Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

A friend just let me know he just had a positive test, from symptoms that started Tuesday. He was at my place on Sunday, but I just had Covid in mid-June. My symptoms finally subsided around June 28/29. Is there any reason for me to test or to be concerned? (I have no symptoms currently) Also, does anyone actually know how soon a person can get re-infected?

In the United States covid tests are no longer free, nor is it a guarantee that your insurance will cover it. In many cases for those with insurance it will hit their deductible. And out of network testing sites will not be covered at all by some insurance providers.

Federal funding / free covid tests ended the end of last month.

People who don't have insurance are likely will not get tested. And those who do have insurance may avoid being tested. So when the next wave hits, expect the numbers to be underreported.
I was just able to order another round of free tests through USPS like a week ago.

A friend just let me know he just had a positive test, from symptoms that started Tuesday. He was at my place on Sunday, but I just had Covid in mid-June. My symptoms finally subsided around June 28/29. Is there any reason for me to test or to be concerned? (I have no symptoms currently) Also, does anyone actually know how soon a person can get re-infected?

It depends on what variant you got and what your friend got. Assuming it's the same variant, because an area is usually predominantly affected by one main variant at a time, I'd say you're ok. Even if it's a different variant, your body is likely still filled with antibodies from your infection, so it should be primed to fight off Omicrons. With the caveat that everyone's immune system is different. So don't worry unless you get actual symptoms (which is unlikely but never impossible)?

It depends on what variant you got and what your friend got. Assuming it's the same variant, because an area is usually predominantly affected by one main variant at a time, I'd say you're ok. Even if it's a different variant, your body is likely still filled with antibodies from your infection, so it should be primed to fight off Omicrons. With the caveat that everyone's immune system is different. So don't worry unless you get actual symptoms (which is unlikely but never impossible)?
Hmmm, turns out there is some data on the CDC site about reinfection with the same variant within 90 days. And my wife texted me that she has been coughing all day. She just finished her bout of it three days after me...not even two weeks ago. She'll be testing after work, and I will if she's positive. I'll remain optimistic, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Do we think cases are the rise again, or is Florida just now publishing their backlog from when they were fudging the numbers?
Yes, I absolutely think cases are on the rise because of BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variants (BA.5 looks to be especially gnarly when it comes to spreading). This coincides with rises in cases in Europe and South Africa. I am unsure of variant prevalence in Asia and South America, but in North America, we are seeing an ebb in Omicron and a surge in these new Omicron variants.
In the United States covid tests are no longer free, nor is it a guarantee that your insurance will cover it. In many cases for those with insurance it will hit their deductible. And out of network testing sites will not be covered at all by some insurance providers.

Federal funding / free covid tests ended the end of last month.

People who don't have insurance are likely will not get tested. And those who do have insurance may avoid being tested. So when the next wave hits, expect the numbers to be underreported.
The numbers I have read are that we are identifying about one in seven infections here in the US. This makes all of our numbers around Covid very questionable.

Hmmm, turns out there is some data on the CDC site about reinfection with the same variant within 90 days. And my wife texted me that she has been coughing all day. She just finished her bout of it three days after me...not even two weeks ago. She'll be testing after work, and I will if she's positive. I'll remain optimistic, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Damn... godspeed!

The numbers I have read are that we are identifying about one in seven infections here in the US. This makes all of our numbers around Covid very questionable.
I mean, my family of 4 just sat out a week with it. Was I supposed to self-report? If so, where? Does it matter that I picked it up in TN and quarantined it out in NC?

I mean, my family of 4 just sat out a week with it. Was I supposed to self-report? If so, where? Does it matter that I picked it up in TN and quarantined it out in NC?

The county I live in has a link on their website for home test reporting and they ask a bunch of questions and then issue isolation orders and quarantine orders for contacts. It sounds like they leave it to the person that tested positive to inform potential contacts. Unfortunately, the process could be entirely different where you live.

We traveled to Utah last week to visit family and on the last day my wife got sick and tested positive, then my daughter, then me, all for the first time. My son, who caught it back in February during the Omicron wave has been completely fine. We've all had one day of feeling pretty crappy, with runny/stuffy noses and coughs. I was out of commission all day yesterday, but today I've been fine doing stuff around the house.

@Max Sterling - hope you feel better soon!

I had a good run, but here I am.
So far just a mild cold and a light fever. Hoping that's all I have to deal with, but I am VERY large, so a bit of a statistic. Wish me luck.
Knew I should have brought gloves to that pinball convention.
lets try and not call it a "cold", that gives a wrong impression of what the Covid virus is scientifically to others. Mild symptoms, yes. Hope you get better soon.

lets try and not call it a "cold", that gives a wrong impression of what the Covid virus is scientifically to others. Mild symptoms, yes. Hope you get better soon.
That's all I meant by it, I'm not trying to minimize it. It feels like I have mild cold symptoms. Scratchy throat, stuffy nose. I'm well aware of how serious it is.

I'd like to say "A reasonable person wouldn't base their information about COVID on me, some rando on the internet" but we're living in weird times... so point taken ;)

Back