Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I cannot tell you how many special needs moms are feeling left with no options.

I'm waiting to see what this year has in store for us but if my childrens' IEPs aren't followed this year, I would also consider suing. An IEP is a legally binding document that spells out what services the school board will provide for your child. If the school board does not provide what they say they will, they are in breach of their contract. Our kids already have a lot of barriers to learning, and virtual learning is not going to cut it, especially for my oldest with developmental delay.

Even during the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic, some Americans were not fans of wearing masks.

They risked hefty fines by refusing to wear them and sometimes ended up in jail. In one case in San Francisco, an organized group called the "Anti-Mask League" held a protest in a local ballroom that was attended by about 2,000 people in January 1919.

Still, there are important differences between the opposition to masks in 1918 and what we are seeing during the 2020 coronavirus pandemic in America, according to historians CNN spoke with.

The "Anti-Mask League" protest in San Francisco "was an orderly protest compared to people fighting in Walmarts today," said Dr. Howard Markel, a medical historian and a physician who leads the Center for the History of Medicine at the University of Michigan.

Just last month in Michigan, the day after state Gov. Gretchen Whitmer imposed a mask mandate, a man was stabbed and killed after confronting another man who refused to wear a mask inside a store.

"Today, the anti-mask sentiment has a virulence and violence of its own that we didn't see back then," Markel told CNN.

Reactions: mgp

Travis Kalanick is throwing (outdoor) parties, private-jet owners are hopping from safe zone to safe zone, and dinner party hosts are administering 15-minute COVID-19 rapid tests—all business as usual. “Coronavirus is a poor person’s virus,” says one source.

UNC-Chapel Hill went to remote learning today, one week after opening back up, due to 4 clusters popping up in a week.

Just heard an awful thing someone's company is doing. Business is down because of COVID-19, so the business has mandated people use all but 10 hours of their PTO this summer while things are slow. They then have to use all their remaining PTO and new PTO accrued by the end of the year.

Now that people have used up their PTO, the business has changed it's covid policies. Instead of being eligible for short term disability / leave with subsidized pay if you test positive for Covid-19, you are required to use your PTO. If you are out of PTO, well too bad. Tough Luck. No pay, and your job might be in jeopardy.

Oh, and by the way, management at this company is insisting that they are not a work from home company. Working from home has no longer been tolerated since the stay at home order has been lifted. Even though 95% of the people in this office could work from home, working from home is not an option any longer, and will not be an option if they are in quarantine.

How fucked up is that.

Just heard an awful thing someone's company is doing. Business is down because of COVID-19, so the business has mandated people use all but 10 hours of their PTO this summer while things are slow. They then have to use all their remaining PTO and new PTO accrued by the end of the year.

Now that people have used up their PTO, the business has changed it's covid policies. Instead of being eligible for short term disability / leave with subsidized pay if you test positive for Covid-19, you are required to use your PTO. If you are out of PTO, well too bad. Tough Luck. No pay, and your job might be in jeopardy.

Oh, and by the way, management at this company is insisting that they are not a work from home company. Working from home has no longer been tolerated since the stay at home order has been lifted. Even though 95% of the people in this office could work from home, working from home is not an option any longer, and will not be an option if they are in quarantine.

How fucked up is that.
I don't understand this. Are you saying they intentionally made people run out of PTO by paying them not to work just to be able to fire and/or not pay people later for getting COVID? I'm not sure how that is in the best interest of the business owners. Can you explain what motive they might have had for that?

I don't understand this. Are you saying they intentionally made people run out of PTO by paying them not to work just to be able to fire and/or not pay people later for getting COVID? I'm not sure how that is in the best interest of the business owners. Can you explain what motive they might have had for that?

No, I don't think they intentionally did that.

I think management was just looking at numbers, and wanted people to use banked PTO hours instead of sitting idle or having layoffs. This may have been done by local or regional management.

Their corporation, a global corporation, just changed COVID policies so that PTO must be used when out of work for COVID. They put an end to short term disability and subsidized pay.

Corporate has also been telling the Boston Office that working from home is not an option since day one. Local management was for it when everything started doing it, they were told it wasn't an option. Then they were forced to work from home when the state mandated it. As soon as the stay at home order lifted and people were legally allowed back in the office, this company required them back in the office stating working from home is no longer acceptable.

The new corporate policy on using PTO does not address what happens if you don't have PTO. And not having PTO under policy and taking sick days could result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.

So over all, very poorly planned and way to strict / oppressing treatment of their employees. Got to love conservative business management / leadership.

No, I don't think they intentionally did that.

I think management was just looking at numbers, and wanted people to use banked PTO hours instead of sitting idle or having layoffs. This may have been done by local or regional management.

Their corporation, a global corporation, just changed COVID policies so that PTO must be used when out of work for COVID. They put an end to short term disability and subsidized pay.

Corporate has also been telling the Boston Office that working from home is not an option since day one. Local management was for it when everything started doing it, they were told it wasn't an option. Then they were forced to work from home when the state mandated it. As soon as the stay at home order lifted and people were legally allowed back in the office, this company required them back in the office stating working from home is no longer acceptable.

The new corporate policy on using PTO does not address what happens if you don't have PTO. And not having PTO under policy and taking sick days could result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.

So over all, very poorly planned and way to strict / oppressing treatment of their employees. Got to love conservative business management / leadership.
It still doesn't make sense to me. What advantage does making someone take PTO instead of sitting idle give them? PTO doesn't prevent layoffs, as the company is still paying them the same money either way. Maybe they anticipate a lot of work coming down the line and don't want people to take vacation, but assuming their PTO includes their sick time, anyone can see how that is a stupid plan, as people will still be out sick and then you'll need them when they're out whether you pay them or not.

It seems to me that the conservative choice there is to lay people off if there isn't work for them to do. That's what the enormous corporation I work for is doing and it's pretty hard to blame them, since the work literally isn't there and not coming back soon.

I'm not a manager or an executive, so maybe I'm missing something, that's why I ask.

The no working from home policy is definitely completely stupid and inexcusable though.

It still doesn't make sense to me. What advantage does making someone take PTO instead of sitting idle give them? PTO doesn't prevent layoffs, as the company is still paying them the same money either way. Maybe they anticipate a lot of work coming down the line and don't want people to take vacation, but assuming their PTO includes their sick time, anyone can see how that is a stupid plan, as people will still be out sick and then you'll need them when they're out whether you pay them or not.

It seems to me that the conservative choice there is to lay people off if there isn't work for them to do. That's what the enormous corporation I work for is doing and it's pretty hard to blame them, since the work literally isn't there and not coming back soon.

I'm not a manager or an executive, so maybe I'm missing something, that's why I ask.

I believe the fear with laying the people off is they would lose talent that is highly specific to the job they do. And by the way, this company did layoff around 30% of their employees this past April already. The use the PTO was for remaining employees after layoffs to avoid more layoffs.

Asking people to use PTO when slow is not uncommon when it comes to business management, but is shitty nonetheless.

They look at people sitting idle as losing money. The PTO is already owned to the employees, so effectively they are telling their employees we don't have enough work for you, our bad, use our PTO so we don't have to pay you.

They are not expecting more work later that would prevent people from taking PTO. They just don't want to pay people to work when they don't have enough work available.

Back