Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

In MA, crowed sizes are being being cut back from 100 to 50 again. And phase 3 part 2 has been put on hold indefinitely by our governor today.

During todays press conference the governor is urging school districts to go the path of remote learning if they can in September.

NBC interviewed some parents on their reaction to this news and I was shocked by what people had to say.

For example, one mother they interviewed said that the state has done enough harm to kids by not having them in the classroom. It is highly inappropriate to push back on getting students back into the classroom.

Being from MA, I’m sure you saw the story about the woman at the school board meeting in NH. She got up and said that based upon mortality rates, only 2 children would die in their district, and it was unfair to inconvenience 2,400 students and their families for 2 children. If that doesn’t get to the crux of the problem in this country I don’t know what does. How did we become a society that is so self centered and doesn’t give a shit about our neighbors. It’s appalling.

Being from MA, I’m sure you saw the story about the woman at the school board meeting in NH. She got up and said that based upon mortality rates, only 2 children would die in their district, and it was unfair to inconvenience 2,400 students and their families for 2 children. If that doesn’t get to the crux of the problem in this country I don’t know what does. How did we become a society that is so self centered and doesn’t give a shit about our neighbors. It’s appalling.
I mean, would she volunteer her child to die to not inconvenience the rest? That’s the exact question I would level to her right then and right there.

I need to get my kids computers. I have a feeling that this is going to happen when we start in September.

Unfortunately, even with a low background community case loads and best practices, it will continue to happen here and there (and with high community spread, it's essentially a certainty). Best be as prepared as possible just in case.

I need to get my kids computers. I have a feeling that this is going to happen when we start in September.
My sister and her partner are teachers; the partner is going straight into the classroom, which they both predict will involve ~2 weeks of classes which result in an outbreak or recognition that socially-distanced learning is untenable, followed by a return to remote learning. My sister has managed to "begin" her class with 2 weeks of remote learning with "plans" to start learning in-studio (art professor), but fully well plans on riding those two weeks out before her school admits remote learning is the way to go.

New Hampshire just issued a mask mandate. This mask mandate requires you to wear a mask when in gatherings of 100 people or more.

Yeah, you red that right. If you are out in public and are not participating in a gathering of 100 people or more you still don't need to wear a mask.

Why did they just enact this mandate? Bike week is coming up in Laconia next week. And this mandate comes in response to what they saw at other bike rallies just recently.

150 or so parents were outside of the statehouse in Boston today protesting to have the Governor allow schools to open back up.

They are saying clearer direction is needed from the governor. They either want direction to open all schools fully back up in September or want a date for when that happens. None of this let's play it by ear and see how things are going and make a decision when it's safe.

One parent the news interviewed said lets follow the data, which shows it's safe for kids to go back to school. Especially the younger ones. Sure, most younger kids won't get sick, but they can spread it.

150 or so parents were outside of the statehouse in Boston today protesting to have the Governor allow schools to open back up.

They are saying clearer direction is needed from the governor. They either want direction to open all schools fully back up in September or want a date for when that happens. None of this let's play it by ear and see how things are going and make a decision when it's safe.

One parent the news interviewed said lets follow the data, which shows it's safe for kids to go back to school. Especially the younger ones. Sure, most younger kids won't get sick, but they can spread it.
It's super tough for everyone. The public education system is the grease on the wheels of the 9-5 workday.

My sister and her partner are teachers; the partner is going straight into the classroom, which they both predict will involve ~2 weeks of classes which result in an outbreak or recognition that socially-distanced learning is untenable, followed by a return to remote learning. My sister has managed to "begin" her class with 2 weeks of remote learning with "plans" to start learning in-studio (art professor), but fully well plans on riding those two weeks out before her school admits remote learning is the way to go.
It's like your sister's partner understands the basics of viral spread. You think our government officials could figure this out too. :rolleyes:
I'm looking at this proposal and it's mostly pretty benign. They want no fast food advertising before 9 am and calorie counts on menus. We have calorie counts on menus over here and it's not too obtrusive. I like the cycling initiative, but they're right that it doesn't really go far enough to address some societal factors like the fact that foods low in nutrition and high in calories costs much less than nutritionally dense foods with lower calories. We really need to relook at our food subsidies and nutritional programs like SNAP and WIC to reward people, in some way, for purchasing nutritionally dense foods. The other issue is with homelessness and the ability for people to cook in their residences because that's not something that we can assume. Many people live in rentals or hotel rooms where there is no kitchen. Fresh food access should also not be assumed in these instances because where there is a large amount of poverty, there are usually food deserts--neighborhoods with no access to fresh food or groceries; the grocery store is not within walking distance.

So yeah, this is a good first step, but it will not impact the behavior of the poorest people who are also the most at risk.

Back