Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Hey @nolalady public health wonder woman does this check out? This was my response to people arguing about why they are closing done restaurants in LA.

“xxx the 3% is only part of the statistical story. What they are lookat is risk. How risky is it to be in a restaurant. What they want to know is how likely are you going to spread the virus by participating in a certain area of the economy. It’s a ratio of cases/economic interactions.

It maybe only responsible for 3% of the cases because the amount of economic interactions are very low. While people go to the grocery store a lot so there are more cases, but when compare to the amount of trips to the store and the spread it is low risk.

There is a total of 100 cases 3 are from restaurant interactions while 10 are from grocery store interactions.

Cases from restaurants/Trips to restaurants =3/10=30% chance of contracting Covid

Cases from groceries/trips to grocery=10/100=10% chance of contracting Covid

XXX 1.3% is from Media. The would be about 1.3 cases per 100 cases. However let’s say they are from 50 shoots.

1.3/50=3% chance you will contract Covid from working on a shoot.”

Dr. Steven LaTulippe proclaimed to a crowd of President Trump supporters on Nov. 7 that "COVID-19 is no more" and that, throughout the coronavirus pandemic that has so far killed more than 275,000 people in the US this year, neither he nor the staff at his clinic ever wore a face mask when seeing patients.

"I hate to tell you this. I might scare you, but I and my staff, none of us, once wore a mask in my clinic," LaTulippe told a cheering crowd protesting the presidential election results in Salem, Oregon, where attendees aired unfounded and baseless conspiracies of massive voter fraud. "I want to expose what I call 'corona-mania.'"

On Thursday, the Oregon Medical Board suspended LaTulippe's license and ordered the family practice doctor to "stop practicing medicine until further order of the Board," calling his actions "a serious danger to the public health or safety."

According to the order, not only have LaTulippe and his staff refused to wear masks at the South View Medical Arts clinic in Dallas, Oregon, but also, "urge persons who enter the clinic wearing masks to remove their masks."

Seven Washington state nursing home residents with Covid-19 died after staff members attended a 300-person wedding that violated the governor's coronavirus restrictions.

The deaths were at three nursing home facilities in Grant County, health officials said Thursday. They were men in their 70s, 80s, and 90s who had underlying health conditions, according to a press release by the Grant County Health District.

DeSantis, a Republican who owes his job to early support from President Donald Trump, imposed an approach in line with the views of the president and his powerful base of supporters. The administration suppressed unfavorable facts, dispensed dangerous misinformation, dismissed public health professionals, and promoted the views of scientific dissenters who supported the governor’s approach to the disease.
The DeSantis administration’s approach to managing COVID-19 information carries costs. It supports a climate in which people proudly disdain masks, engage in dangerous group activities that could spread the disease, and brush aside information that conflicts with their political views. With partygoers packing Florida bars and holiday travelers filling hotels and guest rooms, the state faces a few difficult months before the possible relief of vaccines.
And here is the list of things DeSantis did.

• State officials withheld information about infections in schools, prisons, hospitals and nursing homes, relenting only under pressure or legal action from family members, advocacy groups and journalists.
  • The DeSantis administration brushed aside scientists and doctors who advocated conventional approaches to fighting the virus, preferring scientists on the fringes who backed the governor’s positions.
  • The governor’s spokesman regularly takes to Twitter to spread misinformation about the disease, including the false claim that COVID was less deadly than the flu.
  • The governor highlighted statistics that would paint the rosiest picture possible and attempted to cast doubt on the validity of Florida’s rising death toll.
  • The Florida Department of Health’s county-level spokespeople were ordered in September to stop issuing public statements about COVID-19 until after the Nov. 3 election.
  • The DeSantis administration refused to reveal details about the first suspected cases in Florida, then denied the virus was spreading from person to person — despite mounting evidence that it was.
We also have republicans defending DeSantis, saying he did everything in his power, acted quickly and saved many lives. Fox news says any criticism of how he handle Covid-19 by the media is political in nation and presented by the liberal media.

And here is the list of things DeSantis did.

