Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

View attachment 125914

My father sent me this picture from Big Y in Hadley MA this morning.

He claims the empty shelves are being caused by a tuckers strike over a jab mandate that starts today.

I don't know how much I believe him, but who knows. If any such strike was going on he would know.

I live in California (where, from what I hear, all possible problems are as bad as they can possibly be), but I was just at both a grocery store and Target and they both had tons of stuff in the coolers with the occasional empty spot.

Coastal elite alert!

Actual footage of me on the way to the store:

iu

And now it’s hitting our center. Multiple subs and teachers have tested positive over the last week. And they’ve gotten rid of basically every precaution. They won’t close classrooms down anymore and just say kids should be tested, but it isn’t required. My girlfriend was exposed by two different people two different days last week. But so far we still have no symptoms at all and neither one of us have been positive. We’re in the clear still for now…somehow

Breaking: Biden to roll back vaccination and testing mandates targeted at businesses after SCOTUS struck it down.

It appears he's given up and will live it to the private sector rather than fighting the conservative court who made a reason up to strike down the mandate.

Great, now I gotta stop eating cuy?! This fascism will not stand

When we get to the food chapter in our textbook, I love the look on my students' faces when I show them that guinea pigs only exist because people in South America bred them as food.

I've never had it, but I did each carpincho (capybara) when it was served to me a few times in northern Argentina.

Last edited:
When we get to the food chapter in our textbook, I love the look on my students' faces when I show them that guinea pigs only exist because people in South American bred them as food.

I've never had it, but I did each carpincho (capybara) when it was served to me a few times in northern Argentina.
I tried it once and enjoyed it, but came down with a pretty crummy gastrointestinal infection the next day, so kinda hard to fully associate it with a positive experience. Who knows what it really came from though. Probably something else.

What is? Paywalls being removed from potentially life altering content?

*click*

Nope. That's not it.

I'm sorry. That appears to be great news.
Sorry, it was readable in full via Apple News last night but seems to be paywalled thru WaPo for no reason.

The upshot is that 2 doses is safe for kids under 5. There’s a lack of immune response in ages 2-5 that will probably require a 3rd shot, but before you can get a third shot, you need the first two, so…why not start getting that rolled out?

Huge news for families if this plays out. The most recent updates I had seen before this were that we might be well into summer before it might be available.

Last edited:
😯
Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 (Variant Delta) from Pet Hamsters to Humans and Onward Human Propagation of the Adapted Strain: A Case Study
Well, we think that Omicron mutated in rat populations and then reinfected humans, so this shouldn't be too surprising. This virus, y'all...
When we get to the food chapter in our textbook, I love the look on my students' faces when I show them that guinea pigs only exist because people in South America bred them as food.

I've eaten nutria before and that's the closest I've gotten to eating rodents.

Sorry, it was readable in full via Apple News last night but seems to be paywalled thru WaPo for no reason.

The upshot is that 2 doses is safe for kids under 5. There’s a lack of immune response in ages 2-5 that will probably require a 3rd shot, but before you can get a third shot, you need the first two, so…why not start getting that rolled out?

Huge news for families if this plays out. The most recent updates I had seen before this were that we might be well into summer before it might be available.

I thought the WaPo made all stories about Covid-19 public / not behind the paywall. Did they change this recently? Or does the paywall trigger after X amount of articles a month available for free.

No paywall for me when following the link on my Mac. And it's opening Chrome, not Apple News.

I thought the WaPo made all stories about Covid-19 public / not behind the paywall. Did they change this recently? Or does the paywall trigger after X amount of articles a month available for free.

No paywall for me when following the link on my Mac. And it's opening Chrome, not Apple News.
I get paywalled. I'm on a PC and I'm using Chrome. It could be due to the number of free articles I no longer have.

Not sure what triggers it, but I pasted in the direct link here. Sent my wife the News link last night and it paywalled her on her phone instead of opening the News app too.

Who cares -- get these needles in these babies!!!!

WHAT IS THIS HOT GARBAGE???

So, I had to go to the study and read the methods y'all, because bad science is my kryptonite.

After screening based on the title, 1,048 papers remained. These papers were manually screened by answering two questions: 1. Does the study measure the effect of lockdowns on mortality? 2. Does the study use an empirical ex post difference-in-difference approach (see eligibility criteria below)? Studies to which we could not answer “yes” to both questions were excluded. When in doubt, we made the assessment based on reading the full paper, and in some cases, we consulted with colleagues.11

We distinguish between two methods used to establish a relationship (or lack thereof) between mortality rates and lockdown policies. The first uses registered cross-sectional mortality data. These are ex post studies. The second method uses simulated data on mortality and infection rates. 15 These are ex ante studies. We include all studies using a counterfactual difference-in-difference approach from the former group but disregard all ex ante studies, as the results from these studies are determined by model assumptions and calibrations. Our limitation to studies using a “counterfactual difference-in-difference approach” means that we exclude all studies where the counterfactual is based on forecasting (such as a SIR-model) rather than derived from a difference-in-difference approach. This excludes studies like Duchemin et al. (2020) and Matzinger and Skinner (2020). We also exclude all studies based on interrupted time series designs that simply compare the situation before and after lockdown, as the effect of lockdowns in these studies might contain time-dependent shifts, such as seasonality. This excludes studies like Bakolis et al. (2021) and Siedner et al. (2020).

Given our criteria, we exclude the much-cited paper by Flaxman et al. (2020), which claimed that lockdowns saved three million lives in Europe. Flaxman et al. assume that the pandemic would follow an epidemiological curve unless countries locked down. However, this assumption means that the only interpretation possible for the empirical results is that lockdowns are the only thing that matters, even if other factors like season, behavior etc. caused the observed change in the reproduction rate, Rt. Flaxman et al. are aware of this and state that “our parametric form of Rt assumes that changes in Rt are an immediate response to interventions rather than gradual changes in behavior.” Flaxman et al. illustrate how problematic it is to force data to fit a certain model if you want to infer the effect of lockdowns on COVID-19 mortality.

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/f...ffects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

^^ So basically, they had a ton of papers. They weeded out a ton of papers. And they also chose not to use papers that assumed the virus would have spread parabolically among a population because somehow SOMEHOW short term lockdowns which were only supposed to happen for a couple of months, can somehow be influenced by seasonality and gradual human behavior changes due to living in a pandemic. Sure, let's weed out all the papers that "simply compare the situation before and after lockdown" because those are BS due to "time dependent shifts like seasonality". So we can't look at these papers because people behave differently in winter than they do in spring/summer is what they are saying. We cannot just take observational measurements and interpolate from there. We can't take Asian countries that opted for lockdowns and look at mortality rates compared to the West, because SUMMER IS DIFFERENT THAN WINTER. Instead, we are going to take a ton of BS postulation, thus the inclusion of "simulated data on mortality and infection rates. So instead of using REAL data on actual mortality rates of countries that locked down vs no because of seasons, they are going to use studies with simulated data. I don't know if I can read anymore and I'm only on page 9.

I swear this was funded by corporate America to justify keeping people in unsafe working conditions. That's the only thing I see this study being good for.

Back