Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I have all of the above. I’m just not a fear filled ninny scared of his own shadow. I make the decisions I feel are best for me and leave others to do the same for themselves. I also understand that it’s only for the last hundred years or so we have gotten as far removed as a species from death by common disease. Nature is reasserting itself and contrary to our hubris, we can’t outsmart it forever. You can deal with it or not, but that’s not ever going to change.

Here’s a secret for you, in case nobody has told you yet.

You’re going to die.

We all are and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Make peace with that and live your life the best you can. As others of a similar worldview as myself are fond of saying “Let go and let God.”
Yeah. I've been on the verge of blocking you for a while now, so, thanks for the nudge I guess? This cavalier "fuck it" attitude is precisely why we're still wrestling with this god damn thing and my patience for accepting it as some sort of alternative "opinion" or whatever the fuck has officially expired.

This is just me, and I would totally understand if people are still hesitant about going out and doing things, but 99.998% odds that you're good post-vaccine are more than enough for me. Fauci has said that he thinks enough folks are vaccinated to where we won't need another shutdown, so my plans are staying in place. The smart thing for venues to do would be to ask for proof of vaccination at the door/gate. That would clear any worries about these shows happening.

It sounds crass, but I imagine there's coming a time where we just can't keep accommodating people who simply refuse to vaccinate. It sucks, and harms otherwise innocent people, but what is the alternative? Putting our lives on hold 6 months out of the year for the foreseeable future? Don't think so.

Here's an article that's in preprint regarding breakthrough cases and covid illness burden:

the Survivor Corps group, a grassroots COVID-19 organization focused on patient support and research, posted a poll to its 169,900 members that asked about breakthrough cases, Long Covid, and hospitalizations. 1,949 people who self-report being fully vaccinated have responded to date. While robust data are needed in a larger, unbiased sample to extrapolate rates to the population, we analyzed the results of this public poll to determine what people were reporting regarding Long Covid after breakthrough infection and to prompt discussion of how breakthrough cases are measured. The poll was posted in the Survivor Corps Facebook group (∼169,900 members). Of the 1,949 participants who responded to the poll, 44 reported a symptomatic breakthrough case and 24 of those reported that the case led to symptoms of Long Covid. 1 of these 24 cases was reported to have led to hospitalization in addition to Long Covid.

So their initial numbers are:
Breakthrough infections that caused symptoms: 44/1949 = 2.3% of all vaccinated people in this cohort
Breakthrough infections that caused hospitalization: 24/1949 = 1.2% of all vaccinated people in this cohort

If you consider the risk of getting symptoms and being hospitalized without the vaccine, the preliminary data that is coming in suggests that being vaccinated doesn't completely eliminate the risk of getting sick, but it sure does make your risk go down a huge amount. This thing isn't going away and we will have to learn to live with it, but we don't have to get sick en masse. Most of the severe illness is contained to those that are unvaccinated.

re: Risk Behaviors and the fact that we are all going to die
Every day you are at risk of some sort of anomaly, whether it be winning the lottery, coming down with a rare illness, or freak accidents. No one is safe. But the primary rule of statistics is that while nothing is impossible, there are a lot of things out there that are highly unlikely. But someone always wins the lottery and someone else gets hurt in a spectacularly rare event or accident, so it does happen. The question that we need to ask ourselves is whether or not we think the risk of something should control our actions. For instance, my dad has a bad heart and a lot of people on my dad's side of the family have bad hearts and have died relatively young (in their 50's) so I believe my risk for heart disease to be enough of a risk for me that I go to the gym and watch what I eat. So the risk of heart disease, in my perception, is enough of a threat for me to take actions to try to offset this outcome. I realize that a bad heart is a bad heart, but my dad is alive and his little brother is dead because my dad took care of himself. My uncle did not and died at 53.

So now, let's consider that since the risk of having an adverse event that causes severe morbidity or mortality from a vaccine. We've previously established that that risk is around 4-6 events per one million people. However, there's some science suggesting that you're at around a 20% risk of catching Covid from someone who is Covid positive. That means that for ever person that you encounter with Covid, your risk of getting Covid from that person, and depending on how long you hang out with that person, the risk of getting Covid just goes up. So the risk of getting Covid is very large and the risk of an adverse vaccine reaction is small. On top of that, the hospitalizations prior to the vaccine suggest that about 10% of all Covid cases were being hospitalized. The vaccine shrinks that risk dramatically. So the risk of adverse events for the vaccine are incredibly small but the benefit of getting it puts you in a lot less risk. Just looking at the numbers, the logical answer is to get vaccinated.

This is just me, and I would totally understand if people are still hesitant about going out and doing things, but 99.998% odds that you're good post-vaccine are more than enough for me. Fauci has said that he thinks enough folks are vaccinated to where we won't need another shutdown, so my plans are staying in place. The smart thing for venues to do would be to ask for proof of vaccination at the door/gate. That would clear any worries about these shows happening.

It sounds crass, but I imagine there's coming a time where we just can't keep accommodating people who simply refuse to vaccinate. It sucks, and harms otherwise innocent people, but what is the alternative? Putting our lives on hold 6 months out of the year for the foreseeable future? Don't think so.
Yeah, I mostly agree here. I've got plans to go see Kevin Morby and Hamilton Leithauser in Vermont in November, and despite it being held in the most vaccinated state in the country, I'm still doubting we'll actually go given this delta variant's current trajectory. I messaged the venue asking if they'd be requiring proof of vaccination going forward and heard nothing. If we didn't have a 3-year-old at home that can't be vaccinated yet, we'd likely adopt a more positive and outgoing outlook on our lives, but that's not where we are yet.

