Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I'm guessing my workplace will eliminate the mask mandate if the CDC says so. At this point, me and everyone else here that wants the vaccine has it. The six that don't want it aren't budging and still speak of the thousands of deaths caused by the vax, the reproductive damage caused by it and so forth.
They also say that Epstein is alive and being housed by The Clintons sooooo yeah, there's no getting through.
It amazes me that people can be that detached from reality. Then they'll turn around and say that everyone else is wrong because the watch *insert credible news channel name here*.

It amazes me that people can be that detached from reality. Then they'll turn around and say that everyone else is wrong because the watch *insert credible news channel name here*.
I totally agree. And the fact that I work with several people like that, it's actually crazy.

The one anti-vax guy here is married to a pediatrician. Not only are they both anti-vax, but a couple years ago she refused to treat the baby of a lesbian couple because "she prayed on it, and just couldn't find a path through god to do so." It made the news here. It's her private practice, she can do as she pleases. And I can, in turn, heavily dislike people as I please for their stances.

I'm still going to mask up in supermarkets and other stores for a little while longer. I don't feel fully comfortable being that exposed even if I've been fully vaccinated. At least for a little while longer until more people get fully vaccinated. I just checked and not even 50% of the population of any state is full vaxxed. I'm in Vermont where we're almost the most vaxxed but still not more than halfway. If everyone gets to 60-70% then I might let down my guard and maybe got eat inside at a restaurant.
My county in NY has been stuck in the low 50% for a while, and I feel like it's just not gonna get there. We're going to have to decide if we want to continue to sacrifice our lives to protect people who won't protect themselves, or to just move forward in a somewhat ruthless but inevitable way.

I totally agree. And the fact that I work with several people like that, it's actually crazy.

The one anti-vax guy here is married to a pediatrician. Not only are they both anti-vax, but a couple years ago she refused to treat the baby of a lesbian couple because "she prayed on it, and just couldn't find a path through god to do so." It made the news here. It's her private practice, she can do as she pleases. And I can, in turn, heavily dislike people as I please for their stances.
Not helping a sick child. Just like Jesus did in the bible.

Michigan hit 55% vaxxed a few days ago. So, we can all go back to working in offices as some form of congratulations? Can I give my vaccine back? Ha.

With that said, I went and visited a friend down in Alabama at the end of last month. There were many times I was literally the only person in a restaurant or store with a mask on. It didn't feel weird at all and people didn't say anything or give me any sideways looks. I remember the first time I went out in public to get groceries with a mask and it felt so foreign to me. Now, It's daily life and I'll be fine continuing to do so for the foreseeable future.

This story really bothered me the other day. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

My boss got Pfizer and he tested positive with symptoms. He was just past 2 weeks so he possibly had it before being "fully vaccinated". The only other people in the office who got it were unvaccinated.

This story really bothered me the other day. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

My boss got Pfizer and he tested positive with symptoms. He was just past 2 weeks so he possibly had it before being "fully vaccinated". The only other people in the office who got it were unvaccinated.
The science on this said that it was never going to eliminate risk 100%. It drastically reduces risk. What people tend to forget with statistics is that statistical probabilities cannot be used to predict the outcome of an individual in your cohort.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in this world is impossible. But there are a lot of things that are highly improbable. It's about risk reduction because no risk can ever be fully eliminated.

The science on this said that it was never going to eliminate risk 100%. It drastically reduces risk. What people tend to forget with statistics is that statistical probabilities cannot be used to predict the outcome of an individual in your cohort.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in this world is impossible. But there are a lot of things that are highly improbable. It's about risk reduction because no risk can ever be fully eliminated.
I guess it more bothered me that it's more ammo for the anti science idiots. It's good that 7 of the 8 are asymptomatic and who knows how much worse my boss could have been. I kind of wish they would stop reporting total case numbers now and focus more on hospitalizations and deaths. That's really the whole point of the vaccine anyway.

What the vaccinations seem to be really really good at is preventing severe cases, and that's what i hope my shot will give once i get it, but I think there might be no such thing as herd immunity for corona. Or as Christian Drosten, ine of germanys leading viroliogists said recently: this will go from pandemic to endemic, in the next 1,5 years (for germany) everyone wil get some immunity, either from vaccinations or from infections. So he suggests that basically everybody whl does not get vaccinated will get the virus and everybody should make their own risk assessment based on this.

What the vaccinations seem to be really really good at is preventing severe cases, and that's what i hope my shot will give once i get it, but I think there might be no such thing as herd immunity for corona. Or as Christian Drosten, ine of germanys leading viroliogists said recently: this will go from pandemic to endemic, in the next 1,5 years (for germany) everyone wil get some immunity, either from vaccinations or from infections. So he suggests that basically everybody whl does not get vaccinated will get the virus and everybody should make their own risk assessment based on this.
Yep, yep, yep.
Thus far I have yet to hear of a vaccine case that was hospitalized. I'm not going to say that it won't eventually happen, but it seems to really protect most people from serious illness, and for that alone, it's a good thing. I've read a couple papers that suggest we could eliminate it in 7 years, and other virologists who believe it will be with us forever.

