Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

"This institution is a sham, and we should adjourn and shut this place down," Roy said theatrically as Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene gave him a standing ovation.

This statement comes after masks are once again required on the house floor.

Basically, with Delta, if you catch it, you have the same virus load whether you are vaccinated or not. The vaccination has no effect as reducing the spread, thus the mask guidance has been updated again.

A vaccine will still make it less likely you will catch COVID, but if you do catch it, you are just as likely to spread it to other people.

I am much more skeptical that any sort of national lockdown will be able to happen again. I believe you are much more likely to see many more states take the route that South Dakota did and never enforce any sort of lockdown orders. To put it bluntly, the people in a great many areas of this country just will not have that shit again. To the point that even if lockdown orders are given, they will be widely resisted (sometimes violently so) and/or ignored.

This has moved from being a pandemic to endemic. It’s never going away and it will be with us always. But before you go laying the blame on people, you should understand that this was always going to be how it went. I wasn’t the only one who called this from the very beginning.
It is still a pandemic. It's still spreading across continents in waves. Endemic means it belongs to a specific group or region, though the US definitely seems to be working to make that the case for us. Sure, it very likely will exist long-term, like influenzas, and hopefully with better vaccination rates we'll get mortality numbers closer to those, but we aren't there yet.

----

If people would mask up indoors and vaccinate where possible, we could function pretty normally. It's absurd that people (including government) have been pretending this was basically over when there isn't even a vaccine available for almost 50 million citizens.

It is still a pandemic. It's still spreading across continents in waves. Endemic means it belongs to a specific group or region, though the US definitely seems to be working to make that the case for us. Sure, it very likely will exist long-term, like influenzas, and hopefully with better vaccination rates we'll get mortality numbers closer to those, but we aren't there yet.

----

If people would mask up indoors and vaccinate where possible, we could function pretty normally. It's absurd that people (including government) have been pretending this was basically over when there isn't even a vaccine available for almost 50 million citizens.
I’m suing the term just as others are with regards to it being endemic in humans. It’s not ever going away. I’m not even the first/only one here to say that. The sooner folks accept that, the sooner they can accept the reality of life moving forward.

The crisis is over, the rest of our lives have begun.

“Four other coronaviruses are endemic in humans and are responsible for a significant fraction of colds.” BostonGlobe.com, 18 July 2021

The crisis is over, the rest of our lives have begun.

“Four other coronaviruses are endemic in humans and are responsible for a significant fraction of colds.” BostonGlobe.com, 18 July 2021

To say this is to say fuck it, we're just going to go ahead and accept that being anti-science is just as good as demonstrable facts and science as it is understood, and that we're just going to be ok with 52k weekly infections and 2000-5000 weekly deaths. Just, fuck it, your under 12 year old kids are just going to have to roll the dice, good luck. We can't be bothered to pay attention to the science and we're just going to keep walking off this cliff.

It's incredibly cavalier and cynical and hopeless.

I can only conclude that you don't have school age children or care about anyone in a high risk group.

To say this is to say fuck it, we're just going to go ahead and accept that being anti-science is just as good as demonstrable facts and science as it is understood, and that we're just going to be ok with 52k weekly infections and 2000-5000 weekly deaths. Just, fuck it, your under 12 year old kids are just going to have to roll the dice, good luck. We can't be bothered to pay attention to the science and we're just going to keep walking off this cliff.

It's incredibly cavalier and cynical and hopeless.

I can only conclude that you don't have school age children or care about anyone in a high risk group.

I have all of the above. I’m just not a fear filled ninny scared of his own shadow. I make the decisions I feel are best for me and leave others to do the same for themselves. I also understand that it’s only for the last hundred years or so we have gotten as far removed as a species from death by common disease. Nature is reasserting itself and contrary to our hubris, we can’t outsmart it forever. You can deal with it or not, but that’s not ever going to change.

