Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

And here comes the fun with CVS and United Healthcare.

I scheduled my booster for 1/20. When scheduling online I had to provide my insurance information or say I'm uninsured.

Just got contacted by CVS that my insurance is declined and I have 48 hours to update my info to retain my appointment.

I assume this is the same BS with United Healthcare saying CVS is no longer in Network. But CVS is my only option within 20 miles where I could make an appointment to get a booster.

Just changed the form to "I'm Uninsured". I hope I don't have any further problems..

And here comes the fun with CVS and United Healthcare.

I scheduled my booster for 1/20. When scheduling online I had to provide my insurance information or say I'm uninsured.

Just got contacted by CVS that my insurance is declined and I have 48 hours to update my info to retain my appointment.

I assume this is the same BS with United Healthcare saying CVS is no longer in Network. But CVS is my only option within 20 miles where I could make an appointment to get a booster.

Just changed the form to "I'm Uninsured". I hope I don't have any further problems..
Walgreens is stating something similar I believe, they'll take BCBS, but not Aetna..............it's all BS for a shot that,s supposed to be provided to everyone easily.

The Supreme Court blocked President Joe Biden's vaccine or testing requirement aimed at large businesses, but it allowed a vaccine mandate for certain health care workers to go into effect nationwide.
The ruling blocking the rule for large businesses was based on the argument that Congress has not given the Occupational Safety and Health Administration the power to enact such a mandate.
"Although Congress has indisputably given OSHA the power to regulate occupational dangers, it has not given that agency the power to regulate public health more broadly. Requiring the vaccination of 84 million Americans, selected simply because they work for employers with more than 100 employees, certainly falls in the latter category," the unsigned opinion says.
Liberal Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan dissented.

Developing story. SCOTUS just blocked the vaccine mandate for most people.

Walgreens is stating something similar I believe, they'll take BCBS, but not Aetna..............it's all BS for a shot that,s supposed to be provided to everyone easily.
This is a direct repercussion of CVS buying Aetna.
As someone who is in the industry and watching carefully, we are seeing the start of mega health monopolies. Providing healthcare is becoming a more and more expensive endeavor. Due to this, I can see more and more health chains succumb to market pressure and allow themselves to be bought by these much bigger entities and we will end up with more and more consolidation in healthcare. The easiest way to control costs as a health insurer is to have favorable contracts or own the facility. Contracts are the bread and butter of insurance companies, but you can't write favorable contracts...or it seems any at all...if you are also the main competitor of the place you want to contract with. When CVS bought Aetna, there was going to absolutely be no way that Walgreens would ever contract with Aetna on anything because CVS is Walgreen's main competitor. United is the largest health insurer in America. I could see United refusing to contract with CVS given that they own one of their major competitors.

Also, here's the latest fun from the web today:

State officials are attempting to address California's staffing shortage through a sweeping policy change that allows asymptomatic healthcare workers who have tested positive for the coronavirus to return to work immediately. The policy, set to remain in place through Feb. 1, is designed to keep many healthcare workers on the job at a time when hospitals are expecting more patients.

Some experts say California's stance is an unorthodox yet necessary solution to a difficult problem. Yet many healthcare workers and community members say the policy is not only ill-advised, it's potentially dangerous.

Whatever y'all do, don't be an immunocompromised patient in California. With the CDC shortening guidelines despite it being contradictory to transmission data and viral loads during the illness, I was sort of concerned that this was going to happen. The story that @RenegadeMonster told about his sister attempting to call in sick is just the tip of the iceberg for this. They are trying to get people to show up to work sick...to take care of sick people.... I know they said asymptomatic, but RM's sister was told by management that she had the vaccine so she couldn't be sick.

And this fun bit:
An email from Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, on February 2 2020 said that “a likely explanation” was that Covid had rapidly evolved from a Sars-like virus inside human tissue in a low-security lab.

