New Music Friday!

listened to beyonce - i dunno, i am not a huge fan, the guest spots are okay and everything the queen does fine except for the oscar grab which just makes me nauseous

finally getting around to the second dope lemon album, which so far sounds exactly like how a stoned angus stone tends to sound

My listens from today -

Of Monsters and Men - Fever Dream - Super pop forward. Not digging the new direction
Caamp - By and By - Probably my favorite release of the day
Mini Mansions - The Great Pretenders - Super groovy, but gets stale on the back half
Chance The Rapper - The Big Day - Lots of filler with some bangers in between

My listens from today -

Of Monsters and Men - Fever Dream - Super pop forward. Not digging the new direction
Mini Mansions - The Great Pretenders - Super groovy, but gets stale on the back half
The Big Day really suffers from being an hour and seventeen minutes long. I started losing interest half way through. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

The Big Day really suffers from being an hour and seventeen minutes long. I started losing interest half way through. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

feels very much for the first time like he's intent on gaming the system like drake or chris brown or what have you and STACKING the album with tracks to appease streaming service algorithms and get himself a top spot on the charts for as long as possible

haven't listened to it yet; i liked chance a lot until i saw him live and the constant proselytising drove me up the wall

My listens from today -

Agreed, I listened to the first half of the album and only 1 track stood out, the rest were just ok to me. I've honestly never been a huge fan of his music though.

My listens from today -

Agreed.. I've done one listen through of Fever Dream earlier today, and I'm doing another listen through right now. It is definitely different than their previous stuff. I am enjoying Nanna's vocals a LOT and they are the best part of the whole album, but otherwise, it is not as standout of an album as their previous ones. I miss the mythical, magical folky feel of their first two albums. Usually I try to give bands a break when their sound changes, and for some bands it works, but I'm not digging this shift as much. But I'll say it's not nearly as bad as some other sound shifts I've heard in the past. I think this album will grow on me and will be a good sound to have when I just want something chill on in the background. The best song on the album imo: Vulture, Vulture. It has some of the energy (and some of those drumbeats) I've come to love from OMAM.

Keeping this tread alive! Got a lot on my plate today, not sure if I'll get to it all.

Albums:
Ride
Off With Their Heads
Sleater-Kinney
The Hold Steady
Friendly Fires
The Murder Party (unfamiliar, but looks to be in my wheelhouse)
Slipknot (missed it last week)

Singles:
NOFX
IDLES
Highly Suspect
Temples
Surfer Blood
The Japanese House
Joywave
Moon Duo
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Metacritic Ratings

NPR Top 8 Albums Released Today:
1.Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won't Hold
2.Frank Turner - No Man's Land
3.Snoh Aalegra - Ugh, Those Feels Again
4.Cousin Stizz - Trying to Find My Next Thrill
5.Shura - Forevher
6.Lillie Mae - Other Girls
7.Rodney Crowell - Texas
8.The Hold Steady - Thrashing Thru The Passion
Other Notable Albums Out Aug 16: Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild; Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors - Dragons; Jason Lytle - Nylon and Juno; Madison Cunningham - Who Are You Now; Maria Usbeck - Envejeciendo; Oso Oso - Basking in the Glow; The Rails - Cancel The Sun.

Pitchfork's Top 5 Albums Released Today:

Personally I'm checking out oso oso and The Murder Capital because of what I've seen on the forum today and Ikebe Shakedown's new release!

Back