Here’s a secret for you, in case nobody has told you yet.

You’re going to die.

We all are and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Make peace with that and live your life the best you can. As others of a similar worldview as myself are fond of saying “Let go and let God.”

Last edited:
Everyone knows they're going to die. The point is not to have to die before you need to. That's why we have, oh, any laws whatsoever.
Much to the relief of most politicians, I am not involved in the decision of who “needs” to die. None of us really are.

As far as your other point, I’d venture that you have a gross misunderstanding of what the purpose is of 99.9% of the laws on the books. They’ve got not a damn thing to do with your safety.

Much to the relief of most politicians, I am not involved in the decision of who “needs” to die. None of us really are.

As far as your other point, I’d venture that you have a gross misunderstanding of what the purpose is of 99.9% of the laws on the books. They’ve got not a damn thing to do with your safety.
The basis of society is people agreeing not to kill each other. No, most laws nowadays don't have to do with my safety. All of those came after people saying, "I won't kill you if you won't kill me" and then carrying that forward several more steps. If we're not agreeing to take care of each other, what is the point?

The basis of society is people agreeing not to kill each other. No, most laws nowadays don't have to do with my safety. All of those came after people saying, "I won't kill you if you won't kill me" and then carrying that forward several more steps. If we're not agreeing to take care of each other, what is the point?
The problem arises when your definition of “taking care of each other” become indistinguishable to me from “controlling you with the violence of the state because I don’t like the choices you make” which is how the vast majority of the shit y’all all talk about reads to me. But in that note, I think we’re venturing into that other thread’s territory.

I have all of the above. I’m just not a fear filled ninny scared of his own shadow. I make the decisions I feel are best for me and leave others to do the same for themselves. I also understand that it’s only for the last hundred years or so we have gotten as far removed as a species from death by common disease. Nature is reasserting itself and contrary to our hubris, we can’t outsmart it forever. You can deal with it or not, but that’s not ever going to change.

But you wear seatbelts, live in a home that's passed safety inspections, but medicine and food from reputable sources and manufacturers that are inspected and regulated. Clearly there are circumstances where you go the extra step and have decided 'well no reason to tempt fate'. I assume you go to the Dr if you have an infection.

I'm glad you don't live in fear of killing a kid or someone you know that can't be vaccinated, but that doesn't mean you're not putting them at risk whether or not you personally fear it. How awesome for grandma or the CVS cashier's 8-year-old that you have faced your mortality and are aware that you can't fool mother nature, so why bother fighting it so hard, eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die, and if it takes someone else, well, at least you didn't have to care about knowing them personally.

The unafraid: a fratboy driving recklessly on the highway, weaving through cars at 30 over the limit, bemoaning how people get so scared for no reason, can't they see he's got it under control and is a good driver?

But you wear seatbelts, live in a home that's passed safety inspections, but medicine and food from reputable sources and manufacturers that are inspected and regulated. Clearly there are circumstances where you go the extra step and have decided 'well no reason to tempt fate'. I assume you go to the Dr if you have an infection.

I'm glad you don't live in fear of killing a kid or someone you know that can't be vaccinated, but that doesn't mean you're not putting them at risk whether or not you personally fear it. How awesome for grandma or the CVS cashier's 8-year-old that you have faced your mortality and are aware that you can't fool mother nature, so why bother fighting it so hard, eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die, and if it takes someone else, well, at least you didn't have to care about knowing them personally.

The unafraid: a fratboy driving recklessly on the highway, weaving through cars at 30 over the limit, bemoaning how people get so scared for no reason, can't they see he's got it under control and is a good driver?
You’re making a lot of assumptions there that aren’t necessarily true there, Bucko.

You might want to start at the beginning and reassess what you actually know and what you’re assuming.

