New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

What’s the default people go with on this. Last week for first use I went full blown clean and 10 minute dry but wondering if it’s a tad excessive to do that with every record (such as brand new vinyl).

Do people find the quick clean is normally more than sufficient?
I run a 10-minute cycle, with 5 minutes each for clean and dry. Similar to @Joe Mac, I've found that I'm more likely to have a drop or two of water left on the clean/dried record during colder months. But oddly enough, I also have found that increasing drying time to 10 minutes doesn't remediate that issue. Thankfully, it's a rare occurrence, and I think it has as much to do with the particular record's surface as it does the environmental conditions.

What’s the default people go with on this. Last week for first use I went full blown clean and 10 minute dry but wondering if it’s a tad excessive to do that with every record (such as brand new vinyl).

I switch to 5 minute drying cycles when the weather is dry. Back to 10 if I notice it’s not doing the job.

I *usually* do 5 minute cleaning cycles by default. Double cleaning cycle for really grody records. 2 minute cycles for records that I know have been washed at some point previously, or which look to be clean going in.

I run a 10-minute cycle, with 5 minutes each for clean and dry. Similar to @Joe Mac, I've found that I'm more likely to have a drop or two of water left on the clean/dried record during colder months. But oddly enough, I also have found that increasing drying time to 10 minutes doesn't remediate that issue. Thankfully, it's a rare occurrence, and I think it has as much to do with the particular record's surface as it does the environmental conditions.
For me I think one side dries better than the other so I usually flip the record around then do a 5 minute dry after my 10 minute dry as part of the auto cycle. Most of the time it needs it.

My timings:
  • 2 mins for previously cleaned records,
  • 5 minutes for new records,
  • 10 minutes (plus a pre-Guru wipe-down, if needed) for used records,
  • Microfiber cloth and detergent spray for stubborn finger prints,
  • 5 minute drying cycle for all.

I have the Kickstarter backed version of the HG and my little water tank has a crack in it. Was looking for a replacement and this is on their site:

It says for model HG01 only. Does anybody know if that’s the Kickstarter model? Is the current model newer or have any major differences that anybody knows of?

I know this is the Hummingguru thread but after looking at various options I'm thinking about getting this after Christmas.

Amazon product ASIN B07L3G9TBS

I can save some money and use the VPI RCM vacuum as the drying cycle.

I have the Kickstarter backed version of the HG and my little water tank has a crack in it. Was looking for a replacement and this is on their site:

It says for model HG01 only. Does anybody know if that’s the Kickstarter model? Is the current model newer or have any major differences that anybody knows of?
They’re all HG-01. I imagine they’re working on a revision or upgrade model that might make the distinction necessary.

Just be very careful of the temperature in there…

I'll have to remember to use a post-it with a Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion table.

30°C seems like a good middle ground - at least looking at Hummingguru's safety page

I know this is the Hummingguru thread but after looking at various options I'm thinking about getting this after Christmas.

Amazon product ASIN B07L3G9TBS

I can save some money and use the VPI RCM vacuum as the drying cycle.
If the cost of the HG is a dealbreaker, then go for the alternative. But if you can swing it, one of the HG's many charms is that you set it, walk away, then come back to a clean and dry record. Removing a wet record to dry on a second machine, manually, surely would eliminate that charm.

If the cost of the HG is a dealbreaker, then go for the alternative. But if you can swing it, one of the HG's many charms is that you set it, walk away, then come back to a clean and dry record. Removing a wet record to dry on a second machine, manually, surely would eliminate that charm.

It's a little the cost - it's a little having the ablity to clean more than one at a time - with a little set up. As it is going to be set up right next to the VPI, I may as well still use that in the process.

Looks like I’m getting one of these guys for Xmas. What are the add-ons, liquids, and extra accoutrement that the resident cleaning buds recommend for this?
You'll need de-ionised / distilled water.

I use Tergitol as extra special sauce in the water, others use G-Sonic, others mix up crazy concoctions they found on the internet. You don't actually have to use any, but I found my records were still wet after even the longest drying cycle, and a surfactant helped.

Fishing tank pump filter (the stuff you can buy in rolls) works perfectly fine for the water tank filter when you need new filters. I don't think I have ever needed to change the air intake filter.

You'll need de-ionised / distilled water.

I use Tergitol as extra special sauce in the water, others use G-Sonic, others mix up crazy concoctions they found on the internet. You don't actually have to use any, but I found my records were still wet after even the longest drying cycle, and a surfactant helped.

Fishing tank pump filter (the stuff you can buy in rolls) works perfectly fine for the water tank filter when you need new filters. I don't think I have ever needed to change the air intake filter.
Agreed with all this. I use G-Sonic, personally, and have no complaints.

Just saying, you don't have to get G-Sonic to have a good experience with the HG. I've been using nothing but distilled water since getting it what feels like years ago, and I dont really feel a need to add anything to it. Everything sounds fantastic!

Edit: Maybe G-Sonic would help with cleaning out stubborn older records from like the 60s and shit, but I haven't had to many issues outside of a noisy Art Blakey album, but I think thats just a worn copy.

Just saying, you don't have to get G-Sonic to have a good experience with the HG. I've been using nothing but distilled water since getting it what feels like years ago, and I dont really feel a need to add anything to it. Everything sounds fantastic!

Edit: Maybe G-Sonic would help with cleaning out stubborn older records from like the 60s and shit, but I haven't had to many issues outside of a noisy Art Blakey album, but I think thats just a worn copy.
As a wetting agent, it helps get into the grooves a touch more, and helps records dry more effectively. It’s not night and day, but it does offer an improvement and a bottle lasts forever (one drop per tank!) so the value proposition is pretty good.

As a wetting agent, it helps get into the grooves a touch more, and helps records dry more effectively. It’s not night and day, but it does offer an improvement and a bottle lasts forever (one drop per tank!) so the value proposition is pretty good.

For me I felt it made a big difference but then the HG itself was a pretty big jump up from the Spin Clean even before using it. And yes that bottle will outlive me even at the rate I buy records!

I agree that a surfactant wetting agent ups the game.

Despite the recoil of wary audiophiles, 0.05 ml of JetDry (one eyedropper drop) in the tank gets the job done quite well with no damage to the vinyl or the Guru. I’ve outlined the whys and hows of this in other posts, so I won’t repeat it here.

Back