New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

I was sold when @Joe Mac hit record #270. If I can get through my entire collection and it croaks on the last record it is still worth it (~500 collection).

I’ve cleaned 540 pieces of vinyl now. I’m not quite sure how many releases/albums that is (far less I’d wager because I’ve cleaned all 5 Bowie boxes, the kinks box and a lot of doubles and few triples). I’m away from Dublin this week so no more done but I’m guessing I’m maybe on or approaching a quarter of the way though my collection.

As a bonus I have also found 3 releases that had dropped off discogs.

I’ve cleaned 540 pieces of vinyl now. I’m not quite sure how many releases/albums that is (far less I’d wager because I’ve cleaned all 5 Bowie boxes, the kinks box and a lot of doubles and few triples). I’m away from Dublin this week so no more done but I’m guessing I’m maybe on or approaching a quarter of the way though my collection.

As a bonus I have also found 3 releases that had dropped off discogs.
THAT is impressive and does say something in favor of the HumminGuru...
I actually have lost count of how many LPs have run through mine (over 100+ for sure), do know I have definitely used my fair share of 1-gallon containers of Distilled water (though I am recycling water to some degree at this stage).

Only "wear issues" thus far (for me) is a squeaky drive wheel and every once in a while now a transducer briefly hits an "odd frequency/sound" not sure if that it's an "issue" but it does happen more frequently now that I have used the machine more.

Ben

I actually have lost count of how many LPs have run through mine (over 100+ for sure), do know I have definitely used my fair share of 1-gallon containers of Distilled water (though I am recycling water to some degree at this stage).

Only "wear issues" thus far (for me) is a squeaky drive wheel and every once in a while now a transducer briefly hits an "odd frequency/sound" not sure if that it's an "issue" but it does happen more frequently now that I have used the machine more.

Ben
Mine also occasionally shifts frequencies like you're saying, but I haven't seen any rhyme or reason to it. Doesn't seem to affect the end result.

So, mine came yesterday! Couple of thoughts.

1. You all weren't joking in regards to how clean this thing gets records. The new Idles record landed right before Thankgiving. Great sounding record other than two tracks on side B that had some pops and clicks. After running it through the Guru? Silent as can be.
2. It's also easy as all hell to use, as advertised.

That said--
3. The filter (the specific name mentioned in the booklet is escaping me) at the bottom of the reservoir does not lock into place on mine. The 3 in 1 tool make is really is to yank out, but putting it back in place is trickier. And I'm wondering if the fact that it doesn't lock into place is part of why...
4. Despite the reviews here claiming that they got through large batches to records without changing water, that was not my experience last night. I clean a total of 5 pieces of wax before the water was completely filthy. All of them new records. And after the second batch, I was noticing little pieces of thread or hair on the records after drying.

Initially I thought the drying process was creating static and attracting shit out of the air. However, I think I was fucking up and not being careful enough when pouring the water back into the tank and some of it was seeping through the holes at the top of the water compartment. But could it also be that the filter at the bottom of the reservoir isn't staying secure?

Either way though, the color of the water was nasty after just a few wax-- a color of brown that the spin clean used to take 15-20 records to reach. Which makes me think I'm gonna be running through a lot of distilled water.

Last edited:

Ben

Yeah I’m still pandemic working from home so I’m able to just get up and change albums over whilst still working at my table. Means I can usually get approx 30 done while working in a day when I’m in Dublin and in my apartment. Plus I seem to have been pretty early on in getting it!

The question is longevity but even after the amount of records I’ve done so far it’s not operating any differently to the start, barring the odd squeal from it.

So, mine came yesterday! Couple of thoughts.

1. You all weren't joking in regards to how clean this thing gets records. The new Idles record landed right before Thankgiving. Great sounding record other than two tracks on side B that had some pops and clicks. After running it through the Guru? Silent as can be.
2. It's also easy as all hell to use, as advertised.

That said--
3. The filter (the specific name mentioned in the booklet is escaping me) at the bottom of the reservoir does not lock into place on mine. The 3 in 1 tool make is really is to yank out, but putting it back in place is trickier. And I'm wondering if the fact that it doesn't lock into place is part of why...
4. Despite the reviews here claiming that they got through large batches to records without changing water, that was not my experience last night. I clean a total of 5 pieces of wax before the water was completely filthy. All of them new records. And after the second batch, I was noticing little pieces of thread or hair on the records after drying.