The email, to Dr Anthony Fauci and Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, went on to say that such evolution may have “accidentally created a virus primed for rapid transmission between humans”.

But a leading scientist told Sir Jeremy that “further debate would do unnecessary harm to science in general and science in China in particular”. Dr Collins, the former director of the US National Institutes of Health, warned it could damage “international harmony”.

My head hurts. Okay, I'm going to say this one time y'all: Conspiracy theories abound when governments and people are not honest and forthright. If you cannot tell the American people that we were funding virology research in Wuhan, then maybe we shouldn't be funding virology research in Wuhan.

State officials are attempting to address California's staffing shortage through a sweeping policy change that allows asymptomatic healthcare workers who have tested positive for the coronavirus to return to work immediately. The policy, set to remain in place through Feb. 1, is designed to keep many healthcare workers on the job at a time when hospitals are expecting more patients.

Some experts say California's stance is an unorthodox yet necessary solution to a difficult problem. Yet many healthcare workers and community members say the policy is not only ill-advised, it's potentially dangerous.

Whatever y'all do, don't be an immunocompromised patient in California. With the CDC shortening guidelines despite it being contradictory to transmission data and viral loads during the illness, I was sort of concerned that this was going to happen. The story that @RenegadeMonster told about his sister attempting to call in sick is just the tip of the iceberg for this. They are trying to get people to show up to work sick...to take care of sick people.... I know they said asymptomatic, but RM's sister was told by management that she had the vaccine so she couldn't be sick.

And this fun bit:
An email from Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, on February 2 2020 said that “a likely explanation” was that Covid had rapidly evolved from a Sars-like virus inside human tissue in a low-security lab.

The email, to Dr Anthony Fauci and Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, went on to say that such evolution may have “accidentally created a virus primed for rapid transmission between humans”.

But a leading scientist told Sir Jeremy that “further debate would do unnecessary harm to science in general and science in China in particular”. Dr Collins, the former director of the US National Institutes of Health, warned it could damage “international harmony”.

My head hurts. Okay, I'm going to say this one time y'all: Conspiracy theories abound when governments and people are not honest and forthright. If you cannot tell the American people that we were funding virology research in Wuhan, then maybe we shouldn't be funding virology research in Wuhan.

Not sure if I've posted here on this, but relevant. The same is happening here in Ohio as well.

My two former roommates from college, one a hospital doctor in Cleveland and another a hospital doctor in Akron, have told me that they've been instructed to come in as long as they don't have a fever. Positivity is not a determining factor of whether they are unfit to come into work.

My work just changed the policy so that if you have an exposure, but are vaccinated, you don't have to test or quarantine unless you are symptomatic. I don't think that still applies if you do choose to get a test and are positive though.

Just read a story about Kroger doing the same thing.

They have record level staff shortages right now, and those who are working are working 7 days a week 8 or more hours a day and are completely burnt out. Worse of all, if they get covid and are asymptomatic, they being asked to work. The workers all said they don't know how much longer they can continue to do this or if they want to.

At least according to workers who spoke with reporters.

Meanwhile, Kroger corporate replied with they are have great benefits and offer pay averaging $18.75 an hour. They are actively hiring trying to resolve the staffing shortages.

Kroger made no comments about what workers actually said about working conditions.

I also fear for the people interviewed. Because as an employee, you are not allowed to talk to media by company policy. All media inquiries have to be directed through a media relations figurehead in the corporate offices for all comments.

And this fun bit:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Feb 2020 is just before the US started taking this seriously. For me this all seems like initial speculation when it started with an eye to the PR implications. Once had more time with the virus the evidence because less and less that it was a lab leak right?

Correct me if I’m wrong but Feb 2020 is just before the US started taking this seriously. For me this all seems like initial speculation when it started with an eye to the PR implications. Once had more time with the virus the evidence because less and less that it was a lab leak right?
AFAIK there has been no evidence presented that COVID-19 was present in that lab.

