normally try to split them into separate songs, but they're in the same key and I feel like it would sound better if they were together.

Also, whenever you have a song "fragment" how do you typically try to develop it out? Do you develop around making lyrics fit or about the music itself, with the lyrics added later?

Confession: I don't really understand what people have put together here in the new forum with the whole ROTM thing, but it's cool that you guys keep picking artists who are willing to do this.

If there's room for another question, mine would be: What's your approach to putting together album art? Do you want it to communicate something about the music, something about you as a musician, or is it standalone art that just happens to have an album as its medium? Same question(s) re: music videos, too.

tenor.gif

(I'm pretty sure the second one is the real nicole. someone might be trying to impersonate her. not 100% sure though) :/
jk i'm dumb

Last edited:
Loving this Goodnight Rhonda Lee album, which is getting me digging into some of your collaboration work. I love the stuff with Robert Harrison especially, Cotton Mather is such a great band. How did that come about? And how do you decide who and when you will collaborate with?

EDIT: The Bash & Pop song is freaking great too!

Last edited:
@NATKINS @Natkins! what are your all time top five favorite albums?
Well this will probably always change depending on where I'm at in the day but off the top of my head:

Karl and the Passions- So Tough
Mercury Rev- Deserter Songs
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Mark Lanegan- Bubblegum
Traffic- John Barleycorn Must Die

Back