Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My 13 year old nephew just got his first shot yesterday here in Dallas. We're about to sign our 13 year old up for one.
Oh that's great news! I did know 12-15 had been approved in trials, but didn't know they were receiving doses yet. I see eligibility in Oregon started Thursday šŸ„°
It has much less to do with people choosing to continue to wear masks than pointing out the hypocrisy of their positions and statements from a year ago compared to now. When people expressed doubts about the efficacy of mask mandates the mantra was trust the CDC, believe the science. Now that the CDC is saying that the mask mandates are not necessary, those those same people are pushing back against the ending of the mandates.
As others have noted, it is only hypocrisy if people's actions were actually about the CDC.
I understand that you think that, but as I explained above, to me it is a complete false equivalency, so I disagree about it being hypocritical.

If someone a year ago said "you have to do exactly what the CDC says, no more and no less" and now they are saying "you should do more than the CDC says." Then you may have a point about them being hypocritical, but I personally don't think that person is remotely common. I also fail to see how it is a negative if the thing they are being hypocritical about is being relatively more cautious than before.

Did I miss where the CDC said that mask mandates are not necessary? I thought they just said that mask wearing is not necessary for people who are fully vaccinated in most situations. I could be behind on the news.

Edit: I will say that I agree with you that if their true sole reason for wearing them is not to be mistaken as a Republican, not because they have any concerns about safety or personal comfort, that is stupid.
David Hogg is a kid who got famous for experiencing trauma. He says a lot of dumb kid stuff.

People started wearing masks at different points for different reasons--plenty of people started masking when the CDC was begging us not to, blowing their credibility (with those who might've still considered them credible at least in the face of a global pandemic) by trying to give cover for the lack of available protective gear.

For me, wearing a mask has always been as much about solidarity with my community as anything else. We mask for each other, not just ourselves. And considering how traumatic the last year+ had been for so many, doing it until cases actually consistently plateau for folks' peace of mind is easy.

In the post I was referencing, yes. I did agree you were correct. I almost quoted you to make that reference and say that directly. I chose not to not because of pride, but with the knowledge that in the entire time we have interacted here and at the old place direct engagement never resulted in a positive outcome.

Simply put, you and I mix less like oil and water and more like potassium and water. I choose not to directly engage with you as a general course of action because I believe it to be in the best interest of not only myself but everyone else.

On that note, I will step away from this discussion and sincerely wish you a good day.

Why do you keep coming in this thread with your weird libertarian/right "le masterful troll" stuff and act so surprised when people get annoyed?

Folks can wear their masks whenever they want. It's not against CDC guidance to do so. It doesn't hurt anyone and it might actually continue to help. It's like as soon as politics or "freedom" come into the discussion, empathy disappears.

Also, posting a tweet from David Hogg and talking about HoW DuMb Is ThIs KiD LOL only makes you look like a very awful person.

40 states have now vaccinated more than half their residence (receiving at least their first shot). The national average for percentage of people vaccinated hit 60% yesterday. 7 states have reached Bidens goal of 70% vaccinated. (ā€ÆConnecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Vermont.)

The 10 states (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wyoming) who have vaccinated less than 50% of their population are seeing the highest rates of COVID-19 in the nation. These states are sing vaccination rates of 38% to 45% currently and are facing an uphill battle to get the rest of their population vaccinated. Those willing to be vaccinated have already received their vaccination and those who have not received a vaccination yet are hesitant.

Locally we are at 40% vaccinated, but our case numbers, hospitalizations, and deaths have only continued dropping. Weā€™re now in the yellow tier, which we havenā€™t been in since last summer. Itā€™s amazing how good we are doing despite not being at 50% vaccinated yet. And our mask mandate has been over for almost three weeks now. Iā€™m surprised at how good it seems here at the moment.

Locally we are at 40% vaccinated, but our case numbers, hospitalizations, and deaths have only continued dropping. Weā€™re now in the yellow tier, which we havenā€™t been in since last summer. Itā€™s amazing how good we are doing despite not being at 50% vaccinated yet. And our mask mandate has been over for almost three weeks now. Iā€™m surprised at how good it seems here at the moment.
Are you maybe reaching a certain level of herd immunity if you factor in the proportion of the population that has immunity due to prior infection?

It was slow starting up here in Canada, but Quebec has now reached 50% of the population with a single dose (a little over 60% of the adult population) and we should hit 75% by mid-june based on vaccination appointments already taken. Adolescents 12-17 will get their first dose in schools starting in june and prior to the end of the school year. Second doses are already done for those in assisted living situations and the plan is to have over 75% double-dosed by mid-August. Case loads are dropping fast as well and things will begin gradually de-confining early June. Fingers crossed everything holds while we're all waiting for dose 2.

That said, we don't have politicization issues as in the US.

Also, posting a tweet from David Hogg and talking about HoW DuMb Is ThIs KiD LOL only makes you look like a very awful person.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school isn't far from here. I knew kids that went there when I was in high school.

