New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Haha, I am pretty high frequency deaf, y'all. All I hear is the motor turning, the cavitation bubbling, and a very soft whistling sound. However, if I hang out for the duration I start to get kind of a temple and nape of the neck straining feel. So far all I've done is cleaned a fresh out of the shrink record but it was dead quiet. Now I'm running a couple records that I previously cleaned that had some annoying pops in them that I know should clean out.

Am I alone in wanting to add a tad more water to get further into the deadwax?

My other note on operation is that the fan seems to push water out of the way well but once the water is outside the path of the blower it stays pretty well beaded up. I have taken a microfiber cloth and lightly touched the inner and outer path on each side for a rotation to dry it all up. I feel like this could have benefited from either a vacuum instead of a blower, a wider blower, or a contact cloth at the roller that engaged during drying.

I fill the water upto the top 7” marker even for 12” and it has never wet the label yet and it cleans the deadwax and all of the record for ones that have music to much closer to the label.

Ran through a 1986 press of Love and Rockets Express that hasn't been cleaned since 1986 covered in fingerprints and sleeve dust. Now, I hadn't listened to this record because I would never put a record this dirty on my table to begin with. After cleaning it passed visual comfort test to play it and DAMN, it was fucking silent. I didn't listen to the whole thing but I spot dropped the needle through all the quiet passages and there was nothing but music in the grooves. I feel certain I could not have gotten this record to this condition on a first pass through the squeaky clean.

I fill the water upto the top 7” marker even for 12” and it has never wet the label yet and it cleans the deadwax and all of the record for ones that have music to much closer to the label.
Yeah I noticed you can actually fill it up a bit more than recommended. I was careful at first as I didn’t want to damage the label. I saw several times on the Acoustic Sounds discogs were they state the record has watermarks on the label due to klaudio cleaning, so thought this would also happen with the HG.

no, guys, I watched the drain cycle through the water container and it is not filtering during drain. I believe the idea is to filter during pouring into the main unit.
I had the same misunderstanding. There's a coarse filter in the tank to catch large debris, but the finer filter in the tank is only when pouring the water back into the unit.

WOW. First go, an OG of Surf's Up. This was a PIF with a lot of tics and pops throughout, even after two vacuum cleanings. After an HG auto deep cleaning, the surface noise is almost entirely gone. Did I say, wow? Because WOW!!!!!

Last edited:
I had the same misunderstanding. There's a coarse filter in the tank to catch large debris, but the finer filter in the tank is only when pouring the water back into the unit.
But doesn't the water go through that same filter when it's being pumped out of the cleaning reservoir? So two times through the filter before another use.

But doesn't the water go through that same filter when it's being pumped out of the cleaning reservoir? So two times through the filter before another use.
I assumed the water was pumped out through the holes of lid of the tank. And then filtered through the white folded filter when poured back in the reservoir.

Do you still see some suds at the top after it pumps it into the reservoir even with only one or two drops?
Very little, but yes.

The water pumps through the hole in the top of the tank.

Very little, but yes.

The water pumps through the hole in the top of the tank.
Cool, but no need for rinsing?

It's neat to see how much of a difference it makes in terms of wetting. Almost no water travels up with the record with just distilled but the whole surface stays wet with a couple drops.

I
Cool, but no need for rinsing?

It's neat to see how much of a difference it makes in terms of wetting. Almost no water travels up with the record with just distilled but the whole surface stays wet with a couple drops.
I haven’t bothered with a rinse.

It has slowly dawned on me that the HumminGuru is going to be a gateway to more full-featured, more-expensive ultrasonic cleaners. Yesterday I caught myself reading about the various high-end USC's in the Music Direct '22 catalog that landed at my door recently. I looked at prices, but mostly I was interested in the features these more expensive units have to offer. Because if I'd never caught a whiff of what ultrasonic cleaning can accomplish, I wouldn't be starting to wonder about how the HumminGuru experience, as relatively great as it is in the evolution of my own cleaning behaviors, might be improved upon. I'd already decided I'd pay more for a unit that pumped the water back into the cleaning reservoir between cycles (thereby removing the only labor currently involved :)). But what else do these giants have to offer? And how much better might the results be (in terms of not only the finished product, but also my experience of the process)?

I also noticed I wasn't any longer laughing at a $1600 - $2000 price tag for a piece of equipment that, prior to owning the HumminGuru, I saw as extravagant and completely unnecessary, but now, as I've stated in a previous post within this thread, recognize as possibly my smartest investment in my audio-nirvana-chasing life!

Any other HumminGuru owners had their thinking expanded along similar lines? And who will be the first to jump?

(Oh, I should mention I’ve cleaned about 110 records to date. Loving it.)

Back