Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My wife was a bridesmaid in a wedding this weekend. About 100 people in attendance. I'd guess maybe 15 total wearing masks. I am very concerned that we were exposed. Would not have stayed if we were just normal attendees.

My grandparents have their 60th wedding anniversary celebration next weekend. All precautions will be taken there, but we may not go because of this stupid wedding.

Last edited:
Messages Image(2918206310).png

New Hampshire's recent mask mandate for events of 100 people or more, which was specifically enacted to target Bike Week in Laconia does not seem to be being followed whatsoever. It's like playing "Where's Waldo" to try to spot a mask. Who here can spot more than 1 mask?

View attachment 62861

New Hampshire's recent mask mandate for events of 100 people or more, which was specifically enacted to target Bike Week in Laconia does not seem to be being followed whatsoever. It's like playing "Where's Waldo" to try to spot a mask. Who here can spot more than 1 mask?

I've got 3, but yeah the rest are just asking for it considering people congregated there from different places.

After the removal, it typically takes hours, maybe a day, for the patient to return to consciousness. The body needs that time to clear the drugs that keep the patient sedated and comfortable — able to tolerate intubation and mechanical ventilation. But doctors across the U.S. and in other countries have noted a troubling phenomenon associated with some COVID-19 cases: Even after extubation, some patients remain unconscious for days, weeks or longer. There's no official term for the problem, but it's being called a "prolonged" or "persistent" coma or unresponsiveness.

My wife was a bridesmaid in a wedding this weekend. About 100 people in attendance. I'd guess maybe 15 total wearing masks. I am very concerned that we were exposed. Would not have stayed if we were just normal attendees.

My grandparents have their 60th wedding anniversary celebration this weekend. All precautions will be taken there, but we may not go because of this stupid wedding.

Out of 65 guests at the wedding, 53 have so far tested positive for COVID-19.

That says a lot about how easily it spreads.

Hope this isn't me in a few days

Zoom went down for over 2 and a half hours yesterday morning, as many schools started their first day of virtual learning.

Zoom was not able to handle the network traffic and crashed.

The first confirmed case of reinfection of COVID-19 has been confirmed.

In this case, the patient had been reinfected with a recently identified new stand of the virus. This confirms that it is not a reactivation, but rather a new infection of a mutation of the virus.

One question NBC asked a to a medical professional was if this derails any plans for a vaccine. The answer is no. Not at all. But it does help confirm theories that the COVID-19 vaccination will likely have to be yearly like the flu virus. And we could have some hit or miss years if they guess what strands will be dominate.

Zoom went down for over 2 and a half hours yesterday morning, as many schools started their first day of virtual learning.

Glad they made good use of all that investment money to improve their infrastructure since the money was pouring in and they knew this was coming literally months in advance.

My wife couldn't get it to work all day but was able to use Google meet.

In this case, the patient had been reinfected with a recently identified new stand of the virus. This confirms that it is not a reactivation, but rather a new infection of a mutation of the virus.

One question NBC asked a to a medical professional was if this derails any plans for a vaccine. The answer is no. Not at all. But it does help confirm theories that the COVID-19 vaccination will likely have to be yearly like the flu virus. And we could have some hit or miss years if they guess what strands will be dominate.
a positive part I heard about this case is that although the antibodies didn't inoculate them from a different strain, it did appear to help their immune system handle it better. they were tested this time due to traveling- had no symptoms or illness. those that catch and recover from the virus still might be better equipped for other strains- although, tbd on for how long, and also didn't hear word on the asymptomatic spread possibilities.

a positive part I heard about this case is that although the antibodies didn't inoculate them from a different strain, it did appear to help their immune system handle it better. they were tested this time due to traveling- had no symptoms or illness. those that catch and recover from the virus still might be better equipped for other strains- although, tbd on for how long, and also didn't hear word on the asymptomatic spread possibilities.
I mean, I'm kinda reading that as anyone who survives it the first time will likely survive later strains. So, eventually we see everyone who can't handle it die and after a few generations we have a gene pool that is COVID tolerant. bleak but effective.

I mean, I'm kinda reading that as anyone who survives it the first time will likely survive later strains. So, eventually we see everyone who can't handle it die and after a few generations we have a gene pool that is COVID tolerant. bleak but effective.
well, yes. that's why I said a positive "part" and also mentioned asymptomatic spread concerns. my body isn't gonna be up for handling this thing most likely, so I'm not really one of those gunning for herd immunity as a first option.

my parents both had it in June and recovered in under 2 weeks, but my dad said his energy has been cut in half from before he was sick. all of this sucks. just glad to see that if you unfortunately catch one of the mutations a second time around, this confirms that your body might be more up for the challenge.

The bad news about reinfection is that "natural" herd immunity would be impossible to achieve. The goal of herd immunity is to build a barrier to protect the most vulnerable in society.

It's great for those being reinfected that the second time around would be mild or asymptomatic, but they would still be infectious - so no natural herd barrier is formed.

It seems more and more that vaccination will be very important in the fight and that in the meantime, the usual precautions must be maintained.

But forget this idea of immunity passports.

Be careful about talking about strains - the virus for the second infection was genetically different, which is what allowed to confirm that there was a 2nd infection via sequencing, but not a new strain per se. Nothing indicated that the variant virus developed the key functional mutations that makes it a new strain.

The 2nd infection occurred likely because the patient did not have neutralizing antibodies from the 1st infection - but the lack of symptoms does point to a successful immune response that kept the virus titres and disease in check in the patient. It will be interesting to see if they can confirm the presence of specific T cells for example.

Last edited:

Just to be clear, vaccination may have to be yearly for COVID-19, but for a different reason than the flu.

For the flu, immunity is very long lasting. But the flu mutates in its key envelope proteins to outsmart our immune system and so you need to design a new vaccine against the new envelope and provide that yearly to fight the new strain variants.

For SARS-CoV-2 (and the other common coronaviruses), it doesn't mutate so fast. But they seem to outsmart the immune system in a different way - they do not generate a long lasting immunity, which allows them to reinfect without modifying their key envelope proteins that much. So if that's the case for coronavirus vaccines as well (we know very little about coronavirus vaccines so far though), you may have to use yearly vaccinations (or at some frequency) as a boost to regenerate antibodies.

Be careful about talking about strains - the virus for the second infection was genetically different, which is what allowed to confirm that there was a 2nd infection via sequencing, but not a new strain per se. Nothing indicated that the variant virus developed the key functional mutations that makes it a new strain.

The 2nd infection occurred likely because the patient did not have neutralizing antibodies from the 1st infection - but the lack of symptoms does point to a successful immune response that kept the virus titres and disease in check in the patient. It will be interesting to see if they can confirm the presence of specific T cells for example.
good to know, I was using strains based on the reports about the case.
Physicians at first thought he might be a persistent carrier of the virus, the study’s authors write, but they sequenced the genome of his first and second infections to show the virus strains were different, indicating he had been reinfected.

Back