• State officials withheld information about infections in schools, prisons, hospitals and nursing homes, relenting only under pressure or legal action from family members, advocacy groups and journalists.
  • The DeSantis administration brushed aside scientists and doctors who advocated conventional approaches to fighting the virus, preferring scientists on the fringes who backed the governor’s positions.
  • The governor’s spokesman regularly takes to Twitter to spread misinformation about the disease, including the false claim that COVID was less deadly than the flu.
  • The governor highlighted statistics that would paint the rosiest picture possible and attempted to cast doubt on the validity of Florida’s rising death toll.
  • The Florida Department of Health’s county-level spokespeople were ordered in September to stop issuing public statements about COVID-19 until after the Nov. 3 election.
  • The DeSantis administration refused to reveal details about the first suspected cases in Florida, then denied the virus was spreading from person to person — despite mounting evidence that it was.
We also have republicans defending DeSantis, saying he did everything in his power, acted quickly and saved many lives. Fox news says any criticism of how he handle Covid-19 by the media is political in nation and presented by the liberal media.
The motherfucker is getting people killed through incompetence. At least governor voldemore (now senator voldemort) was just a money hungry evil shitbag, DeSantis is an idiot failing upward, with a trail of bodies in his wake.

This isn't an error, btw. He really has put on a mask like this. More than once. 20201206_110020.jpg

My dad tested positive this morning. He thought he had an ear infection.

My mom has cold symptoms and is still waiting on her results, but obviously likely positive as well.

My uncle tested positive last week. My dad and uncle work together.

Hoping the severity of their symptoms stays like this.

Stay safe out there y'all.

My sister, aunt, and uncle all tested positive the week of Thanksgiving. My sister was the least shocking to hear about since she has changed very little about her social life. She still played tennis at her country club and had friends and friends' kids over all the time.

What got my wife and I concerned was that she had been speaking out of both sides of her mouth. We were at her house in September for a birthday party; small gathering, outside, less than 10 people (my parents, my sister and husband, their kids and my kids). She tells us all that she is being careful, blah blah blah.

Then the next day she's posting pictures of her and about 15 other adults all huddled together for a picture in her backyard. All without masks. While she herself is not on the conspiracy bandwagon, she lives in a neighborhood where privilege, money, and an "it can't happen to me" mentality go hand in hand. So skirting the line between conspiracy and blind ignorance of the danger. We haven't been to visit her since that party, and now I think that was the best idea for our own safety.

It sucks that I can't trust my own sister to be more careful, even when our parents have risk factors. I'm thankful my parents have taken a firm stance on safety as well and are protecting themselves, but it really suck they can't see half off their grandkids because my sister is acting dumb and they can't trust her.

My dad tested positive this morning. He thought he had an ear infection.

My mom has cold symptoms and is still waiting on her results, but obviously likely positive as well.

My uncle tested positive last week. My dad and uncle work together.

Hoping the severity of their symptoms stays like this.

Stay safe out there y'all.

My sister, aunt, and uncle all tested positive the week of Thanksgiving. My sister was the least shocking to hear about since she has changed very little about her social life. She still played tennis at her country club and had friends and friends' kids over all the time.

What got my wife and I concerned was that she had been speaking out of both sides of her mouth. We were at her house in September for a birthday party; small gathering, outside, less than 10 people (my parents, my sister and husband, their kids and my kids). She tells us all that she is being careful, blah blah blah.

Then the next day she's posting pictures of her and about 15 other adults all huddled together for a picture in her backyard. All without masks. While she herself is not on the conspiracy bandwagon, she lives in a neighborhood where privilege, money, and an "it can't happen to me" mentality go hand in hand. So skirting the line between conspiracy and blind ignorance of the danger. We haven't been to visit her since that party, and now I think that was the best idea for our own safety.

It sucks that I can't trust my own sister to be more careful, even when our parents have risk factors. I'm thankful my parents have taken a firm stance on safety as well and are protecting themselves, but it really suck they can't see half off their grandkids because my sister is acting dumb and they can't trust her.

Wow, sorry to hear this you guys. Here's to hoping they have mild cases/easy recoveries.

My sister-in-law is still struggling but hasn't been hospitalized, she's into week three now I think. Her cough is terrible and zero energy, those are the two main things she has been reporting to us.

Wow, sorry to hear this you guys. Here's to hoping they have mild cases/easy recoveries.

My sister-in-law is still struggling but hasn't been hospitalized, she's into week three now I think. Her cough is terrible and zero energy, those are the two main things she has been reporting to us.
Thanks. So far she seems to be just fine. Cold symptoms and other minor stuff.

The other good news is my wife has received her paperwork from the hospital informing them that vaccines could be available to them by mid-December.

