Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

The child care, to me, is the WOOOORRRRSSTTT. My job expects me to be there, but my kids' school may or may not be allowing them to come. It's not as bad as it was at the very beginning, but the inconsistency and constant juggling that we have to do as parents is burning me out.

Working parents are really getting screwed here.

I'm on a conference call right now with 10+ people and least five of us currently either have a kid screaming in the background every time we unmute, or have a profile status in MS Teams saying something like "multi-tasking with a toddler, your patience is appreciated."

I anticipated a really bad and intense month, so I'm not really very surprised, but also this is bad and intense. I'm just going to take vacation on Thursday and Friday and give myself a five day weekend, and hope that by the 18th we can at least go back to daycare.

I recently learned that the Navajo Nation issues very clear and easy to understand guidance, like the N95/KN95 use guidelines here:

I know the Navajo have taken this stuff seriously since Day 1, so I'm making a mental note to go out and look for whatever guidelines they recommend from now on.

Edit: confused about isolation/quarantine guidance? Navajo guidelines here.

I just ran across this article:

"Data presented at the cabinet meeting indicates that here, in Israel, between two to four million citizens in total will be infected during this current wave," Bennett wrote on his Twitter account.

A country of just 9.4 million, Israel has seen infections nearly quadruple over the past week compared to the previous one. The health ministry reported 17,518 new infections on Saturday.

^^ They are saying that up to 40% of Israel could have Covid. FOURTY PERCENT....

Omicron be omicroning

Over 50% of Europe may contract Omicron in weeks - WHO
Over 50% of Europe may contract Omicron in weeks - WHO

Some good news today at least.
But what does this really mean?
I have lots of things that are "covered" by my high deductible health plan (HDHP), but I still must pay out of pocket for them due to my deductible. So does this mean that the covid tests are going to be free for me because my insurance is required to provide up to 8 tests in a year, OR are these now eligible deductible expenses that will hit my deductible spend--but I can only use my HSA to buy 8 tests?

I am guessing that since insurance will "cover it" they really mean that there is no cost to the consumer--that cost will get passed on to their insurance carrier. But it's awfully funny how many times the deductible cost has had to be covered by the federal government. It would seem that all this would be much easier if we had nationalized healthcare....and that's where I'll stop.
I'm on a conference call right now with 10+ people and least five of us currently either have a kid screaming in the background every time we unmute, or have a profile status in MS Teams saying something like "multi-tasking with a toddler, your patience is appreciated."

I anticipated a really bad and intense month, so I'm not really very surprised, but also this is bad and intense. I'm just going to take vacation on Thursday and Friday and give myself a five day weekend, and hope that by the 18th we can at least go back to daycare.
I remember in 2017 when I got fussed at profusely by my boss who was upset that my children got home from school before my work day was over (it was about a 45 minute to an hour overlap). She told me I would have to put them in after school care and was horrified that she heard small voices over the phone. Thankfully, she didn't last long, and I got another boss who was much more okay with that kid and work time overlap. I remember people apologizing because their dog barked. Then when Covid hit, all these employers had to throw that out the window and honestly, this is the one good thing that came out of this crap. The realization that if you want to save money by having people WFH, that you are going to have to deal with the sounds of people working from home. The standard before was so unrealistic.

15 minutes after dropping off my 3yo at daycare today I get the call that he was in close contact with a kid that tested positive. With all the conflicting recommendations going around I don't even know what to do.

I went and picked him up and now we wait? I guess this is just a waste of a potential work day. I know it's no different than if he became ill at school, but still, he's not ill he was just next to someone who was.

The funny thing is, when I dropped off this morning more than half the cubbies were empty so I knew it was only a matter of time before he would be a close contact.
FALSE ALARM!

Well I’m glad it wasn’t the alternative but still, talk about a disruption.

Also, this:

First, the only reason that Red Lobster is one of the largest restaurant employers is because places like McDonalds are franchises. That means that while we can try to force mega employers like Red Lobster to give paid sick leave, people that work at franchised restaurants where the owner is usually technically a "small business owner" are probably going to be exempt from having to provide paid sick leave.

But, really, with Omicron as contagious as it is, y'all realize that if you go get your food prepared from someone else, the probability that that person has Covid is very high. The probability that your cashier, waiter/waitress, short order cook are economically forced to work while sick is very high. If you are immunocompromised in any way, please don't go sit down in a restaurant and eat right now.