Just read a story about Kroger doing the same thing.

They have record level staff shortages right now, and those who are working are working 7 days a week 8 or more hours a day and are completely burnt out. Worse of all, if they get covid and are asymptomatic, they being asked to work. The workers all said they don't know how much longer they can continue to do this or if they want to.

At least according to workers who spoke with reporters.

Meanwhile, Kroger corporate replied with they are have great benefits and offer pay averaging $18.75 an hour. They are actively hiring trying to resolve the staffing shortages.

Kroger made no comments about what workers actually said about working conditions.

I also fear for the people interviewed. Because as an employee, you are not allowed to talk to media by company policy. All media inquiries have to be directed through a media relations figurehead in the corporate offices for all comments.
Capital and Main just published a piece on Kroger:

An analysis released this week shows that many of the employees of the nation’s largest grocery chain, Kroger, workers who manage and sell food, are themselves scrambling to get enough to eat, struggling with bills because of part-time and unpredictable schedules and contending, as front-line workers do, with the COVID threat.

That’s one revelation coming from a survey of 10,287 workers who described working conditions at Kroger stores in 20 counties across Washington state, Wyoming, Colorado and much of Southern California.

In 2020 as the pandemic gained ground, various employers provided “hazard pay” or bonuses to front-line workers interacting with the public, and local jurisdictions followed suit to enact ordinances establishing what was popularly called a “hero pay” standard. Prior to the passage of the ordinances, Kroger boosted hourly rates in March 2022 but revoked the increases in mid-May. Then, after the “hero pay” laws were enacted, the company began closing down stories rather than paying the new rate — an hourly boost of $2.00, $4.00 in some cities, depending on local wage rules.

Three busy Los Angeles stores were closed — Kroger claimed they were “underperforming,” but also cited the Los Angeles ordinance as a reason.

While Kroger spent some $342.7 million on hazard pay in 2020, the company bought back $1.32 billion in stock the same year.

I don't really know. I need to really read some of those white papers to understand why they think this isn't a lab leak. I would really, really like to believe our leaders but they have been so squirrely through this whole thing.

Sighs, my father couldn't be more excited or boast more about today's SCOTUS ruling.

And of course he had to point out to me and say the decision should have been unanimous. Not down party lines. And that we executed Natzi war criminals for less in the 40's.

Is he implying that he thinks Biden should be executed?

Sighs, my father couldn't be more excited or boast more about today's SCOTUS ruling.

And of course he had to point out to me and say the decision should have been unanimous. Not down party lines. And that we executed Natzi war criminals for less in the 40's.

Is he implying that he thinks Biden should be executed?
it presumably shows that he does not know his history and what nazi war criminals actually did

The bus driver called us up yesterday afternoon because she was sick and needed us to go pick up our kids. We are currently all waiting for the bus, hopeful that she got a sub, but she said that they were having staffing issues due to Covid illnesses. So school outages have affected us down here. Thus far we still have teachers, but they have re-locked down the school, so that no outside visitors could come in--we are back to doing telephonic IEPs. I think we might have to run the kids to school today. It's a good thing I WFH. I feel terrible for all the parents that aren't able to be as flexible as me.

You know, WHEN and IF this finally comes to an end and we see what damage it may or may not have done as a whole, the finger pointing is going to be incredible.

The bus driver called us up yesterday afternoon because she was sick and needed us to go pick up our kids. We are currently all waiting for the bus, hopeful that she got a sub, but she said that they were having staffing issues due to Covid illnesses. So school outages have affected us down here. Thus far we still have teachers, but they have re-locked down the school, so that no outside visitors could come in--we are back to doing telephonic IEPs. I think we might have to run the kids to school today. It's a good thing I WFH. I feel terrible for all the parents that aren't able to be as flexible as me.

Attendance at my school looks to be around 25% of a middle school of 1400 students.

Back