Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Not all students qualify for interpreters/note takers. There’s a wide spectrum of needs and there isn’t infinite resources.

Tons of our students can “pass” and it just makes their lives really hard. And clear masks fog up and much more uncomfortable.
Of course, duh. It was so ubiquitous in my education, I forgot what a bitch getting services is for the most part. In spite of literally being in the middle of an accessibility issue right now.

Now there are reports of a Delta Plus. How many more times is this thing going to mutate?
Actually, I was coming to post this. It's a pre-print paper, so it hasn't been peer reviewed yet, but they are talking about the lambda variant which is more transmissible than the delta variant and it looks like it's also more resistant to the vaccine. This is the variant that is ravaging South America right now--so....ya know.....not far from us (especially me in NOLA).

SARS-CoV-2 Lambda, a new variant of interest, is now spreading in some South American countries; however, its virological features and evolutionary trait remain unknown. Here we reveal that the spike protein of the Lambda variant is more infectious and it is attributed to the T76I and L452Q mutations. The RSYLTPGD246-253N mutation, a unique 7-amino-acid deletion mutation in the N-terminal domain of the Lambda spike protein, is responsible for evasion from neutralizing antibodies. Since the Lambda variant has dominantly spread according to the increasing frequency of the isolates harboring the RSYLTPGD246-253N mutation, our data suggest that the insertion of the RSYLTPGD246-253N mutation is closely associated with the massive infection spread of the Lambda variant in South America.

Actually, I was coming to post this. It's a pre-print paper, so it hasn't been peer reviewed yet, but they are talking about the lambda variant which is more transmissible than the delta variant and it looks like it's also more resistant to the vaccine. This is the variant that is ravaging South America right now--so....ya know.....not far from us (especially me in NOLA).

SARS-CoV-2 Lambda, a new variant of interest, is now spreading in some South American countries; however, its virological features and evolutionary trait remain unknown. Here we reveal that the spike protein of the Lambda variant is more infectious and it is attributed to the T76I and L452Q mutations. The RSYLTPGD246-253N mutation, a unique 7-amino-acid deletion mutation in the N-terminal domain of the Lambda spike protein, is responsible for evasion from neutralizing antibodies. Since the Lambda variant has dominantly spread according to the increasing frequency of the isolates harboring the RSYLTPGD246-253N mutation, our data suggest that the insertion of the RSYLTPGD246-253N mutation is closely associated with the massive infection spread of the Lambda variant in South America.
So is this the Delta Plus or an entirely different mutation?

I keep trying to tell y’all, it’s never going away. Deal with it.

You can live your life in eternal fear, or accept that it is a fact of life, get vaccinated and move on with living your life.

In related news:

Great response to Deblasio’s bullshit.

Edit, not sure why it's just showing the URL and not the page title or info banner.

But this article is about how a teacher in Arizona is suing over a school district implementation a mask mandate, which is in defiance of the governors ban on any such mandates. The teacher is expected to win the lawsuit because the governor trumps local law.

Last edited:
The GOP is now urging people to get vaccinated. But this push comes too little too late.

Why the change of heart by the GOP? Because the COVID / Delta surge is hitting Wall Street, thus impacting the riches bottom line.

But still, when asked if they would mandate a vaccine the answer is no. It goes against their parties principles. It's a matter of freedom and personal responsibility.

The late push for the vaccine also will hardly have any effect on Trump's base who largely objects getting the vaccine.

Mandating anything is a terrible idea. People have a right to be stupid we just need politicians to be responsible enough to advocate uptake for everyone regardless of beliefs.

Mandating anything is a terrible idea. People have a right to be stupid we just need politicians to be responsible enough to advocate uptake for everyone regardless of beliefs.
At what point does public health and safety supersede personal freedoms? Throughout life I've been required to get many vaccinations, for school and for US naturalization. I'm honestly a bit torn on this. I'm a big proponent of people making horrible decisions for themselves freely, but this specific decision affects more than just the individual. At what point is this freedom infringing on the safety and health of other people?

We mandate a ton of things. In Ontario you already need like ten vaccines to attend school. People also don't really have a right to be stupid when it endangers other people.

At what point does public health and safety supersede personal freedoms? Throughout life I've been required to get many vaccinations, for school and for US naturalization. I'm honestly a bit torn on this. I'm a big proponent of people making horrible decisions for themselves freely, but this specific decision affects more than just the individual. At what point is this freedom infringing on the safety and health of other people?

We mandate a ton of things. In Ontario you already need like ten vaccines to attend school. People also don't really have a right to be stupid when it endangers other people.

Does mandating really increase uptake or does it just harden already hardened attitudes against the thing. When does saying “you must” actually become counter intuitive to the thing you’re putting forward.

Are there consequences? For sure. Does it mean that you might not be allowed to access things? Absolutely. Do we have a right to force someone to be injected with a substance against their will? I’m not sure I can condone that.

Forgive me but isn’t the aim also to get a critical mass not 100% because thats not realistically achievable. Once you get that let’s focus on the third world and prevent mass mutations across entire populations.

Last edited:
Does mandating really increase uptake or does it just harden already hardened attitudes against the thing. When does saying “you must” actually become counter intuitive to the thing you’re putting forward.

Are the consequences? For sure. Does it mean that you might not be allowed to access things? Absolutely. Do we have a right to force someone to be injected with a substance against their will? I’m not sure I can condone that.

Forgive me but isn’t the aim also to get a critical mass not 100% because thats not realistically achievable. Once you get that let’s focus on the third world and prevent mass mutations across entire populations.
Many people can't/shouldn't because of medical reasons, like the drummer from Offspring for instance, his Doctor suggested he not get it because of an existing condition. Some other people claim the protected excuse of religion. So 100% is an impossibility. But aside from those exemptions, I HAD to get vaccines for school and residency in this country. How is this a different situation? I would argue this is much more important.

Putting my mind to it, there are so many ways we inconvenience ourselves and so many stipulations we submit ourselves to, partly for the sake of our safety and moreso for the safety of others. Seatbelts are a common example because you don't need one until you need one, but smoking restrictions/bans, littering/garbage/sanitation laws and standards, traffic laws and guidelines, fire code, security checks, car emissions standards, school-or-travel-mandated vaccinations, etc etc, those are all examples I can think of where it'd be easier to just not follow the rules or guidelines, but we do mainly because we're told to, as well as (and ultimately, even if we're only thinking of "not getting in trouble") for the sake of safety.

Now for the most part, all of those are things we were raised with and take at face value; I get that it's a completely different proposition to suddenly require an eight-point harness when operating a motor vehicle. But it boggles my mind that our daily lives are littered with mandates and stipulations we adhere to because of an overall understanding that we're all better off doing as such.

Back