Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

There is a large part of the population in rural america who still has not been vaccinated. Nor plan to be vaccinated.
So do the rest of us have to be restricted forever to compensate a minority? Not trying to be crass but literally what are we supposed to do? They don't want it. The CDC is not doing themselves any favors with their current messaging.

So do the rest of us have to be restricted forever to compensate a minority? Not trying to be crass but literally what are we supposed to do? They don't want it. The CDC is not doing themselves any favors with their current messaging.
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the new guidance for sure, especially when it comes to kids not yet eligible, but you're right - what can you do for the people that refuse to protect themselves at this point, and will be dishonest about it? There are no good solutions. 😕

It is going to be a strange and confusing transition time for the next month or so, I think.

my sympathies lie only with the small part of the population that either cannot get the vaccine due a health condition, or those that find the vaccine is not effective for them because they are immunosuppressed and their body won't create the blueprint.

I am concerned for them, and hope they 1) surround themselves with people who aren't selfish dicks and 2) can work/live in a safe environment.

otherwise, yep. the vaccine is available. the distancing/masking knowledge for the unvaccinated is available. we are hitting a willingness plateau and time won't change that to reflect the desired %.

Was this already shared here?

Explains a lot of the confusion and mixed messaging about masks through 2020, and makes a strong argument for wearing masks during flu seasons going forward.

Was this already shared here?

Explains a lot of the confusion and mixed messaging about masks through 2020, and makes a strong argument for wearing masks during flu seasons going forward.
I've been reading a lot about the aerosol v droplet debate and, yep, we got it so wrong (and are continuing to do so).

Not forever, but maybe until the whole population is eligible for vaccination?
my sympathies lie only with the small part of the population that either cannot get the vaccine due a health condition, or those that find the vaccine is not effective for them because they are immunosuppressed and their body won't create the blueprint.

I am concerned for them, and hope they 1) surround themselves with people who aren't selfish dicks and 2) can work/live in a safe environment.

otherwise, yep. the vaccine is available. the distancing/masking knowledge for the unvaccinated is available. we are hitting a willingness plateau and time won't change that to reflect the desired %.
I know it feels this way in some places, but I just got my second dose Friday. I won't be fully vaccinated for 2 weeks, and I signed up for an appointment the day I was eligible. I know vaccines are easy to get in many places (moreso in places with low interest), but not everywhere, and many of the most vulnerable communities have the least access. It is too early to claim that everyone who wants it has it by now. A lot of younger people weren't even eligible until very recently. And no one under 16 is eligible yet. Children make up 20% of new cases (of course their proportion will naturally increase as adults are vaccinated).

The new CDC guidelines prioritize privileged folks and anti-maskers.

Not forever, but maybe until the whole population is eligible for vaccination?

I know it feels this way in some places, but I just got my second dose Friday. I won't be fully vaccinated for 2 weeks, and I signed up for an appointment the day I was eligible. I know vaccines are easy to get in many places (moreso in places with low interest), but not everywhere, and many of the most vulnerable communities have the least access. It is too early to claim that everyone who wants it has it by now. A lot of younger people weren't even eligible until very recently. And no one under 16 is eligible yet. Children make up 20% of new cases (of course their proportion will naturally increase as adults are vaccinated).

The new CDC guidelines prioritize privileged folks and anti-maskers.
yes, agreed. I wasn't necessarily positing that I agree with the moves being made this second, and I'm still wearing masks indoors in public- for the sake of employees comfort and to help reinforce the idea for the gen pop.

I mean that this plateau is approaching, and, when that time comes, I'm not really sure what else to do. my state is hitting the line already in rural and urban areas. I understand that this is not nation or worldwide, or inclusive of all age groups.

Massachusetts is going to allow all businesses to fully reopen on May 29th. The states emergency declaration will end on June 5th.

In response to the news late yesterday, this is the number one thing trending on Twitter.

"It's going to be a hot girl summer".

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but my guess is it's time to get your party on / club.

Massachusetts is going to allow all businesses to fully reopen on May 29th. The states emergency declaration will end on June 5th.

In response to the news late yesterday, this is the number one thing trending on Twitter.

"It's going to be a hot girl summer".

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but my guess is it's time to get your party on / club.

In holding to my unwritten agreement to pretend that certain parties don’t exist, I won’t quote them. But I was reminded of something that was posted a few days back about the politicization of all this when I saw this meme.
B20ADD74-A054-4CEC-B420-68C649191AD4.jpeg

Look at the folks clinging to masks in light of the cdc’s updated directives regarding masking.
I mean.. is that really much of an issue? I'm vaccinated but I'll probably keep wearing masks (by my own discretion) in public spaces out of an abundance of caution for a bit longer at least. Even then, wearing masks SHOULD become commonplace when you're sick and in public anyway.

I think equivocating those who continue to wear masks out of caution, and those who don't even believe masks work is a miss.

I'm vaccinated and I'll wear masks if the businesses I frequent ask me to. Or if my kids' school asks me to. If a place doesn't require it, like when I went out to the Rangers game, I don't wear it. Masks continue to be politicized because people weirdly see it as some sort of infringement on their rights.

I'm vaccinated and I'll wear masks if the businesses I frequent ask me to. Or if my kids' school asks me to. If a place doesn't require it, like when I went out to the Rangers game, I don't wear it. Masks continue to be politicized because people weirdly see it as some sort of infringement on their rights.
Or a virtue signal to declare a team.
AD5FF4A1-3132-47CD-88EC-CCF0B66264E3.jpeg

Regardless, it’s dumb.

In holding to my unwritten agreement to pretend that certain parties don’t exist, I won’t quote them. But I was reminded of something that was posted a few days back about the politicization of all this when I saw this meme.
View attachment 99742

Couldn't mask requirements in the past be about a conservative public health approach to limit the spread of virus containing aerosols and the removing of those requirements be about economics?

Is there a reason both things couldn't be true?

Couldn't mask requirements in the past be about a conservative public health approach to limit the spread of virus containing aerosols and the removing of those requirements be about economics?

Is there a reason both things couldn't be true?
That could be the case, but it isn’t. There’s a really strong data set that says the masks aren’t needed for the vaccinated. Hell, they were never needed outside.

Back