The latest update for when people can start to return to the office in September is:
  • Must pass a temperature check to enter the building
  • Masks to be worn at all time.
  • Everything will have one way directions.
  • Social distancing of 6 feet to be used for seating / confroncerooms.
  • The Cafeteria will be closed. No access to fridges or microwaves.
  • Each employee will be provided with PPE, hand santazier, disinfectant wipes, touchless door openers and thermometers.
  • There will be software used to monitor who is in the office, and required for reserving your seat and conference rooms.

The latest update for when people can start to return to the office in September is:
  • Must pass a temperature check to enter the building
  • Masks to be worn at all time.
  • Everything will have one way directions.
  • Social distancing of 6 feet to be used for seating / confroncerooms.
  • The Cafeteria will be closed. No access to fridges or microwaves.
  • Each employee will be provided with PPE, hand santazier, disinfectant wipes, touchless door openers and thermometers.
  • There will be software used to monitor who is in the office, and required for reserving your seat and conference rooms.
These recommendations read like those from the height of the pandemic, not when vaccines are widely available and things like surface infections have been proven to be an unfounded concern.

At this point literally no one is following the science. It’s so politicized. People either either both anti-mask AND anti-vax (which is insane) or refusing to follow what is actually going on and what scientists recommend (which includes OTHER scientistis like people I work with).

All of America had gone completely insane thanks to politics.

These recommendations read like those from the height of the pandemic, not when vaccines are widely available and things like surface infections have been proven to be an unfounded concern.

At this point literally no one is following the science. It’s so politicized. People either either both anti-mask AND anti-vax (which is insane) or refusing to follow what is actually going on and what scientists recommend (which includes OTHER scientistis like people I work with).

All of America had gone completely insane thanks to politics.

Right now, they follow both MA state and Boston City health guidelines as they stand today. They are hoping both MA and Boston will relax the restrictions by September following the CDC's updated guidelines.

Social distancing with seating, temperature checks to enter the building and software for booking the space will be permanent changes we see.

I mean, most of those people probably weren't wearing masks anyway.

On Twitter I like to point out the people who want the benefits of being vaccinated without doing the work to get vaccinated are asking for a participation trophy. They don't like that.
They weren't wearing masks where they could get away with it, but the CDC guidelines place enormous pressure on communities and businesses to stop requiring masks.

I saw an epidemiologist discussing the fact that the majority of epidemiologists believe Americans should continue masking indoors (in public situations) for the next year or longer. I'll probably follow that guideline. Unmasked socializing with our vaxxed friend/family groups, but masking in public.

They weren't wearing masks where they could get away with it, but the CDC guidelines place enormous pressure on communities and businesses to stop requiring masks.

I saw an epidemiologist discussing the fact that the majority of epidemiologists believe Americans should continue masking indoors (in public situations) for the next year or longer. I'll probably follow that guideline. Unmasked socializing with our vaxxed friend/family groups, but masking in public.
Yes I read that, it was for mixed (vax and not) and large (what does that mean?) groups of people. So yes like the grocery store or an airplane, but what about a 30 person restaurant? It's all very unclear so you just gotta use your "corona-sense".

We have an interesting thing in higher ed because next semester all students will be required to be vaccinated. But so far they are not requiring this of employees (it's on shaky legal ground to do so). So NOW the question is will things be normal? If all the students are vaccinated and the vast majority of employees are, logic says we can actually go back to normal. But so many of my colleagues are freaking out and I feel like we will take some middle path that's illogical and satisfies no one.

Yes I read that, it was for mixed (vax and not) and large (what does that mean?) groups of people. So yes like the grocery store or an airplane, but what about a 30 person restaurant? It's all very unclear so you just gotta use your "corona-sense".

We have an interesting thing in higher ed because next semester all students will be required to be vaccinated. But so far they are not requiring this of employees (it's on shaky legal ground to do so). So NOW the question is will things be normal? If all the students are vaccinated and the vast majority of employees are, logic says we can actually go back to normal. But so many of my colleagues are freaking out and I feel like we will take some middle path that's illogical and satisfies no one.
I consider masking in restaurants and boutiques just respectful to employees. No need to make them try to clock whether I'm vaxxed or or a jerk. That said, I know the staffs at my local restaurants (literally on my block) well enough that as time goes on I'll be doing whatever they're most comfortable with.

Of course I'm also setting an example for my child until she can be vaccinated.

Last edited:
Experts are sounding the alarms at the CDC's new Mask Guidance.

Following the updated guidelines that allowed fully vaccinated people to no longer have to wear mask or social distance indoors businesses across the country have lifted their mask mandates for those fully vaccinated.

The issue is this has had serious unintended consequences. By laxing these restrictions, all the unvaccinated anti-maskers have been given free reign to be indoors maskless and not social distance. They are not following the guidance that states only fully vaccinated people. They are simply taking advantage the lax in restrictions to go maskless and return to normal and to hell with the guidance.

There is a large part of the population in rural america who still has not been vaccinated. Nor plan to be vaccinated. Yet this new guidance from the CDC resulted in their lives returning to normal overnight.

Back