Mocking a kid for being a kid and saying things in a less than fully formed way is awful and cruel and gauche as fuck.

Why do you keep coming in this thread with your weird libertarian/right "le masterful troll" stuff and act so surprised when people get annoyed?

Folks can wear their masks whenever they want. It's not against CDC guidance to do so. It doesn't hurt anyone and it might actually continue to help. It's like as soon as politics or "freedom" come into the discussion, empathy disappears.

Youā€™re extrapolating a whole lot of bad and incorrect takes from my interactions with one specific person with whom there is a history.

I know my views run counter to the mainstream here. Iā€™m open to and expect pushback. Sometimes I express them in artfully and have to clarify myself. It is what it is.

As far as empathy disappearing, it isnā€™t when freedom enters the picture that it departs. Itā€™s when folks attempt to use empathy as a method of legislating or regulating freedom away we develop a problem. You donā€™t get to use your feelings to make me accept the boot of the state on my neck.

Hogg used the terrible events that happened to him to move into a space of being a public figure. So much so that some of other kids who suffered that tragedy have distanced themselves from him and his publicity seeking behavior. I may greatly disagree with what some of those kids are trying to do wrt gun laws, but Iā€™ll only attack their ideas. Hogg is an idiot, and a public one. He is open to mocking the same as any other public figure.

Last edited:
Don't know if this has come up here yet, but apparently the expected baby boom was a big baby bust.

Only one of my friends got pregnant during the pandemic and it was previously planned. On the other hand multiple married couples I know got a divorce.

This is an excerpt from the morning NYT email I get. This is the most encouraging thing I've read in a very long time.

I want to end this week by showing you two Covid-19 charts. They contain the same message: The pandemic is in retreat.​
In the United States, there is now an excellent chance that the retreat is permanent. Victory over Covid has not yet arrived, but it is growing close. After almost a year and a half of sickness, death, grieving and isolation, the progress is cause for genuine joy.​
More than 60 percent of American adults have received at least one vaccine shot, and the share is growing by about two percentage points per week. Among unvaccinated people, a substantial number have already had Covid and therefore have some natural immunity. ā€œThe virus is running out of places to be communicable,ā€ Andy Slavitt, one of President Bidenā€™s top Covid advisers, told me.​
The share of Covid tests coming back positive has fallen below 3 percent for the first time since widespread testing began, and the number of hospitalized patients has fallen to the lowest point in 11 months, Dr. Eric Topol of the Scripps Research Translational Institute noted. For the first time since March 5 of last year, San Francisco General Hospital yesterday had no Covid patients ā€” ā€œa truly momentous day,ā€ Dr. Vivek Jain said.​
There are still important caveats. Covid remains especially dangerous in communities with low vaccination rates, as Slavitt noted, including much of the Southeast; these communities may suffer through future outbreaks. And about 600 Americans continue to die from the disease every day.​
But the sharp decline in cases over the past month virtually guarantees that deaths will fall over the next month. The pandemic appears to be in an exponential-decay phase, as this helpful Times essay by ZoĆ« McLaren explains. ā€œEvery case of Covid-19 that is prevented cuts off transmission chains, which prevents many more cases down the line,ā€ she writes.​
This isnā€™t merely a theoretical prediction. In Britain, one of the few countries to have given a shot to a greater share of the population than the U.S., deaths are down more than 99 percent from their peak.​

Public health field sees 'mass exodus' with local officials​

The Lead

Covid-19 has pushed the public health system to its brink, and public health officials are leaving the field -- some stressed and others fired, like former Riverside County, California public health officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser. CNN's senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen investigates.
Source: CNN

In a time where we need public health officials the most, we are seeing mass exodus of them. Whether they resigned, retired early due to the stress of COVID-19 and threats to themselves or their family, or were fired over their mask mandates and stay at home orders.

Across the country public health officials have also seen diminished responsibility and limits to their power imposed to prevent future lockdowns in GOP controlled states.

My mother, who is a school nurse in her late age retirement, and was a nurse for 15 years here in the US and a doctor outside the US, who has refused to vaccinate, just called from the hospital where she's been admitted from urgent care because she's got covid.

In a time where we need public health officials the most, we are seeing mass exodus of them. Whether they resigned, retired early due to the stress of COVID-19 and threats to themselves or their family, or were fired over their mask mandates and stay at home orders.

Across the country public health officials have also seen diminished responsibility and limits to their power imposed to prevent future lockdowns in GOP controlled states.

As a former public health professional, I have so much to say. But basically, it doesn't help that most of the jobs in public health are actually contractor jobs that don't pay anything, but you also don't get the state pension or great health care benefits--so you get the low pay, the HDHP, and a 401K that you get to meagerly feed with your meager contractor salary. But it gets better because all your data systems are built by contractors who don't want to become obsolete, so they lock it behind "proprietary" data structures so you can't get at your raw data to do anything of consequence.

All it took for me to leave public health was a higher salary and no commute. If I were being threatened with physical harm, the job is just not worth that.

Back