Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Of the developed world / rich nations, the United States has one of the lowest the lowest vaccination rates.

Europe averages at 62.6% of its population being fully vaccinated and having at least 1 booster, the UK is at 69.6%. The United States is suck at 48.7% and those seeking their booster 1st booster has pretty much come to a stop.

People in the United States just don't want to get the vaccination. Whether it's because it's been politicized, they don't trust the government or believe in conspiracy theories people just are not getting a vaccine that could potentially save their life.

The CDC is now saying that the we have a serious problem in the United States when it comes to getting people vaccinated. This could result in more waves of covid, mutations and so on.

I'm pretty sure I caught Covid from my workplace. Four others in the office have had it, and one of my bosses came back seemingly early. He tested positive last Sunday and came back to the office Friday and said he still didn't feel that great. Then of course he called me into his office to discuss something. But, I have to believe I wasn't going to dodge it forever.

Well, I finally caught it, and so did my wife. I thought I just had a cold since last Monday. I'd had some kind of flu (tested negative about 4 times) a few weeks back that sent me to bed with a 103 fever, so I though this was just so residual immune system weakness allowing a cold to get me. She started feeling really rough Wed-Thursday, so she tested on Friday and was positive on two tests. So I tested and, sure enough, positive.

She's had a pretty tough go of it, what with different immune system issues she has. For me, it's been just a small nuisance.

Day two isn't much better. (fever, chills, cough) I guess I had hoped that being vaxxed and boosted means it would be a breeze. But it definitely could be worse.

One strange thing for me is knowing I can't go back to work this week regardless of how I feel. Any other sickness over the years, it's just a matter of feeling better and going back.

Also, I'm pissed that I have to burn vacation time for this.

Day two isn't much better. (fever, chills, cough) I guess I had hoped that being vaxxed and boosted means it would be a breeze. But it definitely could be worse.

One strange thing for me is knowing I can't go back to work this week regardless of how I feel. Any other sickness over the years, it's just a matter of feeling better and going back.

Also, I'm pissed that I have to burn vacation time for this.

Yea I tested positive back in December. Barely felt anything, but it upended my work and family so much it was a pain in the ass.

I’m glad it wasn’t too bad for you. Maybe it was closer to your booster so it was warding it off more efficiently?

So much.

I never got boosted, mostly out of laziness or just being too busy. And later toward the spring when my wife caught it, probably my kid also, I didn’t get it from them. It was still a big hassle. I got lucky though. I don’t want to minimize it though. I have a friend that is having long term problems and another that was a denier that died from it.

I never got boosted, mostly out of laziness or just being too busy. And later toward the spring when my wife caught it, probably my kid also, I didn’t get it from them. It was still a big hassle. I got lucky though. I don’t want to minimize it though. I have a friend that is having long term problems and another that was a denier that died from it.
Sorry for your loss. I have similar stories - a friend died last year from it, and one of my oldest friends is struggling badly. I just texted with him yesterday. His heart is in awful shape, and he ended up with Lyme disease as well, which was unrelated but certainly made things worse. He's also very overweight, so he is high risk anyway.

I am bummed that I still don't feel good, I thought maybe this would be similar to having a bad cold. But I am really lacking energy, the cough won't go away. I was thinking I was good enough to mow my lawn today and it felt like I was pushing a 200 pound sled around the yard. (I was wondering if any neighbors were watching, I must have looked like a frail 90 year old) I came in light-headed and felt really bad for a bit.

And, my wife tested positive this morning, I guess it's not surprising. We are supposed to leave in 8 days for a week-long family vacation. 20 of us in one rental house. I really don't know how that's going to go at this point.

I don't have any symptoms, but a friend that I went to a concert with the other night (first show since pre-pandemic) has symptoms (waiting on his test) and his baby has tested positive... So luckily my work provides home tests. I've dodged it so far, I'd hate to get it now.

Update: I tested negative. Somehow dodged it again.

Last edited:
Day 6? I lost track.
But seriously, what a time vacuum this has been...I can't believe it's Saturday and that I basically laid around for an entire week. (except for that lawn mowing episode) I am supposed to go back to work Monday, I assume I will, they don't require a negative test.
I haven't smoked weed all week, not even a little craving, but I had a couple beers last night.

My wife has dodged having a fever; she just has a cough and congestion, some aches and pains...I'm glad she's not struggling.

I've texted with plenty of friends this week that have already had it, and most of them said they weren't 100% for weeks....even with mild cases, it lingered. Oh the irony of the title of this thread eh?

On Tuesday my company flew in all the remote people as well as the people from the different offices for a company picnic. First time we have seen most of our co workers in 2+ years and many of them for the first time.

And of course today we get notice from HR that one of them tested positive. Whoever it was was both at the picnic and the office yesterday.

I was both at the picnic and in the office yesterday. A couple hours after the email from HR this afternoon I then got the contact notification that I may have been exposed on my iPhone.

The email from HR just said to monitor your symptoms. But Is this a case of I should get a covid test regardless of having symptoms? And if so, how long should I wait before getting one?

On Tuesday my company flew in all the remote people as well as the people from the different offices for a company picnic. First time we have seen most of our co workers in 2+ years and many of them for the first time.

And of course today we get notice from HR that one of them tested positive. Whoever it was was both at the picnic and the office yesterday.

I was both at the picnic and in the office yesterday. A couple hours after the email from HR this afternoon I then got the contact notification that I may have been exposed on my iPhone.

The email from HR just said to monitor your symptoms. But Is this a case of I should get a covid test regardless of having symptoms? And if so, how long should I wait before getting one?
Obviously, we are not ready for a total return to normal. I really wish these corporate CEO's would cool it on "returning to the office". There's evidence that being reinfected with Covid over and over again, does not boost immunity, and may be worse for you:

Compared to non-infected controls, assessment of the cumulative risks of repeated infection showed that the risk and burden increased in a graded fashion according to the number of infections. The constellation of findings show that reinfection adds non-trivial risks of all-cause mortality, hospitalization, and adverse health outcomes in the acute and post-acute phase of the reinfection.

Obviously, we are not ready for a total return to normal. I really wish these corporate CEO's would cool it on "returning to the office". There's evidence that being reinfected with Covid over and over again, does not boost immunity, and may be worse for you:

Compared to non-infected controls, assessment of the cumulative risks of repeated infection showed that the risk and burden increased in a graded fashion according to the number of infections. The constellation of findings show that reinfection adds non-trivial risks of all-cause mortality, hospitalization, and adverse health outcomes in the acute and post-acute phase of the reinfection.

I am lucky enough that I personally have only known one person that has died from the virus, but she and her husband got it, recovered, then got it again months later, with her dying and him, a marathon runner, needing to be on oxygen for a month. They were in their early 50s, if I had to guess.

Just a heads up: I am now officially living proof that it is possible to get a false positive with an at-home testing kit.

Three other tests from three other brands and a PCR test confirmed that I don't have Covid.

I am never using that particular product again.

Just a heads up: I am now officially living proof that it is possible to get a false positive with an at-home testing kit.

Three other tests from three other brands and a PCR test confirmed that I don't have Covid.

I am never using that particular product again.

Which was the product that gave the false positive? The Rapid Response test by BTNX is what the government has been giving us for free here.

In the United States covid tests are no longer free, nor is it a guarantee that your insurance will cover it. In many cases for those with insurance it will hit their deductible. And out of network testing sites will not be covered at all by some insurance providers.

Federal funding / free covid tests ended the end of last month.

People who don't have insurance are likely will not get tested. And those who do have insurance may avoid being tested. So when the next wave hits, expect the numbers to be underreported.

Back