New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

I think for me I always pack the machine away at the end of the cleaning session and emptying the tank is a part of that process.
Yeah, I guess that's part of it. I usually wipe out the inner walls of the reservoir (pretty sure I read about doing that in the user guide), check the filters, etc. And emptying the tank seems like the thing to do. But I'm also thinking I'd be more likely to clean records if I just left it set up (with the water ready to go) for a few days in a row.

Same. Though thinking about it, I don't know why I'm averse to reusing the water another day. It's not like it's any less worse for wear for sitting in the tank overnight. Hmmm.
I’ll use the water for up to a week, up to about a dozen or so records before I dump it. Since my cleaning concentrate contains Jet Dry which has an antibacterial agent, I don’t work about the water getting too skanky over the course of a week.

As I'm cleaning more regularly, I am generally just not being stingy with the cleaning fluid. I'm using G-Sonic cleaner and it's 10 drops per gallon, which is cheap as chips. I ran a deep clean on an original pressing of Damn The Torpedoes the other day and the water was pretty gross afterwards so I just chucked it.

I also still have a bottle of Tergikleen, which I may experiment with as well.

I still use my Spin-Clean drying cloths, but they are getting ragged. They sell new cloths for $4 each (5 for $20), but I'm wondering if anyone has a suitable, cheaper replacement available on Amazon?

I still use my Spin-Clean drying cloths, but they are getting ragged. They sell new cloths for $4 each (5 for $20), but I'm wondering if anyone has a suitable, cheaper replacement available on Amazon?
Not cheaper but super good at cleanly drying discs of all sorts. I use one when cleaning CDs. Reidel microfiber polishing cloth.

Just a heads up to the folks in here - I swapped out my rotation wheels for the first time and they had a pretty good groove carved in to both of them. Not sure if they caused some sharpness to the edge of some records but figured it was time to swap them out regardless. (The used wheel is on the Right in both pics)

IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg

Just a heads up to the folks in here - I swapped out my rotation wheels for the first time and they had a pretty good groove carved in to both of them. Not sure if they caused some sharpness to the edge of some records but figured it was time to swap them out regardless. (The used wheel is on the Right in both pics)

View attachment 186530
View attachment 186531

Yeah I’ve had to do that twice. I think they’re a deliberately soft material so they don’t damage the record but that means they wear out every few hundred records.

My fan has stopped working. Anybody else have that problem? I guess I've cleaned 2500 records so I can't complain.

PS Customer service closed for the next week. Grr. I'm travelling for many weeks after that and had just got in a real groove. Dog will be happy at least...
A quick update - almost two months later, it's fixed. Customer service were slow to respond, it took an age (more than a month) for the parts to reach me, and then I waited 10 days trying to find a soldering iron. In the end I swapped out both fans without one. It was pretty easy, only dodgy bit was burning the wires together with a lighter. Appears to have worked in any case, and I can start cracking on with my fairly sizeable backlog. I think next time it goes wrong it might be time to replace completely...

A quick update - almost two months later, it's fixed. Customer service were slow to respond, it took an age (more than a month) for the parts to reach me, and then I waited 10 days trying to find a soldering iron. In the end I swapped out both fans without one. It was pretty easy, only dodgy bit was burning the wires together with a lighter. Appears to have worked in any case, and I can start cracking on with my fairly sizeable backlog. I think next time it goes wrong it might be time to replace completely...
I was so nervous the first time I worked with a soldering iron since I was recapping my amp. But after a while I started to really enjoy the experience. I'd love to get to work on more upgrades like that. There is a sense of fulfillment it gave me figuring it out and fixing it myself. But it is stressful thinking one mistake could fry your expensive equipment.

I was so nervous the first time I worked with a soldering iron since I was recapping my amp. But after a while I started to really enjoy the experience. I'd love to get to work on more upgrades like that. There is a sense of fulfillment it gave me figuring it out and fixing it myself. But it is stressful thinking one mistake could fry your expensive equipment.
DIY is kind of the best. If I had more time I would do a complete kit set up. I always wanted to do a kit car.

We were taught soldering in school. I melted a couple of pcbs. Wasn’t pretty. I know my limits…

Back