Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My father sent me this:

He really pushed the fact that it's peer reviewed and proven to me. Yet one look at the articles source and I already know it's complete bull shit before opening the link. And sure enough when I did there. is no evidence that it this study was peer reviewed, just that they said it was.

So I replied to him with this:

1642629356416.png

I
My father sent me this:

He really pushed the fact that it's peer reviewed and proven to me. Yet one look at the articles source and I already know it's complete bull shit before opening the link. And sure enough when I did there. is no evidence that it this study was peer reviewed, just that they said it was.

So I replied to him with this:

View attachment 125631
I'd repöy with: you Know what has been proven to be a really good pre-emptive measure by many peer-record studies: vaccination

I didn't know the dose of mRNA in the Pfizer and Moderna shots were not the same. The expressed antigen (S) is identical in both vaccines - it's the original SARS-COV-2 sequence published in January 2020. I thought the main differences were slight variations in the 5' and 3' untranslated regions of the mRNA and the composition of the lipid delivery vehicle.

I learned from the article above that Moderna shots contain 100 micrograms of mRNA while Pfizer contains 30 micrograms. That alone likely explains the generally greater short-term side effects people seem to experience with Moderna (at least anecdotally). According to the article, it seems there was a slight advantage to getting Moderna during 2020 as well.

I know the Moderna booster is a 1/2 shot while Pfizer gives a full shot for the booster. Given the above, it seems the Moderna 1/2 shot actually still has more mRNA than the Pfizer full shot (50 vs 30 micrograms).

Anyway, interesting.

Just got back from betting my booster.

My first two doses last year were Pfizer. My booster was Moderna.

The nurse who gave me the booster said she heard Pfizer, Pfizer Moderna is best combination for long term prevention.

Just got back from betting my booster.

My first two doses last year were Pfizer. My booster was Moderna.

The nurse who gave me the booster said she heard Pfizer, Pfizer Moderna is best combination for long term prevention.

iu

(Although when I was getting my 3rd shot I was thinking more of this:)

ill-be-a-living-god-living-god.gif

One of my wife's coworkers came into work on Tuesday with COVID symptoms after spending the weekend with his COVID positive son... He then of course tested positive, so now we're just waiting to see if my wife caught it. My office supplied me with an at home tester device thingy that we use whenever we're in doubt, so that's handy, but man, I really wish people would think and take this more seriously.

Yes, Omicron is less severe, but one of their coworkers is pregnant, two of them are elderly, and now everyone they come into contact with is possibly exposed as well. All of this is preventable if you just do what you're supposed to do...

FINALLY a little good news.

The world now has a new COVID-19 vaccine in its arsenal, and at a fraction of the cost per dose.

Protein subunit vaccines have an advantage over mRNA vaccines in that they can be readily produced using well-established recombinant DNA technology that is relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to scale up. A similar protein recombinant technology that’s been around for 40 years has been used for the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine, which is available for use in 170 countries, and the recombinant hepatitis B vaccine.

This vaccine can be produced at a much larger scale because appropriate manufacturing facilities are already available. Also key to global access is that CORBEVAX can be stored in a regular refrigerator. Therefore, it is possible to produce millions of doses rapidly and distribute them relatively easily. In comparison, producing mRNA vaccines is more expensive and complicated because they are based on newer technologies, rely on highly skilled workers and often require ultralow temperatures for storage and transport.

Another major difference is that the CORBEVAX vaccine was developed with global vaccine access in mind. The goal was to make a low-cost, easy-to-produce and -transport vaccine using a well-tested and safe method. Key to this, the researchers were not concerned with intellectual property or financial benefit. The vaccine was produced without significant public funding; the US$7 million needed for development was provided by philanthropists.

YES!!! Now let's get into production.

Oh Canada
that stupidity was already sorted. canada post back tracked on that policy yesterday.

this kind of shit has been happening in schools this whole time though. teachers and kids are forced to use the issued medical masks. great because it prevents the use of useless tissue masks. my daughter’s school even suspends kids that wear theirs below the nose. but nobody could use n95s (though my local school board back tracked on that with the return this week - but those are still not supplied by the government, you have to buy your own).

edit: typos

Last edited:
that stupidity was already sorted. canada post back tracked on that policy yesterday.

this kind of shit has been happening in schools this whole time though. teachers and kids are forces to use the issued medical masks. great because it prevents the use of useless this tissue masks. my daughter’s school even suspends kids that wear their below the nose. but nobody could use n95s (though my local school board back tracked on that with the return this week - but those are still not supplied by the government, you have to buy your own).
My office is still requiring any on-site personnel to use company-provided surgical masks. Good that they're at least ensuring a minimum standard for protection and regular replacement, but you also aren't allowed to exceed the minimum? Not great.

Same goes for visiting my doctor.

They make you replace your mask with one they provide upon entering. Doesn't matter if you just put a fresh N95 mask on, they make you replace it at the door with a new tissue mask.

They say it's so they ensure everyone has a new and clean mask.

1642860732754.jpeg

My father sent me this picture from Big Y in Hadley MA this morning.

He claims the empty shelves are being caused by a tuckers strike over a jab mandate that starts today.

I don't know how much I believe him, but who knows. If any such strike was going on he would know.

View attachment 125914

My father sent me this picture from Big Y in Hadley MA this morning.

He claims the empty shelves are being caused by a tuckers strike over a jab mandate that starts today.

I don't know how much I believe him, but who knows. If any such strike was going on he would know.

Did he take that photo himself?

Frankly, it looks like a cooler that was emptied because it's broken. Even if people made a run at the grocery store, there would still be some less desirable products left behind. Without further confirmation, my first reaction is that this picture is co-opted for a fake story.

Did he take that photo himself?

Frankly, it looks like a cooler that was emptied because it's broken. Even if people made a run at the grocery store, there would still be some less desirable products left behind. Without further confirmation, my first reaction is that this picture is co-opted for a fake story.

Says he took the photo himself. And yeah, the coolers being broken was my first thought. Followed by supply chain issues due to people out sick.

Says he took the photo himself. And yeah, the coolers being broken was my first thought. Followed by supply chain issues due to people out sick.

He's right that truckers are upset about the new mandate. It's happening here too (a new mandate regarding a cross-border vaccine requirement was put in place for truckers last week). There's been a lot of talk about the possibility of empty shelves. Articles even have pictures of empty shelves, but if you read the captions you realize the photos come from a different time. We'll see. So far, there's no difference in stores here (other than the already existing problem with supply chains and random missing products).

He's right that truckers are upset about the new mandate. It's happening here too (a new mandate regarding a cross-border vaccine requirement was put in place for truckers last week). There's been a lot of talk about the possibility of empty shelves. Articles even have pictures of empty shelves, but if you read the captions you realize the photos come from a different time. We'll see. So far, there's no difference in stores here (other than the already existing problem with supply chains and random missing products).

Yeah, googling trucker strikes I did see that. Canadian truckers blocking the US border 3 days ago.

This mostly seems to be cross border issues. Most truckers are exempt from the mandate. Yet I'm seeing tons of articles about truckers up in arms and having truck parades in various states over said mandate.

The Aches and Pains I was feeling after having the Moderna booster have subsided. They lasted about 24 hours. I was still feeling just as bad when I went to bed last night but feel much better when I got up this morning.

I have a little bit of an earache today though in my left ear. I wonder if that is related. It's not persistent, but if I yawn ouchie.

Back