Yeah, I mostly agree here. I've got plans to go see Kevin Morby and Hamilton Leithauser in Vermont in November, and despite it being held in the most vaccinated state in the country, I'm still doubting we'll actually go given this delta variant's current trajectory. I messaged the venue asking if they'd be requiring proof of vaccination going forward and heard nothing. If we didn't have a 3-year-old at home that can't be vaccinated yet, we'd likely adopt a more positive and outgoing outlook on our lives, but that's not where we are yet.
Yeah, understandable, it's a whole nother thing if you're living with someone who simply can't get vaccinated. Odds of danger are still extremely low, but I still don't blame any individuals who want to be cautious at this point. I'm hoping delta causes enough of an uptick in vaccines to where we reach a spot where worries can be softened for more people. Or at least more data comes out that really hammers home how safe one really is with a vaccine.

Yeah, understandable, it's a whole nother thing if you're living with someone who simply can't get vaccinated. Odds of danger are still extremely low, but I still don't blame any individuals who want to be cautious at this point. I'm hoping delta causes enough of an uptick in vaccines to where we reach a spot where worries can be softened for more people. Or at least more data comes out that really hammers home how safe one really is with a vaccine.
I hope so too. There is still a fair bit of ill-informed vaccine fear out there though. Hell, my wife's mother who is an RN just got her first dose last week after spouting off all this time about how scared she was of it and how no one knows if it's safe or not. Of course, they listen to nothing but Fox News in their home, so I'm sure that did nothing to foster any common sense.

I'm in a super weird place where I don't interact with anyone who is not vaccinated on a personal level, and basically everyone at my work is required to be vaccinated. What the things I NEED to do is not particularly clear. Obviously I can be super cautious and that would solve the problem, but where the line is of "good enough" is completely lost to me.

The local news had a story this morning about how first it was with the airlines, and now it's happening at restaurants. Unruly customers and thin patience causing waitresses to walk out mid shift.

According to the latest poll out this past weekend, customer satisfaction at restaurants are at an all time low.

46% of customers complained about restaurants being "short staffed".
66% of customers were concerned over increased costs.

Waitresses are getting getting screwed on tips over people's anger over the above and how they say their experience was not as good as pre covid. Slow service and more expensive.

And people getting frustrated aren't just complaining, they are getting unruly. Name calling, threatening staff and what not. A local business owner told a pair of guys to leave after they threatened one of waitresses last month only to have those guys then break in the back and start trashing the kitchen.

Add the return of mask mandates when not eating, (such as when ordering or walking around the restaurant) and short fuses are igniting full TNT.

The business owner who had the two guys trash her kitchen said, "you think you are frustrated by us being short staff, how about think about us and how frustrated we and our staff must be as well. It's not just you. We are doing everything we can to hire help, but there are not enough people applying and current workers are quitting at a record pace and leaving the industry."

The local news had a story this morning about how first it was with the airlines, and now it's happening at restaurants. Unruly customers and thin patience causing waitresses to walk out mid shift.

According to the latest poll out this past weekend, customer satisfaction at restaurants are at an all time low.

Waitresses are getting getting screwed on tips over people's anger over the above and how they say their experience was not as good as pre covid. Slow service and more expensive.

And people getting frustrated aren't just complaining, they are getting unruly. Name calling, threatening staff and what not. A local business owner told a pair of guys to leave after they threatened one of waitresses last month only to have those guys then break in the back and start trashing the kitchen.

Add the return of mask mandates when not eating, (such as when ordering or walking around the restaurant) and short fuses are igniting full TNT.

The business owner who had the two guys trash her kitchen said, "you think you are frustrated by us being short staff, how about think about us and how frustrated we and our staff must be as well. It's not just you. We are doing everything we can to hire help, but there are not enough people applying and current workers are quitting at a record pace and leaving the industry."
Almost every restaurant/bar around here is operating on a greatly reduced schedule and many have to close unexpectedly day to day due to staffing issues. Totally makes sense that it's escalating. I just don't see how you go to a headspace where you blame (and attack?!) the place itself, or the people that ARE there trying to serve you. That's just straight up assholery.

I've worked in restaurants and food service. They don't get paid enough to deal with this BS. No amount of tips are going to change this. I have heard that many restaurants are raising wages to attract workers, and they can't, because $12/hour still isn't a living wage.

The people attacking restaurant workers have obviously never been restaurant workers.

A Church in Maine has brought a lawsuit on to block the state from enforcing new, or reinstating any Covid restrictions in the wake of Delta and cases surging.

What is weird and unique about this case was it attempted to block restrictions that don't currently exist or will be going into effect.

The case made it all the way to the SCOTUS where they declined to take the case on.

A Church in Maine has brought a lawsuit on to block the state from enforcing new, or reinstating any Covid restrictions in the wake of Delta and cases surging.

What is weird and unique about this case was it attempted to block restrictions that don't currently exist or will be going into effect.

The case made it all the way to the SCOTUS where they declined to take the case on.
Let me guess: Calvary Chapel? They tried this last year too. Guy is a nutcase and mostly just doing it for the publicity. Same place also hosted Eric Trump during the campaign. It’s a borderline cult.

Let me guess: Calvary Chapel? They tried this last year too. Guy is a nutcase and mostly just doing it for the publicity. Same place also hosted Eric Trump during the campaign. It’s a borderline cult.

You indeed look to be correct. Calvary Chapel.

Not sure how true this is but given it's LiveNation I am unfortunately inclined to believe it.

Why or why does clicking on the pictures in the tweets to open them open up twitter.

The replies were clearly visible. Rene is pissing me off.

1628023127625.png

It's not about not living your life / living in fear. It's about the information being withheld so you can't make an informed decision.

Back