New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Anyone try using spinclean solution? I ask because I'd have some of that around when I get one of these.

If you’re cleaning records that were previously done in a spin clean you will find a build up of a white detergent like material in your water tank after a while cleaning.

I wouldn’t add it though, it serves a purpose in the spin clean that isn’t needed in an ultrasonic.

iirc, Turgitol is what the Library of Congress uses to clean its records. And you're gonna be using single drops of this stuff for a whole batch, so the 100mL that @91X is selling will last you a LONG time.

A) How much is he selling it for?

B) So you don't have to use distilled water with this thing? Because you definitely did with the Spin Clean. Or at least, that's what my father (who sold high end audio equipment for 30 years) taught me to do.

C) Oh and how many records constitutes a batch?

A) How much is he selling it for?

B) So you don't have to use distilled water with this thing? Because you definitely did with the Spin Clean. Or at least, that's what my father (who sold high end audio equipment for 30 years) taught me to do.

C) Oh and how many records constitutes a batch?
A) $25 for 100mL.

B) You should use distilled water! Don’t want any dissolved minerals.

C) Honestly, however many records I feel like cleaning at the time. I’ve yet to see the water become visibly dirty, and the big grime gets caught by the filters.

I have a huge bottle of triton x-100 i used in formulating manual wash liquid. As I recall, getting that to dissolve was not trivial. Any suggestions for using that in the humminguru?

Also, I still have serious reservations about longevity. How uder serviceable would something like the transducer be if I needed to manually replace it?

Also, I still have serious reservations about longevity. How uder serviceable would something like the transducer be if I needed to manually replace it?
Unless someone's willing to do a full teardown, hard to say. Transducers are a wear item, though. The hope is that they're using a somewhat standard part. Maybe I'll reach out and ask them.

edit: re the Triton X-100, I don't see why not. You'd want to use warm water to make it easier to dissolve, I think.

I don’t remember Triton X 100 being difficult to dissolve back in my lab days, but I always used it in buffered solutions. Maybe check if your water is too basic or acidic? And see if that’s a concern with Triton X?

I don’t remember Triton X 100 being difficult to dissolve back in my lab days, but I always used it in buffered solutions. Maybe check if your water is too basic or acidic? And see if that’s a concern with Triton X?
I would expect OTC distilled water to be pretty neutral?

I would expect OTC distilled water to be pretty neutral?

I would think so? I wonder if the lack of minerals would be a factor in dissolvability?

Heat and agitation should always help. I'm sure you don't have a heat plate/stirrer, magnetic stir bars and Erlenmeyer flasks, so warming the water so it's just hot to the touch (60 C) and then shaking could work.

What percent solution would you make?

the triton being sold here seems to be in liquid format.

the triton being sold here seems to be in liquid format.

It was a long time ago, but I think it was liquid concentrate when I used it in the lab too. Probably why I don't remember dissolution issues.

I think SDS was the common detergent that came in pellets.

@debianlinux the transducers are not replaceable. Which I suppose doesn’t mean you couldn’t open the thing up and give it the ol college try.

FedEx is asking 89€ as custom fees. Was expecting more tbh, I suppose I am used to Chronopost fees for my Japanese stuff.

FedEx is asking 89€ as custom fees. Was expecting more tbh, I suppose I am used to Chronopost fees for my Japanese stuff.

You must have lower import fees in France then! Mine worked out €99 by the time they took their own cut as well. I’ll have to remember to pay that soon…

You must have lower import fees in France then! Mine worked out €99 by the time they took their own cut as well. I’ll have to remember to pay that soon…

Of course you pay more, FedEx used my boat to transport the RCM and, to save on shipping, I ordered a few hundred Japanese Jazz records to pack all together. Who is the best when it comes to save money? This guy!

Of course you pay more, FedEx used my boat to transport the RCM and, to save on shipping, I ordered a few hundred Japanese Jazz records to pack all together. Who is the best when it comes to save money? This guy!

I have to spend some time reading but from the few posts it seems like reviews are very positive?

I have to spend some time reading but from the few posts it seems like reviews are very positive?
Yep! Great so far. Mine is much quieter than the VPI but it’s still kind of an annoying sound so now I’ve taken to setting it up in another room and letting it do its thing. Otherwise though, it does a very nice job. It’ll be interesting to see how durable it is and if there are any issues over time.

270 slabs of vinyl in and it’s still brilliant and still making everything sound so much quieter and so just letting the music shine!
i've noticed the biggest difference so far in some of my record city purchases. they weren't cleaned when they arrived so had some pops and clicks. i ran them through my VPI and still heard pops and clicks so i figured maybe it was just the condition. ran them through the humminguru and they are dead silent now. i feel like there's more detail present now but that could just be a placebo effect since i don't focus on any of the pops and clicks anymore.

i've noticed the biggest difference so far in some of my record city purchases. they weren't cleaned when they arrived so had some pops and clicks. i ran them through my VPI and still heard pops and clicks so i figured maybe it was just the condition. ran them through the humminguru and they are dead silent now. i feel like there's more detail present now but that could just be a placebo effect since i don't focus on any of the pops and clicks anymore.

Yep that and some of my old Van Morrison records because you have to go used with so much of his!

Back