New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

iu

This guy on youtube, polypetalous, seems to be posting negative reviews. Is he just using vinyl in bad shape that cleaning (of any sort) won't help? Hard to square his take with the positive takes here.

This guy on youtube, polypetalous, seems to be posting negative reviews. Is he just using vinyl in bad shape that cleaning (of any sort) won't help? Hard to square his take with the positive takes here.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he spent $5k on a cleaner that does the same thing that a $380 machine does…nothing is ever going to have 100% positive reviews.

Last edited:
I'm listening to his review now and I dunno, doesn't line up with my experience so far at all. He's comparing it to larger, more expensive ultrasonics that use more transducers without noting that they also use four or five times as much water and have a correspondingly larger volume to energize. He doesn't like the use of distilled water, which is something you can easily fix by adding a drop of surfactant (as I do) to break the surface tension.

I'm genuinely curious if some of the issues he ran into are the result of static from air-drying in a low-humidity environment. Especially since he then immediately wet-cleaned it with spray and fixed the issue.

I trust the people here. Their takes are fact based and specific about how the machine has performed for them. And they have no reason to exaggerate. People here have no problem telling it like it is. That's kind of how this whole forum started.

Last edited:
I don't think polypetalous is being malicious at all, but he is convinced that ultrasonic cleaning won't work with only distilled water, which is simply not true. In fact, it's one of the major benefits of the technology.

That said, he is correct that really truly cruddy records would benefit from either a pre-wash to get off the serious gunk or an extra long wash cycle. I think a drop of surfactant and a ZeroStat would solve a lot of his issues.

I'm listening to his review now and I dunno, doesn't line up with my experience so far at all. He's comparing it to larger, more expensive ultrasonics that use more transducers without noting that they also use four or five times as much water and have a correspondingly larger volume to energize. He doesn't like the use of distilled water, which is something you can easily fix by adding a drop of surfactant (as I do) to break the surface tension.

I'm genuinely curious if some of the issues he ran into are the result of static from air-drying in a low-humidity environment. Especially since he then immediately wet-cleaned it with spray and fixed the issue.
What surfactant do you use? Did you say you used Photoflo somewhere?

What surfactant do you use? Did you say you used Photoflo somewhere?
Yeah, I have a bottle of PhotoFlo from back when I was mixing my own solution. I use a single small drop in the tank and it seems to do the job.

Yeah, I have a bottle of PhotoFlo from back when I was mixing my own solution. I use a single small drop in the tank and it seems to do the job.
I’ve resisted because I didn’t want to add anything else to the tank per their instructions. But one or two of my records I cleaned last night still had some ticks and pops despite visually looking clean. Might be a humidity issue.

Assuming this is the stuff?
1637070023367.jpeg

I’ve resisted because I didn’t want to add anything else to the tank per their instructions. But one or two of my records I cleaned last night still had some ticks and pops despite visually looking clean. Might be a humidity issue.

Assuming this is the stuff?
View attachment 117525
Honestly you might consider taking up @91X on his Turgitol offer.

Anyone try using spinclean solution? I ask because I'd have some of that around when I get one of these.
I'm pretty hesitant to add any kind of cleaning solutions into this machine to be honest...trying to avoid adding anything beyond a surfactant to it. Since a lot of the pieces inside the machine are plastic, I don't really wanna introduce anything that could potentially degrade the parts.

Do you think the Turgitol is a better wetting agent for use with records? Because a 16 oz bottle of Photo-Flo runs about $16 shipped. Or, a liter of Ilfotol is $28 shipped.
iirc, Turgitol is what the Library of Congress uses to clean its records. And you're gonna be using single drops of this stuff for a whole batch, so the 100mL that @91X is selling will last you a LONG time.

Back