The other good news is my wife has received her paperwork from the hospital informing them that vaccines could be available to them by mid-December.

I'm expecting that my wife gets the same info very soon from her hospital. She's a pharmacist so she hasn't worked directly with Covid patients but I've been more than a little concerned about her through all of this. And she's completely worn out, safe to assume your wife is too?

I'm expecting that my wife gets the same info very soon from her hospital. She's a pharmacist so she hasn't worked directly with Covid patients but I've been more than a little concerned about her through all of this. And she's completely worn out, safe to assume your wife is too?
My wife is in Labor and Delivery and she has been working with Covid positive patients. She's more exhausted from her management not taking things seriously. She was there for an education/seminar thing and her manager took her mask off to present in a small/windowless room. Talk about leading by example.

She's also legitimately concerned by the amount of coworkers who subscribe to the conspiracy theories. This is baffling to me since there is one coworker who is on a unit delivering babies, but believes in the Q-Anon bullshit of "baby harvesting" by some shadowy cabal of democrats. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PROVIDING CRITCAL CARE IN YOUR HOSPITALS AND THAT SHOULD CONCERN YOU.

My wife is in Labor and Delivery and she has been working with Covid positive patients. She's more exhausted from her management not taking things seriously. She was there for an education/seminar thing and her manager took her mask off to present in a small/windowless room. Talk about leading by example.

She's also legitimately concerned by the amount of coworkers who subscribe to the conspiracy theories. This is baffling to me since there is one coworker who is on a unit delivering babies, but believes in the Q-Anon bullshit of "baby harvesting" by some shadowy cabal of democrats. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PROVIDING CRITCAL CARE IN YOUR HOSPITALS AND THAT SHOULD CONCERN YOU.
I expect nothing less from Ohio these days, sadly.

Just listened to Apple News Today.

Not sure if this podcast by Apple News is available to everyone with an iPhone or just those who subscribe to Apple News Plus (I'm currently in a 3 month free trial).

Todays episode has an in-depth segment about how the wealthy and well connected will cut the lines and be among the first to get a covid-19 vaccine. They have already done so when it comes to testing.

And there is nothing illegal about this. Our healthcare system is designed to provide priority care for those who can pay more.

The first round of vaccines are supposed to be only for those who are high risk (elderly / underlying conditions) and essential workers.

However, Wall Street has already successfully lobbied to classified banking and investing as an essential business in the majority of states. This means that many Wall Street CEO's and VP's in finance are classified as essential workers and have priority access.

As for others with money. It's very easy for them to ask their doctors for and receive the vaccine. If they have a slight condition their doctors will often fib on the paper work and say they have severe this or that so they qualify for the vaccine. The doctors are not going to say no to their highest paying customers as they want to retain them.

Anyone who is wealthy or well connected will likely be able to get their vaccine within the first phase if they really want to push for it. Where as the average American will not be able to if they don't fit into one of phase 1 groups.

All in person services were shut down in my district and anybody that can must work from home. The only thing that is open is school site Covid testing till Jan 11th

My wife has had a lot of family issues like this. One of those people has uterine cancer and is just walking around like it’s no big deal .

Hope your family is okay!

This whole thing has been really eye-opening. We're dealing with something similar with my wife's father: he's an accountant, owns his small shop, and for years he's done business by physically going to his clients. Well, when everything happened, he talked about how he always wears a mask, he's alone in a conference room, etc etc.

Turns out, that's not true. He doesn't "always wear a mask," and he's far from alone. Just last week he was at a client's place, maskless, and was in a meeting for over 10mins with someone that tested positive a day later. So far, he hasn't come down with anything, and we're really hoping he doesn't test positive himself-- but my wife was LIVID when he told her what happened. We thought he was being more careful, but he simply wasn't, mostly because he refuses to do business any other way, and apparently can't even wear a mask the whole time if he refuses to change his routines.

There's also my dad: he had a covid scare because of golf, and barely two weeks later, he's still playing. Now that's a pretty low risk thing to do, to be totally fair, but he's got MS and is over 65 and I have to imagine he's high risk. It's just amazing how little people are willing to give up. Their risk/reward calculations are completely different than mine, and I sort of struggle to understand what people are thinking.

Latest reports are saying that the vaccine may not be widely available to the general public until late summer of 2021 or later now. The first have of the year will be restricted access to those deemed to be at a higher risk.

Back