I mean, sure, I don't know anything about your use of seatbelts/home/medicine and food or medical choices, but I think if these things do not apply to you in some generalized way, you're kind of out on the fringe of american society anyway. If the FDA isn't OK'ing your food and drugs -- and true, maybe you don't do traditional medicine or store-bought food, sure -- but this automatically places you on the margins. I concede that my assumptions may be wholly incorrect; I'm not trying to use you personally as an example, just trying to pick the places where the government regulates safety in a way that intersects with most people's lives (in a mostly transparent manner).

Last edited:

It’s not worth arguing with him. He keeps doing this: comes into the thread, makes a few reasonable posts, then says something shitty and very dumb.

Basically, with Delta, if you catch it, you have the same virus load whether you are vaccinated or not. The vaccination has no effect as reducing the spread, thus the mask guidance has been updated again.

A vaccine will still make it less likely you will catch COVID, but if you do catch it, you are just as likely to spread it to other people.
The messaging here is bad. You can pass it on if you get a breakthrough infection, which is still incredibly rare.

Masks are a half measure (even if they work). Vaccine mandates are the only thing that is going to stop this.

----

The problem is that 'masking up indoors' is not functioning normally. Anything involving eating, drinking, singing, even movie going is lessened. And for me teaching SUUUUUCKS in masks. Specifically I teach at a school that has a large deaf population, and it's EXTREMELY detrimental to that student population which relies on lip reading. It's not a viable long term solution.

The problem is that 'masking up indoors' is not functioning normally. Anything involving eating, drinking, singing, even movie going is lessened. And for me teaching SUUUUUCKS in masks. Specifically I teach at a school that has a large deaf population, and it's EXTREMELY detrimental to that student population which relies on lip reading. It's not a viable long term solution.
Yes, I said "pretty normally" which isn't 100%, and mask *and vaccinate*, which would hopefully allow for less masking in scenarios like teaching. Point being that if businesses want to stay open at capacity and have a living workforce available, masks are the way to go at stores and such. Right now we have a variant as contagious as chicken pox, concessions need to be made.

But out of curiosity, why don't you have interpreters? I know you're at the college level, but I went to a deaf magnet middle and high school. Interpreters were a regular part of my educational experience.

Yes, I said "pretty normally" which isn't 100%, and mask *and vaccinate*, which would hopefully allow for less masking in scenarios like teaching. Point being that if businesses want to stay open at capacity and have a living workforce available, masks are the way to go at stores and such. Right now we have a variant as contagious as chicken pox, concessions need to be made.

But out of curiosity, why don't you have interpreters? I know you're at the college level, but I went to a deaf magnet middle and high school. Interpreters were a regular part of my educational experience.
Not all students qualify for interpreters/note takers. There’s a wide spectrum of needs and there isn’t infinite resources.

Tons of our students can “pass” and it just makes their lives really hard. And clear masks fog up and much more uncomfortable.

go see your concerts/events now, because with Delta spreading easier and hitting harder, I wouldn't be surprised if another nationwide shutdown is coming...
At this point, we are past the point of shutdowns being effective. If this were a month or two ago, shutdowns could have helped us out, but the delta variant is so contagious and so prevalent that epidemiologically speaking, the cat is already out of the bag.
The messaging here is bad. You can pass it on if you get a breakthrough infection, which is still incredibly rare.

Masks are a half measure (even if they work). Vaccine mandates are the only thing that is going to stop this.
Acutally, breakthrough infections are becoming very common. It's just rare that you will get really bad symptoms if you have the vaccine. There was a story over the weekend of a woman who died after getting vaccinated and then contracting Covid, but she had some other risk factors/comorbid conditions.

But this sort of outcome is not the norm. However, you can still get Covid and if you have a detectible viral load, you can spread it.
Not all students qualify for interpreters/note takers. There’s a wide spectrum of needs and there isn’t infinite resources.

Tons of our students can “pass” and it just makes their lives really hard. And clear masks fog up and much more uncomfortable.
As a special needs parent, can confirm.

Back