Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Man I have been feeling like crap for the past week but all my rapid tests are coming back negative.

Probably time for a PCR. Anyone have experience with false negatives on multiple rapids?

False negatives seems to be pretty common around me. It's anecdotal, but I've seen this in 2-3 families over the last several months: many members of a family are sick, looks like the same thing, one or two test positive, the others never.

That being said, there have been reports of the flu being very early this year, in that it's already making the rounds with the start of the school year.

False negatives seems to be pretty common around me. It's anecdotal, but I've seen this in 2-3 families over the last several months: many members of a family are sick, looks like the same thing, one or two test positive, the others never.

That being said, there have been reports of the flu being very early this year, in that it's already making the rounds with the start of the school year.
Oh man I never even thought about the regular old flu. Not having fever or body aches, but with my 7yo testing positive two weeks ago it only makes sense that I would be at risk for catching it.

Also, we have this going on currently...

Also, we have this going on currently...

I have a friend with twin girls hospitalized for RSV right now. My own kid's daycare sounds like a TB ward with all the kids coughing. It's not RSV, but there is something additional going around that leaves kids with a racking, persistent cough for weeks on end.

Omicron booster + Flu shot on deck for me this afternoon. Off work on Monday so have an extra day to recuperate from any side effects.

I have a friend with twin girls hospitalized for RSV right now. My own kid's daycare sounds like a TB ward with all the kids coughing. It's not RSV, but there is something additional going around that leaves kids with a racking, persistent cough for weeks on end.

My brother in law (high schooler) and my MIL (school principal) have had a similar cough for a week+. It's naaaaasty sounding.

Omicron booster + Flu shot on deck for me this afternoon. Off work on Monday so have an extra day to recuperate from any side effects.

My brother in law (high schooler) and my MIL (school principal) have had a similar cough for a week+. It's naaaaasty sounding.
Yeah. At least for older folks there's always the option of NyQuil or Robitussin or whatever. Our problem is that it wakes my son up in the middle of the night and then he can't get back to sleep. And there's no approved cough medicines for two year olds, so you're stuck with homeophatic products and spoonfuls of honey and stuff like that. We had finally hit a pretty good stride with him being able to sleep through the night, and 2-3 weeks of interrupted sleep is turning him into a crabby little monster. And I swear to god if one more person recommends that I run a cool-mist humidifier in his room at night I'm gonna explode.

Basically, science is saying the newer bivalent covid booster is no better than the original as covid-19 is evolving new strains faster than the vaccines can keep up. Over all, vaccine effectiveness is down due to different strains now being in circulation.

The FDA is behind in the game:

Because, based on the above information, updated annual boosters will not being able to keep up with the current stain in circulation.

Basically, science is saying the newer bivalent covid booster is no better than the original as covid-19 is evolving new strains faster than the vaccines can keep up. Over all, vaccine effectiveness is down due to different strains now being in circulation.

Because, based on the above information, updated annual boosters will not being able to keep up with the current stain in circulation.
I envision this quickly becoming a similar thing to our current annual flu shots. Sometimes they get it pretty close and they work fairly well, other times not so much.

I envision this quickly becoming a similar thing to our current annual flu shots. Sometimes they get it pretty close and they work fairly well, other times not so much.

The science is predicting the later. A yearly shot will for the most part, not work out so well. The FDA needs to catch up on the science, and propose a different strategy.

so....what are the actual recommendations for current vaccinations? I've got 2 pfizer and 1 booster, but am overdue for ....something.

Rolling my eyes once again at the overpromising & underdelivering of Pfizer saying they would be able to develop variant-specific boosters in a hundred days or less on a rolling basis.

so....what are the actual recommendations for current vaccinations? I've got 2 pfizer and 1 booster, but am overdue for ....something.

Current recommendations is something is better than nothing.

The science is saying what type you get will not be more or less effective than another.

I got my second booster today. And the Moderna Bivalent vaccine was the only option I had from CVS.

Rolling my eyes once again at the overpromising & underdelivering of Pfizer saying they would be able to develop variant-specific boosters in a hundred days or less on a rolling basis.
Maybe if we, IDK, opened the patent at the beginning of this wild ride, we might have better science…but that’s just me.
Start wearing a mask and push for better air quality in public spaces and at work. This should be the first thing we do over getting a jab that may or may not keep us well. But I’m just a dumb pubic health advocate and we all know that doing things collectively for the benefit of society is not nearly as cool as telling everyone to be personally responsible for their own health.

Back