New Music Friday!

I took an hour out of my day to listen to Revenge of the Dreamers 3, and let me say there are some really good tracks on here. There’s a lot of filler with this thing being 18 songs long though, so I don’t think I’ll ever revisit it as a full album.

What do y'all think of the new Thom Yorke album? I think it's good, not great.

I think it's amazing, my favorite of his solo albums so far. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I seem to be the opposite of most people. I can take or leave The Eraser and that seems to be most people's favorites, and I love Tomorrow's Modern Boxes and most people seem lukewarm on that one. I feel like Anima is a very polished, cohesive album and the songs meld together better to be more of a musical story than his other solo albums, which feel like they are more just collections of songs.

Really weird week for new releases, Jaden Smith and Marshmello are the two 'biggest' by far and that's pretty much it, not a fan of either. Am I missing something? It's the middle of summer in the US, there's usually more coming out than this isn't there?

Some of today's releases:

Metacritic with Agregate Scores: (These get updated throughout the day and weeks so keep checking back)
Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains - 89
Banks - III - 84
Tiny Changes: A Celebration of Frightened Rabbit's The Midnight Organ Fight - 79
Africa Express - Egoli - 74
Penelope Isles - Until the Tide Creeps In - 67

NPR's Top 8 Albums Out Today:
1.Imperial Teen: Now We Are Timeless
2.Mal Blum: Pity Boy
3.Africa Express: EGOLI
4.Big K.R.I.T.: K.R.I.T. IZ HERE
5.Ed Sheeran: No. 6 Collaborations Project
6.Blood Orange: Angel's Pulse
7.Various: Tiny Changes: A Celebration of the Midnight Organ Fight
8.K.Flay: Solutions
Other notable releases for July 12: Bleached - Don't You Think You've Had Enough?; The Dolly Rots - Daydream Explosion; Félicia Atkinson - The Flower and the Vessel (released 7/5); Jesca Hoop - Stone Child (released 7/5); Kyle Craft - Showboat Honey; METZ - Automat; Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun: A Good Beginning; Tycho - Weather

Pitchfork's Album Reviews

Not really sure I'm really excited about any of these releases, what should I be checking out?

EDIT: Don't forget about the Lion King Soundtrack, Childish Gambino and Beyoncé together, what more could you want?!

Some of today's releases:

Metacritic with Agregate Scores: (These get updated throughout the day and weeks so keep checking back)
Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains - 89
Banks - III - 84
Tiny Changes: A Celebration of Frightened Rabbit's The Midnight Organ Fight - 79
Africa Express - Egoli - 74
Penelope Isles - Until the Tide Creeps In - 67

NPR's Top 8 Albums Out Today:
1.Imperial Teen: Now We Are Timeless
2.Mal Blum: Pity Boy
3.Africa Express: EGOLI
4.Big K.R.I.T.: K.R.I.T. IZ HERE
5.Ed Sheeran: No. 6 Collaborations Project
6.Blood Orange: Angel's Pulse
7.Various: Tiny Changes: A Celebration of the Midnight Organ Fight
8.K.Flay: Solutions
Other notable releases for July 12: Bleached - Don't You Think You've Had Enough?; The Dolly Rots - Daydream Explosion; Félicia Atkinson - The Flower and the Vessel (released 7/5); Jesca Hoop - Stone Child (released 7/5); Kyle Craft - Showboat Honey; METZ - Automat; Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun: A Good Beginning; Tycho - Weather

Pitchfork's Album Reviews

Not really sure I'm really excited about any of these releases, what should I be checking out?

EDIT: Don't forget about the Lion King Soundtrack, Childish Gambino and Beyoncé together, what more could you want?!
Blood Orange!!!

Also, there is a new Beand New Heavies single

Some songs on this Tiny Changes: A Celebration of Frightened Rabbit's The Midnight Organ Fight are really REALLY good, and some are pretty lifeless and bad. Such is the life of a compilation tribute album. Miss you Scott.

Last edited:
Not a lot I'm seeing that's catching my eye this week. I'm listening to the new Sum 41 album right now. Never thought I'd say that in 2019, but the singles caught my attention, and so far I'm enjoying it.

Finished Sum 41. Bit weak in the 2nd half but I felt it started and finished strong, and was an unexpected pop punk journey I wasn't expecting to take today. Standout tracks, The New Sensation, 45 (A Matter of Time), The People Vs...

Speaking of pop punk journeys, I was looking at p4k's reviews this week and saw Mal Blum, "Pity Boy," which had "The New York singer-songwriter shifts from acoustic folk into potent pop-punk that recalls both Hop Along and Titus Andronicus." for the header. Sounds right up my alley!

Willow Smith continues to prove she has the musical talent in the family. Willow is her third solid release in a row. Can we get something on vinyl, please?
For. Real. This might be my favorite release from her yet, spent a solid half hour looking for a vinyl release online.

Danggggg!

*Googles new Willow Smith album*

Back