Initially I thought the drying process was creating static and attracting shit out of the air. However, I think I was fucking up and not being careful enough when pouring the water back into the tank and some of it was seeping through the holes at the top of the water compartment. But could it also be that the filter at the bottom of the reservoir isn't staying secure?

Either way though, the color of the water was nasty after just a few wax-- a color of brown that the spin clean used to take 15-20 records to reach. Which makes me think I'm gonna be running through a lot of distilled water.
Many of the records I was washing had been through one or more vacuum cleaning cycles in the past. I did a few sealed new records as well, with varying levels of grime. Only one time do I recall a record putting off enough guff to color the water. But hey, that's probably a good sign for you! At least distilled water is cheap.

Regarding the reservoir filter, it’s odd it’s not snapping into place for you. Mine just pops in with downward pressure.

Many of the records I was washing had been through one or more vacuum cleaning cycles in the past. I did a few sealed new records as well, with varying levels of grime. Only one time do I recall a record putting off enough guff to color the water. But hey, that's probably a good sign for you! At least distilled water is cheap.

Regarding the reservoir filter, it’s odd it’s not snapping into place for you. Mine just pops in with downward pressure.

Okay. So it's definitely supposed to latch into place? Guess I'll contact their customer support over the weekend.

I presume you latch / unlatch via the twisting the tool 45 degrees. Do you just pull up or slide out?

Okay. So it's definitely supposed to latch into place? Guess I'll contact their customer support over the weekend.

I presume you latch / unlatch via the twisting the tool 45 degrees. Do you just pull up or slide out?
Initially I was trying to twist to unlatch, but you actually twist the tool in the filter to lock it in place and then just pull.

The twisting is just to lock the tool into the filter to allow you to pull it out. The filter itself just clicks into place with downward pressure, then you twist to release the tool.

The twisting is just to lock the tool into the filter to allow you to pull it out. The filter itself just clicks into place with downward pressure, then you twist to release the tool.

So. I think I was just tired last night and trying to slide it in slightly off center of where it's supposed to latch. Thanks guys.

Side note, all the filters that come with this thing are merely replacements ya?

Question: Would you say this is safe to use in the ultrasonic cleaner tub?

iSonic - CSGJ01x2 CSGJ01-8OZx2 Ultrasonic Jewelry/Eye Wear Cleaning Solution Concentrate (Pack of 2)
Amazon product ASIN B01DBP3YTO
Versus buying this:
Are you dissatisfied with the results using just distilled water, or distilled water with a tiny amount of wetting agent? Because I would be doing that first, before I tried any solution.

Reactions: OMC
Are you dissatisfied with the results using just distilled water, or distilled water with a tiny amount of wetting agent? Because I would be doing that first, before I tried any solution.
The only additive I have tried in distilled water is a capful of the Spin-Clean fluid, and some 70% isopropyl.

I wouldn't let THAT be the reason to stop ya... Noise level was one of the biggest "hang-ups" I had about RCMs and one major reason why I chose the HumminGuru... in terms of noise level it FAR exceeded my expectations. I think its quite quiet for what it does... Loudest part is the "drain cycle" at 38-seconds and even then loudest part is the end when theres no water left (8 seconds?).

Only caveat I have on sound is you may be bothered by the 40kHz frequency buzz... doesn't bother me but bothers my 19 yo (young able ears unlike my used-up old ones), and frequency buzz is inherent to ANY ultrasonic machine.

Ben
i just was noting from the review by techmoan plus one other review...

i never even owned a vacuum machine all i have is a spinclean so obviously i don't have experience with the noise (though i do vacuum my house 3 times a day so i am used the vacuum loudness)

Haha, I am pretty high frequency deaf, y'all. All I hear is the motor turning, the cavitation bubbling, and a very soft whistling sound. However, if I hang out for the duration I start to get kind of a temple and nape of the neck straining feel. So far all I've done is cleaned a fresh out of the shrink record but it was dead quiet. Now I'm running a couple records that I previously cleaned that had some annoying pops in them that I know should clean out.

Am I alone in wanting to add a tad more water to get further into the deadwax?

My other note on operation is that the fan seems to push water out of the way well but once the water is outside the path of the blower it stays pretty well beaded up. I have taken a microfiber cloth and lightly touched the inner and outer path on each side for a rotation to dry it all up. I feel like this could have benefited from either a vacuum instead of a blower, a wider blower, or a contact cloth at the roller that engaged during drying.

Back