New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

I think I'm going to see if I can just get cash from my family to buy a Hummingguru for Christmas.

With the change to part time and less $$ for buying as many records, I think I'm going to be going through my collection playing things that haven't been spun in a while.

Even though I have a VPI RCM, I've been wanting to try out an ultrasonic for a while now...the DIY tank thing just seems a bit too DIY for me...I ain't got time for that.

Is the DYI tank thing a reference to what people do with the VPI RCM or is that something for the Humminguru?

I’m guessing he’s referring to buying a commercially available ultrasonic tank. You can get some 3D printed record holders with a motor, and even a fan with some of the more expensive ones, that fits into the tank.

When I priced one up it ended up a good bit more than the HumminGuru but depending on the kit and the size of the tank you can clean a lot of records in one go with them.

Anyone with one of these. Is it a good idea to order extra filters or do they last a billion cleans? Trying to decide whether to grab them with the actual machine purchase

Anyone with one of these. Is it a good idea to order extra filters or do they last a billion cleans? Trying to decide whether to grab them with the actual machine purchase

It’s well worth getting the water filters. I went through a lot of them initially when I blasted through the collection. Now I’m just cleaning the new in and ones that have got dirty through use I am just changing them yearly.

The air filter I’ve never had to change. It’s doing its job and gathering dust but it’s never got dirty to the point I’ve felt it needed changing.

The wheels need changing every 1000 or so records. They are soft and gradually have a groove worn into them.

It’s well worth getting the water filters. I went through a lot of them initially when I blasted through the collection. Now I’m just cleaning the new in and ones that have got dirty through use I am just changing them yearly.

The air filter I’ve never had to change. It’s doing its job and gathering dust but it’s never got dirty to the point I’ve felt it needed changing.

The wheels need changing every 1000 or so records. They are soft and gradually have a groove worn into them.
Cool. Just ordered a kit from Juno’s eBay store. They include the 2 adapters and maintenance kit so looks like I get 5 extra filters.

Top Cashback is doing 20% on eBay orders so going that route should eventually mean it comes in at about £350. And I’ll get it tomorrow…..

at which point I’ll have questions. Many, many questions

Cool. Just ordered a kit from Juno’s eBay store. They include the 2 adapters and maintenance kit so looks like I get 5 extra filters.

Top Cashback is doing 20% on eBay orders so going that route should eventually mean it comes in at about £350. And I’ll get it tomorrow…..

at which point I’ll have questions. Many, many questions

Get some ultrasonic cleaning fluid too, be it the HumminGuru blue bottle or the G Sonic Ultrasonic. Makes a huge difference and you use so little that the bottle will outlast you.

Just turned up. On a Sunday no less. Chemist is shit but I’ve a bottle of deionised water. Assuming this is just as acceptable to use as distilled?

Absolutely. I’ve only ever used the big bottles of de ionized water from Halfords. The difference in mineral content between it and distilled water is negligible.

I used deionised for a while when I first got mine and didn't run into any issues.

Distilled is just one step further along than deionised, I think.

It is but given that distilled water is so expensive and hard to get hold of here the negligible difference isn’t worth the cost. Distilled water is 1 or 2 parts per million, deionized is 5 or 6 parts per million and, for comparison, tap water is 100 parts per million.

What’s the default people go with on this. Last week for first use I went full blown clean and 10 minute dry but wondering if it’s a tad excessive to do that with every record (such as brand new vinyl).

Do people find the quick clean is normally more than sufficient?

What’s the default people go with on this. Last week for first use I went full blown clean and 10 minute dry but wondering if it’s a tad excessive to do that with every record (such as brand new vinyl).

I do the auto setting pressed twice for every clean. And the switch on the side is set to the higher number for me. Always done that unless something is filthy then I might run two wet cycles.

Also for water filters you can buy a roll of fish tank water filter and cut it to size. Should last you a lifetime haha

I do the auto setting pressed twice for every clean. And the switch on the side is set to the higher number for me. Always done that unless something is filthy then I might run two wet cycles.

Also for water filters you can buy a roll of fish tank water filter and cut it to size. Should last you a lifetime haha
Sound. That’s what I was doing last week. At Least I can leave it on the go in another room while I try to drown it out with whatever was cleaned immediately before

This time of year I’m on a 10 minute dry too but in spring summer 5 will do. But then Ireland is really fucking damp in the winter.

Back