Did this person have a family, I mean really

remember in 2017 when I got fussed at profusely by my boss who was upset that my children got home from school before my work day was over (it was about a 45 minute to an hour overlap). She told me I would have to put them in after school care and was horrified that she heard small voices over the phone.

Just got an email that the return to work policy remains the same despite the current waive.

At the end of October, the office opened back up on a voluntary basis. Maximum capacity of 30%. You must be vaccinated or provide a negative covid test from the previous 48 hours to come into the office, and book a socially distant desk in the system.

They kept pushing this phase of return to the office back. But now that they have done it, they have no intentions of going fully remote again.

Those that come into the office are social butterflies. And go out of their mind working from home. They need the interactions with other people in the office everyday and the plan is to continue to allow them to come into the office should they choose too.

I'm surprised though, that they didn't roll back the open in office progress. With how cautious they have been. Sounds like a case of "Vaccinated and done".

Right. Back at the end of summer, I got a bunch for our Labor Day trip. Our local grocery store had a giant bin full of KN95 masks. I think it was a 5 pack. Same grocery store now only has non-medical grade paper masks. You can still get some on places like Amazon but it's not cheap and the people who need them probably can't afford disposable masks that cost $3-$5 each.
And there are so many counterfeit masks out there, it is ridiculous

Did this person have a family, I mean really
She had kids but they were grown, so she conveniently forgot, I guess.

Dogs are better at identifying corona than some tests....not even kidding....

Dogs are better at detecting Covid-19 in humans than many fast lateral flow tests (LFTs), according to a French study which could see canines more widely deployed for mass virus screening in crowded places including airports.

The trial, conducted in March and April by France’s national veterinary school and the clinical research unit of Paris’s Necker-Cochin hospital, showed dogs were able to detect the presence of the virus with 97% accuracy.

The dogs were also 91% correct in identifying negative samples, the study showed. A recent review of 64 studies found LFTs correctly identify on average 72% of people infected with the virus who have symptoms, and 58% who do not.

She had kids but they were grown, so she conveniently forgot, I guess.

Dogs are better at identifying corona than some tests....not even kidding....

Dogs are better at detecting Covid-19 in humans than many fast lateral flow tests (LFTs), according to a French study which could see canines more widely deployed for mass virus screening in crowded places including airports.

The trial, conducted in March and April by France’s national veterinary school and the clinical research unit of Paris’s Necker-Cochin hospital, showed dogs were able to detect the presence of the virus with 97% accuracy.

The dogs were also 91% correct in identifying negative samples, the study showed. A recent review of 64 studies found LFTs correctly identify on average 72% of people infected with the virus who have symptoms, and 58% who do not.

And cats are just generally useless.

co-worker has been mildly sick all week and refuses to get tested. none of the kids are sick. Except last week when we got a message about a kid having a 106 fever! And the parent said “are there any fever sicknesses spreading right now? He was tested for flu, but it was negative.” Are you fucking kidding me? He hasn’t been back since though but he barely even comes to school anyway. The other center has one classroom open out of 8. At ours, we don’t have any staff or kids out with Covid at all. Just sitting here waiting for the worst… But so far…nothing has happened. Which is shocking considering our county case rate these past two weeks.

About a week and a half ago, my husband felt very bad--I had felt bad the day before but got over it quickly. He had fever and chills and stayed in the bed for a full day. He's had brain fog now for the past week. He lost his sense of taste and smell and he's got intense fatigue. So we pretty much figure he had Covid. His booster is scheduled for next week. I'm guessing it's okay for him to get the booster? What I read says that it should be fine. I just hope it doesn't make him sick again. He's really been through it.

About a week and a half ago, my husband felt very bad--I had felt bad the day before but got over it quickly. He had fever and chills and stayed in the bed for a full day. He's had brain fog now for the past week. He lost his sense of taste and smell and he's got intense fatigue. So we pretty much figure he had Covid. His booster is scheduled for next week. I'm guessing it's okay for him to get the booster? What I read says that it should be fine. I just hope it doesn't make him sick again. He's really been through it.

The guidelines here are that it's ok to get your booster "after symptoms are gone". You'll have to decide what that means in the context of the lingering symptoms like lost of taste/smell, fatigue and brain fog. I'd think it's ok.

Back